Canon digital SLR question

Old August 29th 06, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.[_2_]

Default Canon digital SLR question

I have two Canon film cameras -- EOS 630 and EOS Rebel-G. When the shutter
trips, the mirror flips up and down and the film advances all of which is
LOUD and noisy.

What happens when you trip the shutter in a digital SLR?? Obviously the
film doesn't advance but do you still get the mirror slap noise?

I'm looking for a quiet camera and it looks as though I'll have to go
backward in time to an old viewfinder camera or forward to the present to a
viewfinder digital.

Old August 30th 06, 12:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

Joe S. wrote:
I have two Canon film cameras -- EOS 630 and EOS Rebel-G. When the shutter
trips, the mirror flips up and down and the film advances all of which is
LOUD and noisy.

What happens when you trip the shutter in a digital SLR?? Obviously the
film doesn't advance but do you still get the mirror slap noise?

Yup. You get the mirror and the shutter noises, just like a film
SLR. Some DSLRs have mirror lock; I reflashed my Digital
Rebel to add the feature.

I'm looking for a quiet camera and it looks as though I'll have to go
backward in time to an old viewfinder camera or forward to the present to a
viewfinder digital.

My quietest camera is my Crown Graphic. Leaf shutter,
rangefinder focusing. Actually, all my vintage leaf shutter
cameras are very nearly silent, just a soft click.

My noisiest camera is my Pentax 67. Huge mirror, huge
shutter. Thwup...ka-CHUNK!

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old August 30th 06, 01:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley

Joe S. wrote:
I have two Canon film cameras -- EOS 630 and EOS Rebel-G. When the shutter
trips, the mirror flips up and down and the film advances all of which is
LOUD and noisy.

What happens when you trip the shutter in a digital SLR?? Obviously the
film doesn't advance but do you still get the mirror slap noise?

I'm looking for a quiet camera and it looks as though I'll have to go
backward in time to an old viewfinder camera or forward to the present to a
viewfinder digital.

Surface Brightness of Deep-Sky Objects Measured with a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/astro/sur...roduction.html

FILM versus DIGITAL Discussion and Executive Summary
http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/index.html
Old August 30th 06, 06:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
CW

Does this mean the Canon 300D (7.3um pixels) is more sensitive than the
350D(6.2um pixels)?

I am thinking of getting a cheap 300D or wait for the Rebel XTi.

CW
Old August 30th 06, 02:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:46:52 -0400, CW wrote:

Does this mean the Canon 300D (7.3um pixels) is more sensitive than the
350D(6.2um pixels)?

I am thinking of getting a cheap 300D or wait for the Rebel XTi.

Sensitivity is determined by S/N. The larger pixels on the 300D sensor
can hold a larger charge than those of the 350D, which is good. But the
newer 350D sensor has better noise specs. When you combine these, it
turns out the 350D has a little higher S/N- that is, better sensitivity.

That said, the 300D has excellent performance (certainly, it already has
more pixels than most people need for astroimaging). If you are looking
for a DSLR, it is going to be hard to beat in terms of value.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 30th 06, 02:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
whowell

laura halliday wrote:

Yup. You get the mirror and the shutter noises, just like a film
SLR. Some DSLRs have mirror lock; I reflashed my Digital
Rebel to add the feature.

Laura....

"reflashed"--??

Can you explain that a bit?

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old August 30th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley

whowell wrote:
laura halliday wrote:

Yup. You get the mirror and the shutter noises, just like a film
SLR. Some DSLRs have mirror lock; I reflashed my Digital
Rebel to add the feature.

Laura....

"reflashed"--??

Can you explain that a bit?

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA

Updated firmware in flash memory.

Old August 30th 06, 02:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:45:53 -0700, whowell
wrote:

"reflashed"--??

Can you explain that a bit?

There is a free, independently produced firmware update (a hack if you
prefer) for the 300D that activates most of the features found in the
10D (mirror lock, flash exposure comp, and others). It is highly
recommended if you have a 300D, whether you use if for astroimaging or
ordinary photography.

The hack is very safe, and completely reversible. See
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ware_hack.html

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 30th 06, 06:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig M. Bobchin

Wayne,

Laura means that she upgraded her camera's rom with a newer version of
the firmware to add features that would normally be inaccesable. Google
digital reble russian firmware hack to get the info on all that it can
do and the instructions on how to upgrade the firmware in the camera.

Craig

In article ,
says...

Old August 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tim Killian

Joe S. wrote:
I have two Canon film cameras -- EOS 630 and EOS Rebel-G. When the shutter
trips, the mirror flips up and down and the film advances all of which is
LOUD and noisy.

What happens when you trip the shutter in a digital SLR?? Obviously the
film doesn't advance but do you still get the mirror slap noise?

I'm looking for a quiet camera and it looks as though I'll have to go
backward in time to an old viewfinder camera or forward to the present to a
viewfinder digital.

Cannon is claiming the XTi will have sensor noise less than or equal to
the XT. They accomplished this by slimming down the filler areas between
pixels and making the microlenses smaller. This allows the smaller
pixels to achieve the same S/N ratio as the larger pixels used in the XT.

I too was considering a 300D, but now that the XTi is announced, I think
I'll wait a few weeks and go with the more modern features available in
that model, DigicII processor, self-cleaning sensor, magnifier option on
the LCD (like the 20Da), mirror lock up, etc.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XTI/XTIA.HTM