Astro Related Music - Please Add your favourites

Old April 23rd 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Astro Related Music - Please Add your favourites

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Vincent (it's about the van Gogh painting)

I thought it was about his suicide...

"Starry Night" is the title of this painting:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nGogh-starry_n
ight.jpg/250px-VanGogh-starry_night.jpg

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old April 23rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Stephen Tonkin typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Vincent (it's about the van Gogh painting)

I thought it was about his suicide...

"Starry Night" is the title of this painting:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nGogh-starry_n
ight.jpg/250px-VanGogh-starry_night.jpg

Indeed, so you posted last week.

These are the full lyrics of the song. I still think it relates more to
his mental state than to the painting.

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
Portraits hung in empty halls,
Frameless head on nameless walls,
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
Like the strangers that you've met,
The ragged men in the ragged clothes,
The silver thorn of bloody rose,
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will...

---------------------------------

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 23rd 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Indeed, so you posted last week.

Ah. I thought I had, but it didn't show up on my news server, so I
repeated it..

Old April 23rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In message , Andy G
writes
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine had a party when he opened and finished his new
observatory. Playing in the background was music that all the tracks had
some mention of Space/astronomy.

I am going through my music collection and started to compile a list of
space/astronomy related tunes.

If you have any favourites can you please add them to the list here, or mail
me off list, here area few to get going with

Most of Jefferson Starship's output qualifies :-)

David Bedford's Stars End (he's also written Tentacles Of The Dark
Nebula (Argo, 1974), composed in 1969; The Sword of Orion (1970); Some
Stars Above Magnitude 2.9 (1971), ,Star Clusters Nebulae And Places In
Devon but I haven't heard these)

Mike Oldfield wrote the score for "The Space Movie".
Old April 24th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Oh dear, late to the party as usual. How about

Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter

Leann Rimes - Can't fight the moonlight

K T Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope

No Doubt - Return of Saturn
Old April 26th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Andy G wrote:
David Bowie - Space Oddity

More David Bowie

Starman
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/david-bowie/36916.html

Life on Mars?
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/david-bowie/36794.html

.... + The Doors

Moonlight Drive
Not To Touch The Earth
Waiting for the Sun

:-)

Old April 28th 06, 05:39 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Andy G wrote

Fantastic, keep them coming!

Genesis: Afterglow.
Clannad: Northern skyline.
The Police: Bring on the night.
Deep Purple: Black night.
Santana: Moonflower.
King Crimson: Moonchild.
REM: Man on the moon.
Genesis: Mad man moon.
Deep Purple: Space truckin'.
Motorhead: Capricorn.
Yes: Starship trooper.
Glenn Hughes: Into the void.
Oasis: Champagne supernova.
The Beatles: Here comes the sun.
Maurice Ravel: Lever du jour (from Daphnis et Chloe)

--
Hil
Old April 28th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Hils wrote:
Andy G wrote

Fantastic, keep them coming!

Genesis: Afterglow.
Genesis: Mad man moon.

Genesis: Watcher of the skies
Old April 28th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

As this has now got completely out of hand, my second (and last)
contribution is;
from Captain Beefheart -
Space age couple
Flash gordons ape
The smithsonian institute blues (for ed conrad)
doctor dark

from Shakespears Sister -
red rocket
electric moon

from Art of Noise -
snapshot (I know, it's a big stretch...)

Lou Reed
Satellite of love

Ry Cooder
dark is the night
available space
UFO has landed in the ghetto

The Steve Miller band (and a few others)
Space cowboy (for Gerald... you know who I mean...)
My dark hour

:-)
Denis
--
DT
change nospam: n o s p a m
Old April 30th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Carsten A. Arnholm wrote

Genesis: Watcher of the skies

I'd forgotten that one (though I still have it on vinyl somewhere).

Also to add to my previous list, before "Afterglow"

Edward Elgar: The sun goeth down (from The Kingdom)

And for PST-holics

The Police: King of pain (for the first line)
Carl Ruggles: Suntreader
Carl Nielsen: Helios overture

--
Hil