Paranoid end of Heavens above?

Old March 2nd 05, 06:54 PM
Martin Frey

Default Paranoid end of Heavens above?

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0503/02observing/

It appears that someone with an ISP in Afghanistan logges into the
same data provider that heavens above uses on the day after 9/11.
Therefore, the war or terrrrrrr reuqires that the data provider be
shut down.

"I'm a bit worried, but what more can I do?" Chris Peat, operator of
Heavens-Above, said in a telephone interview from Germany. "If they
tell me to stop doing it, I'll have no choice but to comply. If they
cut off my access, I can't get the elements. It's not just my source,
that's the source for everybody."

The world's gone mad - but Mr Clarke will probably tag me and take
away my computer for thinking they're all as daft as Gerald.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old March 2nd 05, 08:23 PM
Sayf Connary

Martin Frey wrote:
[...]

So, how the Hell am I going to figure out where to point my Sky dish???

--
~Sayf
Old March 2nd 05, 08:49 PM
Mark Underwood

It really is time that the Free world did something about the paranoid
culture of the USA . Europe has suffered greater terror threats and deeds,
American funded IRA to name but one, in the past without this sort of
parotid rubbish.

We are almost at the point I feel where enough is enough !

Old March 2nd 05, 09:05 PM
Sayf Connary

Mark Underwood wrote:
It really is time that the Free world did something about the paranoid
culture of the USA . Europe has suffered greater terror threats and deeds,
American funded IRA to name but one, in the past without this sort of
parotid rubbish.

We are almost at the point I feel where enough is enough !

Blah, blah, blah. Take this political BS somewhere else.

--
~Sayf
Old March 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Paul Henney

Its the same mentality which banned the publication of shuttle launch times,
despite the fact that missions to the ISS had an essentially instantaneous
launch time demanded by orbital dynamics, a time which could be worked out
by anybody whom could spot the ISS in orbit!

As they say, "military intelligence, a contradiction in terms " ...........

pj

Old March 2nd 05, 09:51 PM
Sayf Connary

Mark Underwood wrote:

It really is time that the Free world did something about the paranoid
culture of the USA . Europe has suffered greater terror threats and
deeds, American funded IRA to name but one, in the past without this
sort of parotid rubbish.

We are almost at the point I feel where enough is enough !

Blah, blah, blah. Take this political BS somewhere else.

--
~Sayf

Anyone know of any good forums/lists about astronomy where politics
don't come into play? I've already dumped sci.astro.amateur because
that's all they seem to discuss lately. If I wanted to read about it I
would have subscribed to alt.politics!! Martin was right to post the
link to that article as it was on-topic, but do we really need to hear
about everyone's hatred for a certain country or that political group or
which is tastier plain or peanut M&M's???

--
~Sayf
Old March 2nd 05, 09:57 PM
Dan

"Sayf Connary" wrote in
message ...

Martin was right to post the
link to that article as it was on-topic, but do we really need

to hear
about everyone's hatred for a certain country or that political

group or
which is tastier plain or peanut M&M's???

It's the bloody weather mate.. when will it buck up?!
Plain, by the way.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:29 AM
Martin Frey

Sayf Connary wrote:

Anyone know of any good forums/lists about astronomy where politics
don't come into play? I've already dumped sci.astro.amateur because
that's all they seem to discuss lately. If I wanted to read about it I
would have subscribed to alt.politics!! Martin was right to post the
link to that article as it was on-topic, but do we really need to hear
about everyone's hatred for a certain country or that political group or
which is tastier plain or peanut M&M's???

Hang on - here we have a direct (and utterly silly) political
curtailment of liberty of particular relevance to astronomers - they
are taking from us accurate predictions of ISS or Iridiums, even the
ability to know what it was that transited my bit of sky (if I ever
get a chance to see it).

We can passively accept such stupid nonsense by keeping silent - but I
really see nowt wrong with saying streuth this has gone far enough
already. Any terrrrist clever enough to make terrrrist use of the
information from sites like Heavens Above is going to be clever enough
not to need Heavens Above to achieve his act or terrrrr.

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old March 3rd 05, 01:13 AM
Hils

Martin Frey wrote

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0503/02observing/

It appears that someone with an ISP in Afghanistan logges into the
same data provider that heavens above uses on the day after 9/11.
Therefore, the war or terrrrrrr reuqires that the data provider be
shut down.

"I'm a bit worried, but what more can I do?" Chris Peat, operator of
Heavens-Above, said in a telephone interview from Germany. "If they
tell me to stop doing it, I'll have no choice but to comply. If they
cut off my access, I can't get the elements. It's not just my source,
that's the source for everybody."

Third parties will soon no longer be able to distribute satellite
orbital data derived by NASA as that august body wants to become the
sole distributor, through a website requiring registration. This
situation has arisen partly because the rest of the world has been happy
to rely on the data provided, until now freely, by NASA. There's nothing
stopping organisations outside of the US deriving their own orbital data
and distributing them how they wish.

The world's gone mad - but Mr Clarke will probably tag me and take
away my computer for thinking they're all as daft as Gerald.

Bush and his cronies (among whom are Blair and his cronies) are using
language, laws, and justifications, remarkably similar to those of the
NSDAP in 1930s Germany. Now, as then, most people aren't really
bothered, apparently thinking that the only people likely to suffer
deserve it anyway, and even if they don't it's better that a few
individuals suffer than risk the well-being of the nation. Mad indeed.

--
Hil
Old March 3rd 05, 08:45 AM
Sayf Connary

Martin Frey wrote:
Sayf Connary wrote:

[...]

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Just the place you are
saying it. :-) Maybe I'm being overly anal, but I'm just getting sick of
reading about everyone's political gripes. I think GK started it and
he's put me in a bad mood for the week. From now on I blame the world's
problems on him.

--
~Sayf

Apocalypse NOW! Abhi Astronomy Misc 142 February 12th 04 01:05 PM
UFO Activities from Biblical Times (Long Text) Kazmer Ujvarosy UK Astronomy 3 December 25th 03 10:41 PM
UFO Activities from Biblical Times (LONG TEXT) Kazmer Ujvarosy SETI 2 December 25th 03 07:33 PM
what happened to atlas of the heavens n3drk Misc 3 September 6th 03 06:47 AM