"Binocular Albireos"

Old November 20th 04, 06:53 AM

Strange... I clearly remember (and my log confirms that) them as blue
and orange-red. My atlas also confirms this by listing nu1 as spectral
type K, and nu2 as A.

Thanks all for the suggestions by the way. I'll soon be on my way out
the door to check WZ Cassiopeia out.

- Cesar

Old November 20th 04, 07:00 AM
SaberScorpX

Still no nu Bootes (maybe too wide a pair...)

nu1 and nu2 Boo are a white and yellow-gold 5th mag. optical pair with a sep.
of 10'.

That should read 'blue-white' and yellow-orange'.
They are a wide pair, and opticals are overlooked in alot
of lists.
But if I had to pick my favorites, they would be the opticals
as they are unique from our perspective on Earth.
Binaries, on the other hand, can't help but be doubles

SSX

Old November 20th 04, 09:11 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I guess with binoculars one just has to
find out for oneself. I'm just back from trying WZ Cas, but the whole
thing was too faint (light pollution!). To compensate, however, I found
orange rho Cas to be a good binocular match to the 10' closeby very
blue V373 Cas.

Omicron Cygni is a great suggestion, it looks promising on the chart. I
will try the Cygnus region soon.

Best,

- Cesar

PS: I also found this nice collection of binocular objects that others
may find useful (includes Omicron-1 Cygni):
http://www.dibonsmith.com/binoc_tb.htm

Old November 20th 04, 03:33 PM
SabiaJohn

SO, I wonder if anybody has noticed nu Bootes the same way, and if
there is a list somewhere of similar targets. Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

Best,

- Cesar

I have a small list that I compiled over the last two years. Can be found
he

http://members.aol.com/sabiajohn/lasnews.html

John D. Sabia
Old November 22nd 04, 04:33 AM
Robert Sheaffer

Canopus wrote:

One minor problem with the USNO list is the authors do not
cross-reference each star's Bayer name. For example, HR382 on the list
is simply phi Cass. These cross-references can easily be decoded using
Simbad at:

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/sim-fid.pl

RTGUI will cross-reference HR numbers with Bayer and/or Flamsteed
designations, where they exist. For example, a search of HR 382 brings
up:

HR 382, Phi Cas, 34 Cas, SAO 22191, Dbl 135" 7.0

(Actually, that last field isn't there in Rel. 6, but will be with the
next release.) You can do this search on your laptop, out in the field.
You don't need an internet connection.

www.rtgui.com

--
Robert Sheaffer - User name "Roberto" at debunker-dot-com
Skeptical to the Max!

Old November 23rd 04, 07:05 PM
SaberScorpX

Are there any other
binocular Albireos?

Ran across an easy, colorful ~5th mag. optical quartet 6 deg.
south of Markab (SW corner of the Great Square).
58 (B9), 55 (M2), 57 (M4), and 59 (A5) Pegasi.
A 7th mag. (M5) star accentuates the group.