Does Mars need women? Russians say no

Old February 18th 05, 11:27 PM
Fred J. McCall

Pat Flannery wrote:

:Scott Hedrick wrote:
:
:THe Russians have a "penguin suit"- would the placement of weights in and
:around the suit help, similar to the use of weights while power walking?
:While it wouldn't eliminate the need for exercise, it should provide some
:benefit, and the weights could be removed when they would cause problems. A
:constant small stress has got to provide some benefit.
:
:Astronauts and cosmonauts who've used the "penguin suits" really dislike them.
:I take it the idea of the weights is to force them to move mass around
:with their movements; how about a suit that contained springs to work
:against instead? Alternately, one with air pressurized tubes that would
:take effort to move, thereby using the stiffness problem of pressure
:suits to one's advantage?

The problem is that we don't really know that ANY of those will help
much.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 19th 05, 12:05 AM
Pat Flannery

Fred J. McCall wrote:

The problem is that we don't really know that ANY of those will help

The only sure cure is a one G artificial gravity field IMHO; so we had
better start looking at centrifugal force arrangements.

Pat
Old February 19th 05, 04:41 AM
sh'maal

Although counterintuitive, this fellow makes a case that women may
experience less osteoporosis in space than men:
http://www.femsinspace.com/femalecrew.htm

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote in message
Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote:
Fred J. McCall wrote:

Think 'calcium loss'. I think this affects women
much more severely than men.

So now we're sending post-menopausal women to Mars?

Seriously, women don't have a higher risk of
osteoporosis until after menopause.

That was not my understanding of what the space medicine
studies indicated. Women under zero-g lose calcium more
quickly than men do, as I recall it.

Where would I find those studies (or even a reference to women
experiencing greater bone loss)? Because I'm not finding them.

Calcium loss is pretty much THE big problem we're aware of
with prolonged exposure to zero-g.

From what I've read, it's as big a roadblock for men as it is for women.

rl

Old February 19th 05, 06:06 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Rhonda Lea Kirk" wrote:
: Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
: Think 'calcium loss'. I think this affects women
: much more severely than men.
:
: So now we're sending post-menopausal women to Mars?
:
: Seriously, women don't have a higher risk of
: osteoporosis until after menopause.
:
: That was not my understanding of what the space
: medicine
: studies indicated. Women under zero-g lose calcium
: more
: quickly than men do, as I recall it.
:
:Where would I find those studies (or even a reference
:to women experiencing greater bone loss)? Because I'm
:not finding them.

I don't find them now, either. In fact, what I do find says there is
insufficient data to tell with certainty. Presumably, what I was
recalling was some preliminary opinion years ago, rather like the one
that said that women didn't suffer from space adaptation syndrome
(space sickness). That one was wrong. It turned out they just got
lucky with the first one.

: Calcium loss is pretty much THE big problem we're aware of
: with prolonged exposure to zero-g.
:
:From what I've read, it's as big a roadblock for men as
:it is for women.

I believe the current opinion is 'unknown'. Given the differences in
metabolism (in all sorts of ways) between men and women I'm not sure
why you'd assume this one would be the same.

territory."
--G. Behn