Astronomy Career

Old October 9th 03, 05:22 PM
Joseph Durham

Default Astronomy Career

Can anybody give me a list of careers that deal with astronomy? What
can a person do if they were to go to school and major in astronomical
studies??

When I was a kid I had planned on being an astronomer, and I had
forgotten all about it. Not that I am older, I was thinking that I
never really read anything about the jobs that one could have. I
would appreciate all of your help.

You can either respond to this posting or you can email me at

Thank you,

Joseph Durham

Old October 10th 03, 08:34 AM
onegod

Probably not.
Job is probably highly competitive and probably had to be someone that was
best in math for their school and go to caltech/mit etc.
Probably something for electrical engineer, computer, or machenical engineer
though, requirements are probably about same.

Janitor type job might exist, but they might feel that's what grad students
are for. lol

om...

Old October 10th 03, 06:27 PM
Ian W

Probably not much, the career path for most professional astronomers is
out of either a physics or mathematics based Masters degree or Doctorate
and then appropriate post grad studies and so on. After graduating it can
take about a decade to gain a permanent (such as they are) tenure as an
astronomer with a major institution. Most BSc's with a major in Astronomy
seem to wind up either in other fields or as Science teachers, telescope
attendants etc.

Lesser positions for us mere mortals include 'telescope attendant' which
is the guy or gal who operates the telescope for the astronomers as well
as various programming and data related postions. Other than that most
professsional observatories have a highly talented staff of professional
instrument makers/machinests, an optician or two and electronics engineer
or two and other associated highly trained technical types as well as the
more run of the mill office and administration people.

Ian.

In article ,
says...

Old October 16th 03, 09:03 AM
CornofStarchy

So basically, we're looking at many many decades for a dream career at some
space agency (eg. Canadian Space Agency or even NASA) to come true? Or it
might not even remotely come true at all? lol

--- CornofStarchy ---
"We are the Corns. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

. ..

Old October 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Painius

"CornofStarchy" wrote...
in message news:jhsjb.105787$6C4.22477@pd7tw1no...

"Ian W" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

[...]

'Lo Nosey Joe, Ian, and CornofStarchy --

Not necessarily, CoS. Depends upon several factors. A lot
may depend on a person's level of desire (burning desires
generally get you a lot farther a lot faster than ho-hummers).

There are actually many facets of astronomy. In fact, just
about every science has an astronomy component. This
is because every thing we study here on Earth may have
its counterpart out there... in space.

There's astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology (also called
cosmogony). Then there's astrobiology, astrochemistry,
celestial mechanics, and even a sort of "astrohistory," or
the study of the history of astronomy.

There's "observational astronomy" and then there's the
more applied types of astronomy that include astronautical
studies out in space itself.

In addition to the credentialed aspect of astronomy, there
is also a vast network of people who enjoy the wonders of
amateur astronomy. Many of these people are brought
together here on UseNet in astronomy newsgroups.

So a lot depends on the individual, your interests, your
abilities, your potential, but mostly... mostly... your level of
desire.

Do you love the sky above?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Ode Man Dying

So I fear I'm not long for this planet my friends,
And I'll miss you the moment I leave,
After that I've no clue just what happens my friends,
And I ask only that you don't grieve.

For I've lived a long life full of loving my friends,
And in this much I know you'll believe...
There is nothing on Earth more important my friends,
Than the loving relations you weave.

Paine Ellsworth

Old October 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Painius

"CornofStarchy" wrote...
in message news:jhsjb.105787$6C4.22477@pd7tw1no...

"Ian W" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
says...

Old October 25th 03, 04:46 PM
Annie Maes

Hello Ian, Joe, Joseph, Cornof, e.a.,
A list of careers that deal with astronomy:
- System manager
- Astronomer
- Astrophysicist
- Researcher in the physical chemistry of the atmosphere
- Climatologist
- Geologist
- Geophysicist
- Electronics Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Meteorologist
- Researcher in atmosphere modelling
- Optician
- Researcher in Plasma Physics
- Researcher in Solar Physics
- Expert technician
I am sure there are many other careers in the subject.
Clear skies and horizons
"CornofStarchy" schreef in bericht
So basically, we're looking at many many decades for a dream career at

some
space agency (eg. Canadian Space Agency or even NASA) to come true? Or it
might not even remotely come true at all? lol

--- CornofStarchy ---
"We are the Corns. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

. ..