70% eclipse worked out fine in Toronto

Old August 21st 17, 11:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default 70% eclipse worked out fine in Toronto

No, unfortunately not total, have to wait for 2024 for that, but it was clear and the sun displayed a lot of activity in addition to the eclipse event itself. A decent viewing/shooting session. I used a 5" Mak, 4" apo, two Coronados.
Old August 22nd 17, 12:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 3:40:22 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
No, unfortunately not total, have to wait for 2024 for that, but it was clear and the sun displayed a lot of activity in addition to the eclipse event itself. A decent viewing/shooting session. I used a 5" Mak, 4" apo, two Coronados.

70% here too, in California!
I just used a cheap 60 mm Meade spotting scope /w Badder solar filter, mount the scope on a heavy camera tripod.
Worked very well, even seen some of the larger sun spots.
Turned into a small Eclipse party in front of my house, had a chance to meet with some of my mysterious neighbors too.
Snapped a few photos of the eclipse, using a Canon SX40 HS long zoom (800 mm) camera, shooting hand held. Not going to win an astro photo contest, but some thing for the memories.
Over all, it was fun!
Old August 22nd 17, 11:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

RichA wrote:
No, unfortunately not total, have to wait for 2024 for that, but it was
clear and the sun displayed a lot of activity in addition to the eclipse
event itself. A decent viewing/shooting session. I used a 5" Mak, 4" apo, two Coronados.

I have friends in Ontario. I'll be there in 2024 if I'm still alive.