2007 TU24 to be Radar Imaged in Great Detail.

Old January 25th 08, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default 2007 TU24 to be Radar Imaged in Great Detail.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n...id/index2.html

We were all waiting for this announcement. Arecibo is a science jewel.
Old January 25th 08, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

D. Orbitt wrote:

Arecibo is going to be closed down, the univesity can't find anybody
with the money to keep it open. A shame too since they just finished
an upgrade and repainting not too long ago.

If they get some really good shots of TU24, maybe they will reconsider.

Asteroids are a major threat.
Old January 26th 08, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

bob haller safety advocate wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:35�pm, "D. Orbitt" wrote:
.

If they get some really good shots of TU24, maybe they will reconsider.
Asteroids are a major threat.

Not bloody likely, until AFTER a BIG ONE hits and causes major panic.
Only THEN will there be a political scramble for more and better
sapceguard funding and deployment. Absent that major knock onthe head,
don't count on politicians to do anything about it. They can't think
ahead any further than their next election.

"If they get some really good shots of TU24, maybe they will
reconsider."

Not unless they charge 2 million per picture. I think that's the bare
minimum the University spends on annual operations for "El Radar".
Could be more. Federal funding was cut with NASA's official blessing,
of course they just do what the President tells them.

No bucks, no Buck Rogers. �There are none so blind as those who will
not pay to let the telescope continue to see. When they shut down
Aricebo, the Goldstone dish will be the largest remaining operational
radio telescope I know of that's at all steerable. �Goldstone, last I
read, is usually tied up most of the time for DSTN and planetary probe
communications work.

There may be a powerful radar/radio telescope in Russia somewhere
that's bigger, but their programs are even more destitute than ours,
it's probably been turned into condos for nuveau-rich oil oligarcs and
Russian mafiosi.

Things look bleak and the best "hope" is to pray for a disaster, not
good.

nasa cuts all science in favor of ISS, even to the point of cutting
science from ISS

That's not true, they are cutting science if favor of VSE and ESAS.

Back to the topic at hand, there are preliminary images :

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=1692

Hopefully Arecibo will do better.
Old January 29th 08, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jan Vorbrggen[_2_]

When they shut down
Aricebo, the Goldstone dish will be the largest remaining operational
radio telescope I know of that's at all steerable.

Effelsberg in Germany is larger (100 m vs 70 m dish diameter) and is
used for research exclusively.

But loosing Arecibo will really be a shame.

Jan
Old January 29th 08, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Andr, PE1PQX

Jan Vorbrggen stelde dit ide voor :
When they shut down
Aricebo, the Goldstone dish will be the largest remaining operational
radio telescope I know of that's at all steerable.

Effelsberg in Germany is larger (100 m vs 70 m dish diameter) and is used for
research exclusively.

But loosing Arecibo will really be a shame.

Jan

Don't forget the dish array at Westerbork, see
http://www.astron.nl/p/WSRT2.htm

Andr

Old January 29th 08, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jim Kingdon

Don't forget the dish array at Westerbork, see
http://www.astron.nl/p/WSRT2.htm

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope (about 100m,
steerable).

But Arecibo, at 305 m, is much larger than any of these (although it
is only slightly steerable, so you have to wait for your target to
pass over the dish).
Old January 29th 08, 07:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Andr, PE1PQX

Jim Kingdon heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
Don't forget the dish array at Westerbork, see
http://www.astron.nl/p/WSRT2.htm

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope (about 100m,
steerable).

But Arecibo, at 305 m, is much larger than any of these (although it
is only slightly steerable, so you have to wait for your target to
pass over the dish).

Ah, okay... I thought you were talking about a disk array, not about a
single disc.
Anyway, here a google earth web link of Westerbork telescope array
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.43...842,-79.839411

Andr

Old January 29th 08, 08:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Andr wrote:
Jim Kingdon heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
Don't forget the dish array at Westerbork, see
http://www.astron.nl/p/WSRT2.htm

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope (about 100m,
steerable).

But Arecibo, at 305 m, is much larger than any of these (although it
is only slightly steerable, so you have to wait for your target to
pass over the dish).

Ah, okay... I thought you were talking about a disk array, not about a
single disc.
Anyway, here a google earth web link of Westerbork telescope array
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.43...842,-79.839411

Thanks guys, we'll all be looking for those close passing asteroid photo
ops. I think asteroid location, tracking and spectroscopy should be an
orbital affair as well, one would think it would work well enough in
LEO. Maybe that should be the next big thing, it would only take one
good impact to open peoples eyes and minds to the possibility of space.

That Peruvian impact just wasn't big enough, it only traumatized the
local villagers, which is not near enough of a crowd to do much good.

Old January 30th 08, 04:06 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

kT wrote:
Andr wrote:
Jim Kingdon heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
Don't forget the dish array at Westerbork, see
http://www.astron.nl/p/WSRT2.htm

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope (about 100m,
steerable).

But Arecibo, at 305 m, is much larger than any of these (although it
is only slightly steerable, so you have to wait for your target to
pass over the dish).

Ah, okay... I thought you were talking about a disk array, not about a
single disc.
Anyway, here a google earth web link of Westerbork telescope array
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.43...842,-79.839411

Just in :

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...-20080129.html
Old February 16th 08, 09:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.43...=0.3,0.3&t=k&q...

Just in :

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...-20080129.html

There is also a dish in Holland being brought back in Dingeloo. about
80 ft, Stainless Steel Mesh. I am working on keeping Jamesburg (30
meter steerable) from the wrecking ball, and think we may have a
buyer, who wants to use it for Xprize Communications. A bunch of
volunteer hams brought jamesburg from dormancy, and are doing Kick
Butt moonbounce with it.