Freeware planetaruium software

Old August 30th 03, 12:56 PM
ceil user

Default Freeware planetaruium software

Geoff Smith wrote:

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

No but you are completely distorting the issue. Chris was referring
to the one restriction he puts on the demo version, not its
relationship to the full release.

Whether the extra code and data is included in the demo or not is
immaterial from the point of view of the user. So I guess a good
compromise description would be lameware instead of "restricted".
:-)

Old August 30th 03, 04:32 PM
Martin Frey

ceil wrote:

Geoff Smith wrote:

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

No but you are completely distorting the issue. Chris was referring
to the one restriction he puts on the demo version, not its
relationship to the full release.

Whether the extra code and data is included in the demo or not is
immaterial from the point of view of the user. So I guess a good
compromise description would be lameware instead of "restricted".
:-)

Have you looked at the free version of Skymap? Lame it ain't.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old August 30th 03, 07:16 PM
ceil user

Martin Frey wrote:

Have you looked at the free version of Skymap? Lame it ain't.

The last time I downloaded it or tried it from a cd (monthly magazine)
it had evaluation or something right across the sky. So I binned it.
I'm pretty sure it was Skymap. As for it being lame that just depends.
Compared to ceil + installed star charts it appears from Marriots list
of restrictive features as lame. Compared to homeplanet maybe it is
not lame. Anyway, many "free/eval's/demo's" are lame in someway or
why would you bother buying the full product. It's no reflection on
the accuracy of skymap btw.
Funny how skymap is so like ceil or is that the other way round! :-)

Old August 30th 03, 07:27 PM

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:32:39 +0100, Martin Frey
wrote:

ceil wrote:

Geoff Smith wrote:

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

No but you are completely distorting the issue. Chris was referring
to the one restriction he puts on the demo version, not its
relationship to the full release.

Whether the extra code and data is included in the demo or not is
immaterial from the point of view of the user. So I guess a good
compromise description would be lameware instead of "restricted".
:-)

Have you looked at the free version of Skymap? Lame it ain't.

I use winstars, does it for me, and its nice and simple
http://winstars.free.fr/english/
Looking for astro bits and pieces?
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/orpheus1959
Old August 30th 03, 07:47 PM
Gareth Williams

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:08:29 +0100, pjs wrote:

my kids have decided to get interested in astronomy and i am looking for
a nice easy to use piece of software.

Celestia is pretty nice for hopping around stars, galaxies and planets. I
run the Linux version, but you can get its (free) Windows equivalent from:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/download.html

It's only an 11 megabyte download and there's a "lite" version too.

Alternatively, you might be really adventurous and install a version of
Linux on a hard disk partition. You'll find tons of astronomical and
other scientific/educational programs are available completely free with
most Linux distributions. The software varies from "okay-ish" to "damned
impressive". I'd put Celestia in the latter bracket, but other programs,
such as KStars and XEphem offer interesting - and quite different -
alternatives.

--

Regards, Gareth Williams

Old August 30th 03, 08:03 PM
Mike & Heather Collins

"ceil user" wrote in message
Martin Frey wrote:

Have you looked at the free version of Skymap? Lame it ain't.

The last time I downloaded it or tried it from a cd (monthly magazine)
it had evaluation or something right across the sky. So I binned it.

That was probably Starry Night.

--
Mike Collins
UK

Old September 3rd 03, 12:03 AM
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:16:25 +0000, in uk.sci.astronomy , ceil user
wrote:

Martin Frey wrote:

Have you looked at the free version of Skymap? Lame it ain't.

The last time I downloaded it or tried it from a cd (monthly magazine)
it had evaluation or something right across the sky.

This must either have been a VERY long time ago, or it was a different
program. No Version I've used has had this. (currntly using V8 in demo
mode)

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Old September 3rd 03, 12:06 AM
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

As for it being lame that just depends.
Compared to ceil + installed star charts it appears from Marriots list
of restrictive features as lame.

The two are quite different. I find ciel good for some things, useless
for others - eg I find it very hard to move around the sky quickly.
Skymap on the other hand has different strengths.

I guess I use the two about as much as each other, with Starry Night
nipping in for the other third.

Funny how skymap is so like ceil or is that the other way round! :-)

Erm..... You expect the stars to be in different places or something?
:-)