Minuteman ICBM reaches Mach 1 at 60-ft above launcher?

Old October 22nd 03, 08:47 PM
Rusty B

Default Minuteman ICBM reaches Mach 1 at 60-ft above launcher?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:16:19 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

Rand Simberg wrote:

Seems dubious to me. Unless I screwed up the calculation, that means
over 300 g acceleration (zero to 760 mph in sixty feet). I'm pretty
sure its liftoff T/W is nowhere near that...

The only one I can think of that would do that is the Sprint ABM.

Pat

I wonder if they really mean to say, the EXHAUST from the ICBM is SUPERSONIC
at 60-ft and blows back into the silo at those speeds, causing damage?

--
Rusty Barton - Antelope, California |
E-mail - |
Old October 23rd 03, 07:56 AM
Pat Flannery

Rusty B wrote:

I wonder if they really mean to say, the EXHAUST from the ICBM is SUPERSONIC
at 60-ft and blows back into the silo at those speeds, causing damage?

The exhaust is going to be supersonic within a second after ignition, It
blows a giant smoke ring out of the silo as the missile begins to
emerge: http://www.llnl.gov/str/JulAug01/gifs/Tyler3.jpg

Pat

Old October 23rd 03, 08:15 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:56:33 -0500, Pat Flannery
made the sensational claim that:
The exhaust is going to be supersonic within a second after ignition, It
blows a giant smoke ring out of the silo as the missile begins to
emerge: http://www.llnl.gov/str/JulAug01/gifs/Tyler3.jpg

Uh oh, what's that obviously unindentifable disk above the missle generating
its own "launch" plume? Clearly, the minuteman was launched to shoot down
the UFO! Which is so plainly executing an evasive maneuver! Jeez, and I bet
this group goes and gives some "reasonable explanation" like maybe I should
not post whilst drinking tang & vodka, but I'm no fool. I know what I see two
of!
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you