What the eclipse actually does

Old August 19th 17, 06:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default What the eclipse actually does

So here we are a few days before the moon moves to its orbital position between the Earth and the Sun thereby opening up an astronomical vista by suspending the normal restrictions we have of the solar system and planetary motions -

http://en.es-static.us/upl/2016/11/r...7595696172.jpg

I have seen some wonderful graphics over the last few days skirting many of the topics covered here but all are sterile on how we see things from a moving Earth and the difference between the inner planets, outer planets and how the stars move from left to right of the Sun due to the orbital motion of the Earth. The price of celestial sphere observing is therefore terrible..

I will look forward to images of Mercury to the right of the Sun as it continues its journey to swing in front of the Sun and Venus as it continues its journey to travel behind the Sun but I will do this alone.

Old August 19th 17, 08:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

That should be Mercury to the left of the Sun before moves in front of the Sun, overtakes our slower moving planet and turns into a dawn appearance and the right of the Sun. Venus as a dawn appearance will ultimately move behind the Sun and become an evening appearance once more.
Old August 20th 17, 08:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Good luck to those who will be able to see the inner solar system with Mercury to the left of the Sun and Venus to the right and heading back in behind the Sun. Wish I could be there to see it.