Astro Related Music - Please Add your favourites

Old April 20th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Astro Related Music - Please Add your favourites

Stephen Tonkin typed

DT wrote:
what's that Don MacClean song about starry nights?

Vincent (it's about the van Gogh painting)

I thought it was about his suicide...

....and when no hope was left isght
on that starry, starry night,
You took your life as lovers often do...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 20th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In ,
M Holmes typed:

Well, there's the world premier spacerock band Hawkwind who mention
such
things in a song or two:

5/4 : My mind is going sequence from 2001
The 7th Star : bunch of star names mentioned
Abducted : alien abduction
Alien (I am) : self-explanatory
Altair : song title only
25 Years on : "They said there's life up there in the galaxy"
Angels of Death : "We were born to blaze a nuclear way through
space"
Angel Voices : takeoff check for passenger spacecraft
Astronauts : poetry track concerning same
The Awakening : astronauts awaken from cryosleep at end of
journey
Beam Me Up : obvious
The Black Corridor : Moorcock's description of space
Born To Go : About leaving Earth for space
Dream Worker : "Orbital status now maintained"
D-Rider : "Our constellations changing side"
Free Fall : title - song concerns freefall jump
Gaga : countdown
In Your Area : "Satellites watching the aliens beam you up"
Hippie : mentions all solar planet names
Kings of Speed : "on Frank and Beasley's rocket ship"
Lighthouse : about a lighthouse in space
Love in Space : what it sayss on the tin
The Nazca : intelligent life in the universe
Nuclear Drive : spacecraft with such
The Only Ones : "With radioscopes, electronic eyes"
Out of the Shadows : "Out of the stone age and onto The Moon"
PXR5 : about the spacecraft "PXR5"
Rambo in Space : What it says on the ammo box
Seven By Seven : "Seven signs rode on seven stars"
Silver Machine : "To your Zodiac Sign" (alt. lyrics have alien
visitor) Space is Deep : based on "The Black Corridor"
Space Travellers : another one about astronauts in cryosleep
Spirit of the Age : astronaut laments that relativity means his GF
is dead Sputnik Stan : spaceways garbage collector man
Star Cannibal : space zombies?
Uncle Sam's on Mars : excellent satire of US colonial ambitions in
space
Upside Down : about working in space
The Watcher : based on Sixties comic about ET doomed to watch
Earth

The Welcoming Hands of Space : paen to space travel
Where are They Now? : "Lonely starships hover in my empty
dreams" You'd Better Believe It : "Orion's stars are hard
tonight"
Technicians of Spaceship Earth : "Your captain is dead"
Ten Seconds of Forever : reverie in countdown to blastoff
Time We Left This World Today : title
Transdimensional Man : about travelling near lightspeed?
Note From a Cold Planet : about Earth in a new ice age
Coleridge on The Enterprise : obvious
5th Second of Forever : "High a planet in the sky"
First landing on Medusa : Astronauts arrive at new planet
The Joker of the Universe : Moorcock's Fireclown - much mention
of astronmy Master of the Universe : still what it says on
the tin
The Phenomenon of Luminosity : sample from Shepard on Friendship
Seven
Quark, Strangeness and Charm : Galileo, telescopes, black holes,
astronomers

Greetings from another Hawkwind fan here :-)

I already mentioned three of the Hawkwind tracks in this thread but you are
obviously Born to Go !

Jo

Old April 20th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

here's a few you may have missed :-)

Race Through Space, Jungles of Jupiter, Good morning Universe and Moon
Migration by Toyah

Satellite Kid and Planetary piped piper by the Dog's D'amour

Bark at the moon - Ozzy Osbourne

Old April 20th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Soundtracks from the musical Hair:

Aquarius

Walking in Space

Good Morning Starshine

Let The Sun Shine In

...and how about Telstar by The Tornados?

--
Andy Lawson

Old April 20th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Astro Related Music - one more

You're So Vain - Carly Simon?

Extract lyric:

"Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun"

If only..... if only....sigh

--
Andy Lawson

Old April 20th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Hi
I do not think Pluto by Colin Mathews to complete the missing planet from
Holst's 'The planets' has been mentioned yet and was premiered at one the
proms a year or two back
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67270.asp
Paul
"Andy G" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine had a party when he opened and finished his new
observatory. Playing in the background was music that all the tracks had
some mention of Space/astronomy.

I am going through my music collection and started to compile a list of
space/astronomy related tunes.

If you have any favourites can you please add them to the list here, or
mail me off list, here area few to get going with

Elton john - Rocket Man
Julie London - Fly Me To The moon,
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Savage Garden - I would fly you to the moon and back

thanks for your time and help, I appreciate it.

Clear Skies

Andy
--
Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS.

Old April 20th 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Stephen Tonkin typed

DT wrote:
what's that Don MacClean song about starry nights?

Vincent (it's about the van Gogh painting)

I thought it was about his suicide...

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/artis..._gogh_starry_n
ight.jpg

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old April 20th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Astro Related Music - some more

Rodney Blackall wrote:
"I was born under a wandering star" sung by someone with a VERY deep
gravelly voice.

In 'Oklahoma' there is a song about the wind called "Maria that blows the
stars around".

Does Mussorgsky's "Night on a bare mountain" count?

A couple mo

2000 light years from home - Rolling Stones
I'm in love with a Starship trooper - Sarah Brightman

Robin

Old April 20th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Andy G said the following on 4/19/2006 10:24 PM:
Fantastic, keep them coming!

I don't recall seeing "Orion" nor "Astronomy" by Jethro Tull listed
anywhere, but I could've overlooked then in my rush... I'm busy: Getting
ready for the Texas Star Party (and yes, I know this is u.s.a., but
Texas is in the U.S.A. :-)

P.S. - What about the whole "Canon of the Three Stars" album by Isao Tomita?
--

---- Len Philpot --------