Analemma at Ancient Nemea ... #3/11

Old January 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Analemma at Ancient Nemea ... #3/11

Dear Friends,

As some of you may recall around this time last year, I had two
analemmas successfully complete during 2002. Unfortunately these two
analemmas were the only ones which completed successfully whereas the
other nine had failed due to slight motion of the film back and forth
within the camera chamber. Of course, I immediately restarted all nine
failed analemmas and I am delighted to provide you with the first of the
nine restarted analemmas and which proved to be successful on my third
annual attempt.

This analemma was taken at late afternoon, representing the motion
of the sun between January and December of 2003 at precisely 16:00:00
LMT. I hope to have additional analemmas over the next couple of weeks
as the films are developed and associated foreground images are
composed. Anyway, I kindly refer you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Analemma-140000.htm . The foreground
is the ruins at Ancient Nemea where Hercules, for example, pursued his
first of twelve labours in relation to the capture and killing of the
Nemean lion.

The lab gave me a serious scare when they handed me the thick (?)
envelope with prints. Expecting a single photo in two different size
formats I was surprised with the thick envelope. When opened, I was
overwhelmed with baby photos. My heart stopped, for a serious mix-up had
occurred and I was looking at a year's effort potentially AWOL! Anyway,
20 minutes after sorting through three boxes of holiday films and
photos, we managed to locate my thin envelope. They still messed up by
printing in the smaller size but I am not going to worry at this point,
for the larger print can wait a few days.

Anyway, enjoy!

Anthony.

Old January 7th 04, 07:54 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
Anyway, I kindly refer you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Analemma-140000.htm . The foreground
is the ruins at Ancient Nemea where Hercules, for example, pursued his
first of twelve labours in relation to the capture and killing of the
Nemean lion.

Hi Anthony,

Great shot! And it is the perfect foreground. I checked earlier today and
didn't see anything about it and was starting to worry.

Great!

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old January 7th 04, 08:53 PM
Martin Frey

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

This analemma was taken at late afternoon, ....

Anthony - magic! Brilliant work and vast patience. I don't think my
heart could have stood the baby photos...

Many congratulations.

Having successfully stolen your Delphi analemma, I am deeply
disappointed that I can't grab this one...

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 7th 04, 09:07 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Martin Frey wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

This analemma was taken at late afternoon, ....

Hi Martin,

Anthony - magic! Brilliant work and vast patience. I don't think my
heart could have stood the baby photos...

I could have killed the baby when I saw the photos! :-)

Many congratulations.

Thank you .... this was my third attempt and I can assure you I was
BEGGING for it to turn out.

Having successfully stolen your Delphi analemma, I am deeply
disappointed that I can't grab this one...

Let me get the larger size print so that I can produce a high-res
version of the same and I will pass it along. Anyway, don't worry about
this one, for there may be a few more very shortly which may be even
nicer. :-)

Anthony.

Old January 7th 04, 09:45 PM
Sally

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
formats I was surprised with the thick envelope. When opened, I was
overwhelmed with baby photos. My heart stopped, for a serious mix-up had
occurred and I was looking at a year's effort potentially AWOL!

And somebody else would have been looking at nine months effort AWOL :-)

Thank you for sharing the analemmas with us.

Sally

Old January 7th 04, 10:21 PM
Sam Wormley

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

[...]

Outstanding Anthony!
-Sam
Old January 8th 04, 08:38 AM
Simon Pooley

Martin Frey wrote in article
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

This analemma was taken at late afternoon, ....

Anthony - magic! Brilliant work and vast patience. I don't think my
heart could have stood the baby photos...

Totally agreed – I’m a huge fan of analemma pictures not just for what
they demonstrate but I also admire the patience of the artists. Anthony
is also so blasé about it – “the other nine had failed”, “Of course, I
immediately restarted all nine” – me I’d have kicked the camera from
here to Land’s End! “The lab gave me a serious scare” – SERIOUS scare,
murder springs to mind!! ;-)

Many congratulations.

And many more, once again well done Anthony, superb, looking forward to
the next.

Having successfully stolen your Delphi analemma,

Great, I’m not the only thief! I’ve shown the Delphi one to so many
people and they are always fascinated. *

I am deeply disappointed that I can't grab this one...

Must try harder Mr Frey! Having also grabbed the Delphi one (it was my
wallpaper for a long time) your comment was a challenge; this is now
safely ensconced on my hard drive. It just needs a minor adjustment to
show copyright and it’ll be my new wallpaper. *

*Anthony, I’ve always given you credit for the work, but if you have a
problem I’ll delete both copies. As for waiting – sorry I can’t ;-)
--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W

Old January 8th 04, 09:08 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Martin and Simon,

Once again thank you for the kind words. Please wait a little
while for me to see how far I have gone with the current annual marathon
and I will prepare a ZIP archive file with high-res versions of these
analemmas for printing locally (A4 size) in color in the event you are
interested.

Astrophotography is a very demanding and often frustrating
exercise. However, when things do work out, they more than offset the
rough road on the way.

Anthony.

Old January 8th 04, 09:37 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:39:46 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

This analemma was taken at late afternoon, representing the motion
of the sun between January and December of 2003 at precisely 16:00:00
LMT. I hope to have additional analemmas over the next couple of weeks
as the films are developed and associated foreground images are
composed. Anyway, I kindly refer you to
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Analemma-140000.htm . The foreground
is the ruins at Ancient Nemea where Hercules, for example, pursued his
first of twelve labours in relation to the capture and killing of the
Nemean lion.

Very beautiful and dedicated work. Well done!
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old January 8th 04, 11:54 AM
Michel

Hi Anthony,

great shot ! Very impressive. I would like to do one as well as yours !

Michel, from south of France
http://www.astrosurf.com/apam
http://perso.club-internet.fr/polaris