Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Old November 8th 03, 01:39 AM
Pete Lawrence

Default Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

For information, I've created a webpage that can be accessed from the
top link on my home page (address in sig.). I've had a number of
positive intentions to contribute (if conditions permit). However,
more are always welcome. I'll direct all further updates through the
webpage.

Good luck and clear skies to all who are going to try for this
event...
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 07:26 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Pete and others,

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is a good idea to ping
your cellular phone or whatever other timing device you may use to the
Atomic Clock so that all photos are as precise as possible with respect
to the time they were taken (vis a vis 01h20m is really 01h20m00s).

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 08:02 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
At the risk of stating the obvious, it is a good idea to ping
your cellular phone or whatever other timing device you may use to the
Atomic Clock so that all photos are as precise as possible with respect
to the time they were taken (vis a vis 01h20m is really 01h20m00s).

Also at the risk of stating the obvious, remember to take account of the
shutter-delay that is inherent in many digital cameras. (This can be
reduced if it can be set to a fully manual setting: focus, exposure,
aperture and white-balance.)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old November 8th 03, 08:29 AM
kev

Looks out of window; grey, drizzle...
Kev

Old November 8th 03, 08:52 AM
ChrisH

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 01:39:45 +0000, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

For information, I've created a webpage that can be accessed from the
top link on my home page (address in sig.). I've had a number of
positive intentions to contribute (if conditions permit). However,
more are always welcome. I'll direct all further updates through the
webpage.

Good luck and clear skies to all who are going to try for this
event...

Looks like solid cloud here for tonight :-(

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 08:58 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Pete Lawrence
writes
Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

For information, I've created a webpage that can be accessed from the
top link on my home page (address in sig.). I've had a number of
positive intentions to contribute (if conditions permit). However,
more are always welcome. I'll direct all further updates through the
webpage.

Good luck and clear skies to all who are going to try for this
event...

What's the weather forecast? I'm pessimistic - last night was both clear
and amazingly mild, but I'm looking at solid grey cloud this morning :-(
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old November 8th 03, 10:23 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message , Pete Lawrence
writes

Just a reminder, with little under 24 hours to go, anyone wanting to
have a go at grabbing a Moon + stars image for the Lunar Parallax
Demonstration Project - the preferred time for image taking is 01h20m
UT.

For information, I've created a webpage that can be accessed from the
top link on my home page (address in sig.). I've had a number of
positive intentions to contribute (if conditions permit). However,
more are always welcome. I'll direct all further updates through the
webpage.

Good luck and clear skies to all who are going to try for this
event...

Jonathan,

What's the weather forecast? I'm pessimistic - last night was both
clear and amazingly mild, but I'm looking at solid grey cloud this
morning :-(

Same situation in Greece. Last night we had the first clear and
pristine evening in a week and I was telling myself what a shame that
the eclipse was not 24 hrs earlier. As for today (the day of the
eclipse), it has gone from bad to worse .... I was planning to drive a
few hours west of Athens for clear skies but it seems the weather has
fallen apart there as well.

Damn shame to lose the eclipse!

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 10:31 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Stephen Tonkin wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is a good idea to ping
your cellular phone or whatever other timing device you may use to
the Atomic Clock so that all photos are as precise as possible with
respect to the time they were taken (vis a vis 01h20m is really
01h20m00s).

Hi Stephen,

Also at the risk of stating the obvious, remember to take account of
the shutter-delay that is inherent in many digital cameras. (This can
be reduced if it can be set to a fully manual setting: focus,
exposure, aperture and white-balance.)

Good point! Having set all of these to manual for myself, I took
it for granted and forgot about it.

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 10:38 AM
Pete Lawrence

I've updated the information page with some starfield maps which I
hope are reasonably accurate (visit my homepage and click on the link
at the top of the main page).

Weatherwise - not looking promising but we can only do our best. The
UK seems to be in the flow of some easterly winds which are bringing
some cold air in from Europe. There's rain waiting in the wings to
the west of us so we're set to be hit by a double whammy.

All other comment regarding timings etc., are great, thanks guys keep
them coming.

If it fails this year, there will be others...

Good luck and clear skies!
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 10:40 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:23:43 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

Same situation in Greece. Last night we had the first clear and
pristine evening in a week and I was telling myself what a shame that
the eclipse was not 24 hrs earlier. As for today (the day of the
eclipse), it has gone from bad to worse .... I was planning to drive a
few hours west of Athens for clear skies but it seems the weather has
fallen apart there as well.

Damn shame to lose the eclipse!

Don't say that Anthony - think positive and will those clouds away.
We've had a succession of clear nights down here on the UK's south
coast. It's amazing how that happens and then when something that you
want to see comes along... bang it's gone.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 48 November 11th 03 11:07 AM