Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Old November 8th 03, 10:42 AM
Mike Simmons

Default Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Same situation in Greece. Last night we had the first clear and
pristine evening in a week and I was telling myself what a shame that
the eclipse was not 24 hrs earlier. As for today (the day of the
eclipse), it has gone from bad to worse .... I was planning to drive a
few hours west of Athens for clear skies but it seems the weather has
fallen apart there as well.

Similar here but not that bad yet. Clouds are just moving in (2:30 AM)
and unsettled weather is expected through the weekend so we may be
driving to dodge clouds. We'll have to wait and see what develops,
though, as there's no way to forecast precisely enough with this
situation. I've got my spots picked and hope to shoot the rising,
eclipsed Moon over the mountains.

Mike Simmons
Old November 8th 03, 11:45 AM
James

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

Slightly off topic- but I see UT being quoted a lot in astronomy and
wondered how it translates to British "GMT" time? Some websites and
magazines say that something will occur at, say 03:00 UT, which is
equivalent to variuos times in the US, but I never see it related back to
GMT! What time should I be popping outside tonight to see anything?

Old November 8th 03, 12:22 PM
Stephen Tonkin

James wrote:
Slightly off topic- but I see UT being quoted a lot in astronomy and
wondered how it translates to British "GMT" time?

Unless otherwise stated, assume UT = GMT.
See: http://astunit.com/tutorials/time.htm for more detail on the
distinctions between the various UTs and GMT.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old November 8th 03, 12:22 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

James wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .

Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

James,

Slightly off topic- but I see UT being quoted a lot in astronomy and
wondered how it translates to British "GMT" time? Some websites and
magazines say that something will occur at, say 03:00 UT, which is
equivalent to variuos times in the US, but I never see it related back to
GMT! What time should I be popping outside tonight to see anything?

I think these two (GMT and UT) are interchangeable. As for
something happening at 03:00 UT, I think it refers to the end of the
umbral portion of the eclipse which occurs at 03:04:29 UT (I am going on
memory here).

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 12:23 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Mike,

How quickly can we get on a plane for you-know-where to watch this
thing with Babek?! :-)

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 05:59 PM
Martin Frey

Paul A Brierley wrote:

Cloud last week for the two AURORA displays and now cloud for tonights
eclipse. I think I am going to shoot myself.

PaulB.

If you must - but do it during the eclipse and at a dark site. Gives
you the best chance of missing.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old November 8th 03, 06:36 PM
Mike Simmons

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Mike,

How quickly can we get on a plane for you-know-where to watch
this thing with Babek?! :-)

Anthony.

:-) It's too late for that solution for me but you might make it.
Babak, however, is on a Russian icebreaker headed for the path of the
total solar eclipse in Antarctica. No matter -- the forecast for Tehran
is for clouds anyway. You'd have to go to the south of the country to
find clear skies. There's still time if you hurry! :-)

Things look poor this morning and are expected to get worse. :-(

Mike Simmons
Old November 8th 03, 07:38 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Pete,

Another possibly-blindingly-obvious one I've jsut thought of. Do you
have some way of accounting for distortion introduced by the camera
lens? Should we each photograph a piece of graph paper as well, or
something?

Old November 8th 03, 08:34 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:38:49 +0000, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Pete,

Another possibly-blindingly-obvious one I've jsut thought of. Do you
have some way of accounting for distortion introduced by the camera
lens? Should we each photograph a piece of graph paper as well, or
something?

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 48 November 11th 03 11:07 AM