same shaping force? Galaxy, solar system, planets?

Old July 20th 03, 08:55 PM
Scribe2b

Default same shaping force? Galaxy, solar system, planets?

these bodies apparently are disk-shaped by the same geometrical forces. (?)

with each you have a somewhat enlarged globular center with a very thin ring or
arms emanating outwards from a midpoint in the central structure.

in galaxies you have a black hole in a galaxy center with billions of stars in
a thin disk or spiral arms,
and in a solar system similarly you have a star in a system center,
and in many planets each with its own ring/moons on a plane from center.

this configuration seems almost universal.

really dumb question--- when and if it eventually returns back in upon itself,
why would not the universe be similarly shaped?

TIA
jc
Old July 20th 03, 10:05 PM
Scribe2b

these bodies apparently are disk-shaped by the same geometrical forces. (?)

with each you have a somewhat enlarged globular center with a very thin ring

or
arms emanating outwards from a midpoint in the central structure

forget the universe.
why are these structures all disk shaped?
thanks
jc
Old July 20th 03, 10:56 PM
bwhiting

Unlikely, because there would be no "central mass" with which to start
the flattening process, NOR the rotational forces present, as with
Saturn's rings, our Solar System, and spiral galaxies in general. (Your
small samplings, containing a massive 'core').

[And BTW, flattening is not really Universal...something like 80% (or
more) of *all* galaxies are of the elliptical variety, and are, more or
less, spherordical in shape....ie...not 'flattened', probably because
of low, or no, rotational component and/or very even distribution of
stellar masses. So since we assume that the entire known visible
Universe is pretty much 'evenly distributed', AND non-rotating, would it
not be more likely to assume a (continued) spherical shape,
similar to an {E-1 or E-2} elliptical galaxy, as opposed to any other
shape? (If there were money involved, that's where I'd place MY best bet!)

But the question, even a hypothetical one, while not dumb, is
meaningless under today's outlook, because we (our Universe) are on a
one-way trip outbound, and not only expanding, but evidently are
*accelerating* our outbound expansion, according to the latest
3 independent studies. The "Big Crunch" ending has pretty much been
ruled out....even before the 'acceleration' component was recently
discovered. Ours is an eventual "heat death", due to lack of energy.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Old July 21st 03, 08:58 PM
SpaceBass

"Scribe2b" wrote in message
these bodies apparently are disk-shaped by the same geometrical forces.

(?)
---snip---
this configuration seems almost universal.

really dumb question--- when and if it eventually returns back in upon

itself,
why would not the universe be similarly shaped?

TIA
jc

I've wondered the same thing myself... and you can take in the opposite
direction, too. On a molecular level, with electrons orbiting around
protons, it seems to me to follow a similar configuration(albeit spherical
rather than planar). It's almost like a fractal image, one can keep zooming
out and see similar patterns arranging themselves.
Just a thought...
-Jeremy-

Old July 21st 03, 09:22 PM
Scribe2b

On a molecular level, with electrons orbiting around
protons, it seems to me to follow a similar configuration(albeit spherical
rather than planar). It's almost like a fractal image, one can keep zooming
out and see similar patterns arranging themselves.

if 4 dimensions are necessary to describe the universe, why would not 4 apply
to atomic and subatomic realms as well?
jc
Old July 21st 03, 09:28 PM
Magnus Nyborg

"SpaceBass" wrote in message

[...]

I've wondered the same thing myself... and you can take in the opposite
direction, too. On a molecular level, with electrons orbiting around
protons, it seems to me to follow a similar configuration(albeit spherical

Electrons do not orbit around the nucleon in any way even remotely similar
to a rotating disk.

Clear Skies,
Magnus

Old July 21st 03, 09:35 PM
bwhiting

I just don't think we can extrapolate anything, shape included,
from the quantum world (where I've read that there may be as
many as 10 or 11 dimensions) to the macroworld....with its 4 dimensions
(including time here).
They literally are, "2 completely different" worlds, with completely
different laws, and probably don't even know (or care) that 'the other'
world exists.
FWIW,
Tom W.