OT- the state of the union

Old October 26th 06, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default OT- the state of the union

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:42:58 +0200, in a place far, far away, Jochem
Huhmann made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) writes:

OK, you may now come with some strictly technical definition of
"brainwashing" which shows that it is a totally different thing. Sorry
for using the wrong word, then.

Your definition of it is so broad that it would apply to almost all
media interactions with society, which renders it useless for its more
specific meaning, which is to deliberately and in a focused way
program someone into having specific, false beliefs, in the hopes
they'll act on them in some predetermined way.

Yes, and the paragraph I was referring to in my posting looks very much
as if someone were programmed into having specific, false beliefs, in
the hopes he'll act on them in some predetermined way.

Just shows that looks can be deceiving, I guess.
Old October 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message .com...
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:24:47 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote
(in article ):

Am I sane? I sometimes wonder...

Patrick old buddy, you're a lot saner than most I reckon. ;-)

*In spite* of the questionable prose-inducing pharmaceuticals and the
Venusian Fire-women...or is it the Venusian Fire-women-inducing
pharmaceuticals and the questionable prose?

Old October 26th 06, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Not brainwashing, just news reporting.

Where's the difference?

If you don't understand the difference, I'm not sure I know how to
explain it to you. They're really dramatically different concepts.

That's why one should only watch fair and unbiased news...you know, Fox
News. :-D

Pat
Old October 26th 06, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Jochem Huhmann wrote:
writes:

The Islamists in Europe are not causing trouble in order to gain rights
that are currently denied. they are causing trouble to gain dominance
over everybody else, and force everybody else to convert to Islam.

What kind of brainwashing makes you believe that Islamists in Europe are
causing trouble or that there is any number of Moslems in Europe trying
to force everybody else to convert to Islam?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/19/story281662.html

Extremist lawyer wants flag of Islam on Leinster House
19/10/2006 - 17:49:00

The flag of Islam should be flown over Leinster House, an Islamic
extremist said tonight.

Speaking in Dublin before addressing a Trinity College debate, Anjem
Choudray also reiterated controversial views that Muslim violence is
justified in certain circumstances.

The British-born lawyer, 39, angered the Irish Government last year
when he said that Ireland risked becoming a target for a 9/11 style
attack because it allowed US war planes to refuel at Shannon Airport.

Mr Choudray said: "As a Muslim, I believe Islam is superior to every
other way of life and that it can resolve all the social and economic
problems that Ireland suffers from.

"And as a symbol of that, the flag of Islam should be flown over the
Dáil.

"This is symbolic of the fact that all societies will be run better
according to God's law."

Nope. No Islamists wanting to convert Europeans. Nope. Nuh-uh. Pay no
attention to that Imam behind the curtain.

Old October 26th 06, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Again, media bias and spin is not "brainwashing."

No, it's propaganda... big difference.
I'd write more, but it's time for our three minutes of hate.

Winston Smith
Old October 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko

Henry Spencer wrote:
In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:
Muslims don't drink alcohol; just coffee and tea. All uppers, no
downers- that could drive any sane man mad.
Caffeine jag or Caffeine _Jihad_? =-O

In most places, Islam's ban on alcohol tends to be taken about as
seriously as Christianity's ban on adultery.

But what about Islam's ban on adultrery? Surely no one anywhere stones
you for getting drunk...

Old October 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Monte Davis wrote:

Next from Simberg News: "Crime and Violence in LA Latino
Neighborhoods: The Reconquista of Aztlan Begins."

FREE DAIRY!

Bovine Republican Army
"Remember lads, BRA means free milk!" ;-)
Old October 26th 06, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Go read littlegreenfootballs.com. Charles keeps an eye on it.

And from that blog, the "Myths and Facts" resource:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ths/mftoc.html
....proudly brought to you as part of the "Jewish Virtual Library - A
Division Of The American- Israeli Cooperative Enterprise".
This will be unbiased reporting at its finest, I'm sure. :-D
Not as much fun as the "Palestinian Child Abuse" slideshow though; see
the smiling little tikes get their assault rifles:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...=32&autoShow=6
It's enough to bring joyful tears to a NRA member's eyes...why can't our
kids have full-auto weapons?

Pat