Criticism of the terms "Zero Gravity" and "Microgravity"

Old August 28th 19, 12:11 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Criticism of the terms "Zero Gravity" and "Microgravity"

In article ,
says...
As it stands today, NASA itself is one of the biggest promoters of the
erroneous terms "zero gravity" and "microgravity" (along with the
similarly erroneous term "reduced gravity"). Astronauts themselves have
been quoted as having experienced "no gravity" while in space. Surely
they are aware that there was plenty of gravity throughout every orbit
they made, with gravity being the very thing that pulled them into an
orbit.

Agreed. The personally term I like to use is "free fall". Anything in
orbit is falling towards earth due to gravity. It's just that the craft
is at orbital velocity which means it's going fast enough so that the
falling towards earth bit is cancelled out by the orbital velocity bit.
So, you get an orbit. But, it's still constantly falling, so "free
fall" seems quite descriptive, and correct, to me anyway.

Jeff