concretions found on Mars by robot

Old February 12th 04, 07:06 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default concretions found on Mars by robot

I read a few days ago that one of the robots found concretions on
Mars. Have not seen followup reports. I was wondering if these
concretions were Manganese Nodules as those found on Earth in the
oceans.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
Old February 12th 04, 07:18 AM
George

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
om...
I read a few days ago that one of the robots found concretions on
Mars. Have not seen followup reports. I was wondering if these
concretions were Manganese Nodules as those found on Earth in the
oceans.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Get with the program dude. Read the posts!

Old February 12th 04, 06:47 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Archy:
1) they observed marble-size spheres.

2) many processes produce spheres

3)Most concretions (but not all) are not spheroidal--especially if
developed in a sedimentary rock

4) Manganese nodules are not spherical most of the time.

As stated by others in this forum, at first glance the rock looks like
a volcanic tuff.
Nasa just seems to have a hard time finding water, or pond deposits, ar
anything that on small scale seems sedimentary associated with water/

Old February 14th 04, 07:28 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Robert Ehrlich wrote in message news:JSPWb.163646$U%5.727596@attbi_s03...
Archy:
1) they observed marble-size spheres.

2) many processes produce spheres

3)Most concretions (but not all) are not spheroidal--especially if
developed in a sedimentary rock

4) Manganese nodules are not spherical most of the time.

As stated by others in this forum, at first glance the rock looks like
a volcanic tuff.
Nasa just seems to have a hard time finding water, or pond deposits, ar
anything that on small scale seems sedimentary associated with water/

--- quoting news ---
Rover Seeks Hematite in Martian Soil
AP - Sat Feb
14,10:59 AM ET
The Opportunity
rover has a big weekend
planned, with the
vehicle expected to explore a
patch of Mars soil
that scientists hope will prove
rich in the
iron-bearing mineral hematite, which
typically forms in
water.
--- end quoting news ---

Robert, since the aerial photos imply gray-hematite over broad regions
of Mars
I suspect the probability favors that the Rover will find abundant
hematite in the soil. I think the scales are heavily tipped in favor
of proving there were vast oceans on Mars rather than not.

Robert, question, is there any sort of connection between the amount
of oceans to the amount of hematite found? And is there a connection
between the forming of hematite and the forming of coal? Is there some
sort of hematite type that implies there to be coal formations?

Can there be a planet with all the varieties of hematite yet no coal?

Old February 14th 04, 09:59 PM
George

[...]

Pleae note Mr. Archy that neither the MGS TES nor the rover TES has
identified abundant carbon in any of their measurements.

Old February 14th 04, 10:04 PM
Richard I. Gibson

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
And is there a connection
between the forming of hematite and the forming of coal? Is there some
sort of hematite type that implies there to be coal formations?

Can there be a planet with all the varieties of hematite yet no coal?

Very significant volumes of hematite on this planet (earth) lie
in banded iron formations, which are almost all more than 1.8
billion years old. The oldest coal beds were formed probably in
Silurian time, less than 400 million years ago. So, for, say,
1.4 billion years or more, earth was a planet with plenty of
hematite and no coal.

--
_____________________________________
Richard I. Gibson, Gibson Consulting

Education Director, World Museum of Mining
http://www.miningmuseum.org

Remove Roman 1993 to reply

Old February 15th 04, 09:56 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

"Richard I. Gibson" wrote in message ...
Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
And is there a connection
between the forming of hematite and the forming of coal? Is there some
sort of hematite type that implies there to be coal formations?

Can there be a planet with all the varieties of hematite yet no coal?

Very significant volumes of hematite on this planet (earth) lie
in banded iron formations, which are almost all more than 1.8
billion years old. The oldest coal beds were formed probably in
Silurian time, less than 400 million years ago. So, for, say,
1.4 billion years or more, earth was a planet with plenty of
hematite and no coal.

Thanks for the information. I eagerly await each day for news of the
two
Rovers.

Recently I bought a watercolor picture by John Whelan of Three Oaks
Hill of 1981.
I bought it because the oak trees remind me of my front yard with its
Burr Oak trees. But also because my art collection does not have
enough orange color and this picture has loads of orange. And most of
all, I decided to buy it because, well, the Mars Rovers are exploring
the "orange planet" in these months of January and February, so I have
a picture that satisfies me artistically on three accounts.

Question to anyone out there. Is there an actual place called Three
Oaks Hill where John Whelan painted this scene??

Old February 15th 04, 04:33 PM
George

[...]

Ok. If you say so.

Question to anyone out there. Is there an actual place called Three
Oaks Hill where John Whelan painted this scene??

Hahaha. I suggest you ask the guy who painted the picture. By the way, the
only John Whelan I have heard of plays Celtic music.