New Horizons launches successfully

Old January 19th 06, 11:27 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default New Horizons launches successfully

Libsurgents are upset that the 26 lbs of Plutonium didn't come raining
down...

Old January 20th 06, 10:48 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Up, I listened to the launch and they were meticulous about range safety and
weather constraints, and this in this case is good, but even if the thing
had crashed, I doubt very much if the dangerous Plutonium would have caused
a problem anyway.

It would be a different matter if a working reactor was being launched,
however!

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

.. .

Old January 20th 06, 01:53 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Anybody know where they were for launch?

Hiding in a cave?

.. .

Old January 20th 06, 04:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
news
Up, I listened to the launch and they were meticulous about range
safety and weather constraints, and this in this case is good, but
even if the thing had crashed, I doubt very much if the dangerous
Plutonium would have caused a problem anyway.

It would be a different matter if a working reactor was being
launched, however!

Don't think so. The reactor wouldn't be 'working' per se and
the fuel elements wouldn't contain any fission by-products as a
result. It might be argued that a reactor could be safer than
a RTG under those circumstances.

--Damon