Freeware planetaruium software

Old August 25th 03, 04:27 PM
Matt

Default Freeware planetaruium software

"Chris Marriott" wrote in message

The demo version of SkyMap Pro most definitely _is_ freeware, Matt. It's

not
shareware - ie, a time-limited "you must pay for it after X days" thing;
it's freeware; use it for as long as you want. The only restriction I

place
on it is that you can't publish output from it; you need to buy the full
product if you want to do that.

Nice one chap, I have used Skymap Pro off and on over a number of years and
found it very useful. But my degree of astronomical interest has never
really warranted buying the full version. As my interest grows month by
month that may well change. My apologies for misrepresenting its its
freeware status. It is a very nice piece of software.

Regards

Matt

---

Old August 25th 03, 04:54 PM
Philippe HAAKE

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:08:29 +0100, "pjs"
wrote:

gents / ladies. hi,
my kids have decided to get interested in astronomy and i am looking for a
nice easy to use piece of software. someone gave me a copy of "skyglobe" but
it wont run in windows, and i cant print out the charts. can anyone suggest
anything else please? Thanks in advance
peter

Hello

Have a look at our site and you will find Cartes du Ciel and Nuit
Two softs made by member of our Club here in geneva.
http://www.astro-ge.net/index.php?pid=46
Nuit is very small 530Kb

have a look....
Best Greetings From SWITZERLAND
Philippe HAAKE
ICQ 3128404
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/meteo
http://astroclub.net/sag/index.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/beruberu1

!!!!!!REMOVE NOSBSPAM FROM MY E-MAIL!!!!!!

Spammers, here are some email addresses for your spambots:

$LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost
admin@loopback

Old August 25th 03, 05:19 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , ngc457
writes

pjs wrote in message
gents / ladies. hi,
my kids have decided to get interested in astronomy and i am looking
for a nice easy to use piece of software. someone gave me a copy of
"skyglobe" but it wont run in windows, and i cant print out the charts.
can anyone suggest anything else please? Thanks in advance

Have a look at the Downloads section at http://astrotips.com - there's
bound to be a program that will be just right for your needs. I also agree
with the others: Cartes du Ceil is a great program.

I would recommend the Starry Night series as being good educational
software for children, but it is not free. Also consider Redshift 3 - you
might find it for nowt if you scout around for the free CDs.

And given the strength of the opposition that's about all it's worth. I
know some people really like it, and it's powerful, so maybe it's just
me.
My current favourite among the free programs is Hello Northern Sky at
http://www.hnsky.org/software.htm - nice display with pictures of
deep-sky objects, and my favourite pay-ware is Guide at
www.projectpluto.com.

--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"

Old August 25th 03, 05:36 PM
John Irwin

But according to your web-site there are several serious restrictions. I
quote:

"The main differences between the demonstration version of SkyMap Pro
and the full product a

Only a tiny fraction of the data present in the full version is
available in the demonstration version. The full version has some 15
million stars down to magnitude 15, complete double and variable star
catalogs, and approximately 250,000 deep sky objects.

The observing log and observation planning tools are not present.

The use of "external" data (data catalogs and map overlays) is disabled.

Solar eclipse maps are not available, although local circumstances of
solar eclipses are.

Printed star charts are "watermarked" to indicate that they were
produced by the demonstration version of the program."

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

John.

Chris Marriott wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message

The demo version of Skymappro http://www.skymap.com/smp_eval.htm is not
freeware as such but I can't see any terms limiting its use. Seems to do

all
the basic stuff I need.

The demo version of SkyMap Pro most definitely _is_ freeware, Matt. It's not
shareware - ie, a time-limited "you must pay for it after X days" thing;
it's freeware; use it for as long as you want. The only restriction I place
on it is that you can't publish output from it; you need to buy the full
product if you want to do that.

Regards,

Chris

Old August 25th 03, 06:05 PM
Andy Dix

"John Irwin" wrote in message

[...]

Crickey geezer what do you want for nothing?
Chris didn't say that his award winning full blown product was freeware, he
said that the eval version was. Obviously if you pay money then you'd get
all the additional features that you've described.

It hacks me off when people assume that just because the Internet has made
everything computer oriented more accessable, it should be free.

Old August 25th 03, 06:41 PM
John Irwin

Andy Dix wrote:

"John Irwin" wrote in message

[...]

Calm down. I am aware the demo/eval version is only freeware and I would
expect there to be restrictions. However, Chris Marriott stated the only
restriction was that "you can't publish output from it", which I thought
was a little economical with the truth.

John.