JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone"

Old October 19th 03, 02:51 AM
G EddieA95

Default JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone"

In the current days, most americans are unaware of
what is really going on in american prisons, airports, and streets.

Prisons maybe. Airports and streets are public venues, and what happens there
is seen by others who will talk. We don't have effective censorship.

I submit that prisons *everywhere* are nasty places. They are meant to be.

And what is so horrible about our airport measures? Is protecting human life
not worth causing some people momentary embarassment?
Old October 19th 03, 04:06 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
G EddieA95 wrote:
And what is so horrible about our airport measures? Is protecting human life
not worth causing some people momentary embarassment?

If the ridiculous nonsense now going on at airports was actually of any
protective value, that argument might have some force.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old October 20th 03, 10:49 AM
G EddieA95

Tell that to arab-looking americans who were pulled out of line and
detained.

Unfortunately, that *happens* in time of war.

A Syrian-Canadian who was travelling through the US had this happen to him.
The Canadian had a stop over in NY and abruptly disappeared... only to
reappear in a Syrian jail 48 hours later.

Boo-hoo-hoo. Poor helpless child. If he was innocent why would *Syria* --NOT
a US ally--lock him up?!!!
Old October 20th 03, 04:02 PM
Dave

"G EddieA95" wrote in message
Tell that to arab-looking americans who were pulled out of line and
detained.

Unfortunately, that *happens* in time of war.

A Syrian-Canadian who was travelling through the US had this happen to

him.
The Canadian had a stop over in NY and abruptly disappeared... only to
reappear in a Syrian jail 48 hours later.

Boo-hoo-hoo. Poor helpless child. If he was innocent why would

*Syria* --NOT
a US ally--lock him up?!!!

I have assumed that there was a reason why the person in question had left
Syria in the first place.

It is a "not nice" place by all accounts. Especially for people who've
decided to leave.

Old October 20th 03, 04:05 PM
Dave

"G EddieA95" wrote in message
In the current days, most americans are unaware of
what is really going on in american prisons, airports, and streets.

Prisons maybe. Airports and streets are public venues, and what happens

there
is seen by others who will talk. We don't have effective censorship.

I submit that prisons *everywhere* are nasty places. They are meant to

be.

And what is so horrible about our airport measures? Is protecting human

life
not worth causing some people momentary embarassment?

I think he's talking about what happens within the INS system.

Having had to sit still and keep quiet while an INS officer shouted at my
wife and tried to get her to say that she was an Afrikaaner racist who had
supported apartheid, I have little time for them. NB: this was pre-9-11.

The INS have pretty much carte-blanc while you are that side of the
immigration barrier.

The security arrangements going through aren't all that much of a concern to
me. If anything I'd still like to see things tightened up more.

Old October 20th 03, 04:33 PM
Paul Blay

"Dave" wrote ...

"G EddieA95" wrote in message

A Syrian-Canadian who was travelling through the US had this happen to
him.
The Canadian had a stop over in NY and abruptly disappeared... only to
reappear in a Syrian jail 48 hours later.

Boo-hoo-hoo. Poor helpless child. If he was innocent why would
*Syria* --NOT a US ally--lock him up?!!!

Your assertion then is that non-US allies can be trusted not to lock up innocents
but US allies can't? As it happens locking up people that are inconvenient is one
of Syria's specialities. They also have a habit of locking up anybody handy
rather than risking close looks into terrorist activities that are actually taking place
in their country.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/eng-syr/index

I have assumed that there was a reason why the person in question had left
Syria in the first place.

Is this your 'person in question' perhaps?
http://www.edelsonandassociates.com/...her%20Arar.htm

There are some 'choice' bits
"The Canadian government was not contacted about Mr. Arar's case until after he had
been deported"

"deported in a hearing where he apparently had no legal representation."

"[...] deporting him to his country of birth, namely, Syria, when he did not carry a Syrian
passport, is a Canadian Citizen, and was travelling with a Canadian Passport"

It seems he has just been released after a year in prison without being charged
and is not to be detained when he returns to Canada.

http://www.edelsonandassociates.com/...0100603-23.htm
Old October 20th 03, 04:50 PM
Dave

"Paul Blay" wrote in message

I have assumed that there was a reason why the person in question had

left
Syria in the first place.

Is this your 'person in question' perhaps?
http://www.edelsonandassociates.com/...her%20Arar.htm

There are some 'choice' bits
"The Canadian government was not contacted about Mr. Arar's case until

after he had
been deported"

"deported in a hearing where he apparently had no legal representation."

"[...] deporting him to his country of birth, namely, Syria, when he did

not carry a Syrian
passport, is a Canadian Citizen, and was travelling with a Canadian

Passport"

It seems he has just been released after a year in prison without being

charged
and is not to be detained when he returns to Canada.

http://www.edelsonandassociates.com/...Coverage/Arar%
20100603-23.htm

Ah... the INS... how I know thee... ;-)

Old October 21st 03, 05:13 AM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:06:38 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Henry Spencer) made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

In article ,
G EddieA95 wrote:
And what is so horrible about our airport measures? Is protecting human life
not worth causing some people momentary embarassment?

If the ridiculous nonsense now going on at airports was actually of any
protective value, that argument might have some force.

No kidding.

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old October 21st 03, 05:14 AM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:02:20 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
"Dave" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

A Syrian-Canadian who was travelling through the US had this happen to

him.
The Canadian had a stop over in NY and abruptly disappeared... only to
reappear in a Syrian jail 48 hours later.

Boo-hoo-hoo. Poor helpless child. If he was innocent why would

*Syria* --NOT
a US ally--lock him up?!!!

I have assumed that there was a reason why the person in question had left
Syria in the first place.

There could be many reasons, some perfectly understandable, and some
sinister.