If you were on the Moon

Old October 12th 03, 07:55 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Gary Thanks for telling me where the picture was taken. I thought the
astronauts took if standing on the moon. It looked so much like a
straight across the Moons surface catching the Earth just over the
moon"s horizon. Bert

Old October 13th 03, 05:20 AM
Martin

Gary Sell wrote in
t:

In article
,
says...
Jonathan Right you are seeing our blue marble Earth coming up from
the Moons horizon is breath taking. It is the best picture ever taken
inside our solar system.(I sent away for it) We need not
walk on the moon any more,but should have had a base there 27 years
ago. Io is very cold,but what a view of Jupiter and its eye. I would
die for the chance of being there. I'm going to die going over Niagra
Falls in the worlds smallest sail boat,better if I died skating on
the ice of Io(i like that) It will never happen so. I
did build the boat for Niagara. One has to be a realist
Bert

Greetings Bert,

If I am thinking of the same film footage and poster you are referring
to, it was actually taken from orbit, not from the face of the moon.

The moon is tidally locked with the Earth, which is why we always see
the same side. This means if you were standing on the side of the
moon where you could see the Earth, it would always be in the same
position in the sky. There would be a little variance due to
libration, but that is all. No earthrise or earthset from the surface
of the moon, I'm afraid.

The Earth traces out a monthly libration loop up to about 19 degrees across
in the sky. This the distance from Rigel to Betelguese.

Also, the Earth "rises and sets" on or near the lunar limb (selenographic
longitudes ~90 deg and 270 deg). This is due once again to libration where
it traces portions of its monthly loop above and below the horizon.

Martin Lewicki

Old October 13th 03, 06:44 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Gary Sell
writes
In article ,
says...

The Earth traces out a monthly libration loop up to about 19 degrees across
in the sky. This the distance from Rigel to Betelguese.

Also, the Earth "rises and sets" on or near the lunar limb (selenographic
longitudes ~90 deg and 270 deg). This is due once again to libration where
it traces portions of its monthly loop above and below the horizon.

After I posted this thought did occur to me, although I didn't have the
figures you presented. I appreciate you posting them, it is interesting
to know.

I still believe the footage bert was referring to was taken from lunar
orbit, but it would be interesting to observe the effects of libration
from the lunar surface.

It's still not an idea you want to sell to people who have been fooled
by your claims of "watch the Earthrise" from your lunar hotel.
As a spectacle it would be about as exciting as watching paint dry ;-)
Now watching the sun rise would be dramatic. You would put your hotel
inside a fairly small crater or within sight of the Lunar Alps or
Apennines, so they'd get the sun shining on the tops of the hills while
it's still dark below, and the light creeping down the slopes. They'd be
watching the corona and zodiacal light, both of which are rare
spectacles for most people on Earth. They'd have a few moments (minutes
?) to watch for prominences at sunrise and then you have some foolproof
method of blacking out the view so they don't get blinded, and then you
serve sunrisers instead of sundowners!
--
"It is written in mathematical language"
Old October 13th 03, 06:44 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Gary Sell
writes
In article ,
says...

Old October 25th 03, 04:59 PM
Annie Maes

Hello Gary,
What if???? He did it, didn't he???? And he succeeded!!!! Didn't he!!!!
Clear skies and horizons from Belgium
"Gary Sell" schreef in bericht
[...]

The earth would go through different phases in it's static spot in the
sky, and during a lunar eclipse the sun would move behind the stationary
Earth intil blocked out.

I'll bet the Sun's corona from the moon during an eclipse would be
magnificent.

Gary Sell
http://www.whatcomastronomy.org/