´Iª¨ª¨ªº°]°È«Øij

Old May 22nd 05, 02:45 PM
John D. Tanner

Hello all,

Sorry to play devils advocate here but the guy did say that he was new
to the NGs. There seems to have been an awful lot of hosility in this
thread for an otherwise friendly NG :-(

Perhaps a "Welcome to the NG, here are the rules" message would have
been a better response rather than the general ranting? It was only a
few kb of text afterall, not the end of the world or anything.

All the best,
John
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~jdtanner
Old May 22nd 05, 06:45 PM

John D. Tanner wrote:
Hello all,

Sorry to play devils advocate here but the guy did say that he was

new
to the NGs. There seems to have been an awful lot of hostility in

this
thread for an otherwise friendly NG :-(

Perhaps a "Welcome to the NG, here are the rules" message would have
been a better response rather than the general ranting? It was only a

few kb of text afterall, not the end of the world or anything.

All the best,
John
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~jdtanner

An island of calm in a troubled sea? Must be on the wrong ng.
NG etiquette really hasn't moved on from the western saloon quite yet.
I think I'd rather be howled at by a bunch of yobs rather than be
humbled by having "The House Rules" waived under my nose. grin

Regards
Chris.B

Old May 22nd 05, 06:48 PM
Graham W

TeaTime wrote:
2 - How does one cancel a post already sent to a newsgroup? I
thought that wasn't possible..

In the main it isn't!

However, in your newsreader, click on the post you want to cancel
to highloight it and then click 'Message - Cancel message'.

Unfortunately, many ISPs I am told, don't honour such requests.

Old May 22nd 05, 07:39 PM
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:00:59 GMT, in uk.sci.astronomy , "TeaTime"
wrote:

Thank you for two constructive posts, Stephen. Two questions (from a
relative newbie to Usenet):

1 - How would I know to look at http://astunit.com/faq/uksciastrofaq.htm to
find the FAQ for this group if you hadn't published it here?

FWIW a websearch finds it in one go - its the top entry in
"uk.sci.astronomy faq". Also several people post links here.

2 - How does one cancel a post already sent to a newsgroup? I thought that
wasn't possible..

It generally isn't, as few servers honour the request. Look for a
'cancel post' option in your news client.
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Old May 22nd 05, 08:09 PM

If you go to the NG's website (as I always do rather than being deluged
by emails from multiple groups) your can click on "show options" then
on "delete".

Chris.B

Old May 22nd 05, 10:11 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated
Sun, 22 May 2005 14:37:17, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, John D. Tanner
posted :
Dr John Stockton wrote:

I have only seen it because you were stupid enough to re-post it.

Calling somebody stupid isn't very nice :-(

It was not intended to be nice; it was intended to give my honest
opinion. YHBW.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old May 22nd 05, 11:53 PM
John D. Tanner

Dr John Stockton wrote:

I have only seen it because you were stupid enough to re-post it.

Calling somebody stupid isn't very nice :-(

It was not intended to be nice; it was intended to give my honest
opinion. YHBW.

YHBW about what? Sorry John, I was just making an observation as well :-(
Old May 23rd 05, 06:42 AM
Stephen Tonkin

TeaTime wrote:
1 - How would I know to look at
http://astunit.com/faq/uksciastrofaq.htm to find the FAQ for this group
if you hadn't published it here?

Admittedly I don't post the URLs of the group FAQ as frequently as I
probably ought, but a Google groups search on this NG with "FAQ" in the
subject line will reveal its existence to anyone who chooses to look for
it.

2 - How does one cancel a post already sent to a newsgroup?

Find, from its header, the Message ID of the article (of your own!) that
you wish to kill, then post an article to the newsgroup with the
following in the header:

Control: cancel message ID of cancelled post in angle brackets

Decent newsreaders will do it all for you automagically if you choose
the "cancel" option.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +