Hubble Question...

Old February 29th 04, 06:20 AM
John Doe

Default Hubble Question...

wrote:
The basic laws of economics prevail; if it were possible, someone other
than the government would be putting satellites in orbit and making a
buck or two in the process.

The problem is that the ecomonics of space flight are skewed by excessive
subsidies. Boeing likes getting paid $20 million for a window. Politicians
love to have all that money pumped into their state. And NASA works to make it
all happen.

NASA micro manages Boeing, but the government also micro-manages NASA, telling
it it can't develop this, can't implement that etc. The one potential great
advancement for the space station was Transhab, but that got specifically
canned by the government.

I am sure some people at NASA know how to modify the existing shuttles so that
they cost much less to operate/maintain. But NASA doesn't have the authority
nor money to implement this.
Old March 1st 04, 06:28 AM
G EddieA95

There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?
Old March 1st 04, 05:46 PM
LooseChanj

On or about 01 Mar 2004 05:28:06 GMT, G EddieA95 made the sensational claim that:
There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?

IIRC, it was the aft compartment of the orbiter. Inside the ET would probably
require you being liquified first.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old March 1st 04, 09:04 PM
Hallerb

IIRC, it was the aft compartment of the orbiter. Inside the ET would
probably
require you being liquified first.

Ahh I assume people do occasionally enter the inside of the ET for inspwections
and such?
Old March 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , G EddieA95 wrote:
There were two (three?) fatalities inside Columbia before STS-1 - two
technicians were caught in an area purged of oxygen -

Was this on the orbiter, or inside the ET?

Inside Columbia; I think the aft compartment, though there's conflicting
versions. The area had been filled with nitrogen, and - presumably - the
technicians weren't aware of this. A couple of other people were
injured; I'm not sure if this was in the same incident, or whilst trying
to respond to it.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old March 1st 04, 11:31 PM
jeff findley

(Hallerb) writes:

Ahh I assume people do occasionally enter the inside of the ET for inspwections
and such?

This is made possible through the inspection hatches in the tank.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...ewsref/et.html

In the picture of the O2 tank, the manhole cover is shown. I'm sure
similar pictures of the H2 tank can be found.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.