beginner info needed about scopes and binoculars

Old November 8th 03, 10:46 PM
Simon Gartfield

Default beginner info needed about scopes and binoculars

"Richard" wrote in message ...
"Stephen Tonkin" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
All advice is greatly appreciated.

See:
http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/firstscope.htm
http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/evaluating.htm

As far as your quest for magnification is concerned, do try to remember

that
the main purpose of an astronomical telescope is light-gathering. Always
distrust supposed astronomical telescopes that are sold with claims of

very
high magnification. You do need magnification to see planetary detail, but

be able to reliably use x200 you are going to need a lot more than you'll

get
wiht £200!

--
Best,
Stephen

so why am I getting recommended binoculars instead when they don't show that
much?

so why am I getting recommended binoculars instead when they don't
show that
much?

Could it be because your post's title invites recommendations
regarding binoculars Richard? ie beginner info needed about scopes and
binoculars.

If you want advice please stop being nasty towards those experienced
people which are offering it to you!!

Foul mouthed tantrums, tyrades and ignorance will get you nowhere.

Just because you probably come from a generation which expects Instant
coffee, instant Rap music and almost everything else instantly as long
as it does not involve effort, don't expect instant Astronomy!!

It just ain't going to happen!
Old November 8th 03, 11:12 PM
Bernie

"Richard" wrote in message ...
"Laurencelman" wrote in message
I understand Argos are selling a telescope branded somewhere in the region

of
X260.

It retails for £7:50

Since you ask for advice and then complain about those helpful people who

offer
it, maybe the Argos scope would suit you needs, whilst still leaving you
£192:50 to spend on accessories!

What is your problem? I get indepth, informative replies from everyone else,
but all you can do is come out with a load of bitter and twisted ****e.

Call me old fashioned but I do not think there is call for filthy
language on a site devoted to Astronomy.

Had I used langauage like this in front of my father he would have
taken his belt off and given me a good thrashing!!

I think a gentlemans apology may be in order here!
Old November 8th 03, 11:16 PM
Richard

"Laurencelman" wrote in message
Sorry that you consider Patrick Moore's advice to be bitter and twisted.

I think you need to chill out and relax a bit!!

You weren't giving advice. You just didn't like me and wanted an argument.

Old November 8th 03, 11:23 PM
Richard

"Bernie" wrote in message
om...
"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

Nor is there a call for Laurencelman to carry out such a superior attitude
on new members of the ng. I thought only he was like this but it seems you
old dinosaurs are as bad as each other.
There's some real unfriendly sorts on the ng's but of all places to find the
most unwelcoming set of old prats, I find it here, a ng which you would
expect some intelligence and constructive conversation. This is a real shame
as I genuinely appreciated the help I was being given. Looks like I'll get
my help from an non UK group in the future.
Miserable sods

Old November 8th 03, 11:24 PM
Richard

"Simon Gartfield" wrote in message
m...

Richard wrote:
[...]

Simon, take a few minutes, go and read through all of my posts and come back
to me with examples of your accusations. Go on, I'm waiting...

Old November 8th 03, 11:28 PM
Laurencelman

Richard I have never even met you. I repeat probably best to consider a 6"
reflector as a minimum scope.

Otherwise binoculars and wait till you can afford a decent telescope.

If this is'nt advice as you claim...well I am sorry.
Old November 8th 03, 11:50 PM
Richard

"Laurencelman" wrote in message
Richard I have never even met you. I repeat probably best to consider a 6"
reflector as a minimum scope.

Otherwise binoculars and wait till you can afford a decent telescope.

If this is'nt advice as you claim...well I am sorry.

I will apologise for that. My mistake. Sorry.

Old November 8th 03, 11:51 PM
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message

"Bernie" wrote in message
om...
"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

And another thing...are you watching the eclipse tonight or is the fact that
your heads are so far up your own arses stopping you?

Old November 8th 03, 11:54 PM
Laurencelman

Richard, Bernie gave you very good advice, then you wrote to another poster
saying you had tried binoculars but they were no good.

"Why was I recommeded binoculars?" This poster Stephen Tonkin gave you a very
explicit account of the merits of binoculars and the reasons which were given,
but you still kept on seemingly questioning the advice of all the people who
posted advice.

I really read this as maybe others did too that you were trying to give the
impression that Bernie gave you bad advice and you were openly criticising him,
"he does.nt know what he is talking about", which to my mind was a tad
arrogant.

I am sure Bernie knows quite a lot considering his life time interest in
Astronomy, it maybe your replies could have been worded more tactfully

You then go onto describe him and others as miserable old sods etc....

Can I suggest if you go to a non UK based NG eg USA you will get chewed up and
spat out in bits if you take a similar attitude.

Can I suggest that when you ask for advice you either accept it or reject it,
but not criticise openly those good people who were only trying to answer your
question.

I openly apologise for any offence you took at my joke which really was a reply
to what I and others probably saw as a rather arrogant reply to what I can only
consider to be good advice.

Might I wish you luck in the future.

Old November 9th 03, 12:11 AM
Richard

"Laurencelman" wrote in message
Richard, Bernie gave you very good advice, then you wrote to another

poster
saying you had tried binoculars but they were no good.

"Why was I recommeded binoculars?" This poster Stephen Tonkin gave you a

very
explicit account of the merits of binoculars and the reasons which were

given,
but you still kept on seemingly questioning the advice of all the people

who
posted advice.

"so why am I getting recommended binoculars instead when they don't show
that
much?"
That's what I said - I was asking for another opinion as my own experience
wasn't giving me as good a view as my ancient 60x telescope.

I really read this as maybe others did too that you were trying to give

the
impression that Bernie gave you bad advice and you were openly criticising

him,
"he does.nt know what he is talking about", which to my mind was a tad
arrogant.

I am sure Bernie knows quite a lot considering his life time interest in
Astronomy, it maybe your replies could have been worded more tactfully

I asked him advice for this reason, surely?
And would you mind pointing me to the bit where I "openly criticised him"? I
don't see it. And as for the "he doesn't know what he is talking about" bit?
Nowhere to be seen my friend. Methinks it is you that doesn't know what he
is talking about. Please research your views thoroughly first, as inaccuracy
only brings embarrassment on you.

You then go onto describe him and others as miserable old sods etc....

Warranted judging by the agist attitude towards me.

Can I suggest if you go to a non UK based NG eg USA you will get chewed up

and
spat out in bits if you take a similar attitude.

Can't be any worse than here.

Can I suggest that when you ask for advice you either accept it or reject

it,
but not criticise openly those good people who were only trying to answer

your
question.

Again, please point out where I criticised anyone...

I openly apologise for any offence you took at my joke which really was a

reply
to what I and others probably saw as a rather arrogant reply to what I can

only
consider to be good advice.

Joke? After some of the unwarranted objections to my fact finding on this
ng? I was really going to laugh at it wasn't I?

Might I wish you luck in the future.

Yes, and may I not grow into a miserable unwelcoming agist arrogant a##ehole
like some of you lot.