Evidence for the existence of God

Old September 14th 16, 04:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Evidence for the existence of God

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:19:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Try to keep an open mind.

I do have an open mind.

So open that all your brains fell out.
Old September 14th 16, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:19:28 AM UTC-4, Razzmatazz wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:56:20 AM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:35:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 10:06:06 AM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 04:47:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 12:49:38 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 09:40:43 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:10:05 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I don't see anything here that even remotely rises to the level of
objective, or even reasonable evidence for the existence of a god. A
girl can paint? A boy thinks he went to heaven? Two people have a
similar idea what Jesus looked like?

If it happens that a number of similar anecdotes come up - and in the majority
of those anecdotes, Jesus looks the same, and His appearance is not simply
modeled on a commonly-known portrait - that would indeed be objective evidence,
even if not ironclad.

On the other hand, if there are many similar anecdotes, and in two of them,
Jesus looks the same, yes, that isn't evidence.

Of course in this case we have only one painting, which looks very
much like a conventional representation of Jesus, and everything else
is people making claims without evidence. This is hearsay of the
lowest quality at this point.

The dude in the painting sure looks like Jesus to me.

I'll bet he does.

Who do you think he looks like, peterson?

Nobody I know.

He looks exactly like someone I knew in College. He was a pothead and dropout
and spent a lot of time in coffee houses quoting weird poetry and playing
backgammon.

So you're saying that Jesus smoked pot, dropped out, drank coffee, wrote weird poetry and played backgammon? If not, then what was the point of your comment?
Old September 14th 16, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:27:38 AM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:19:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Try to keep an open mind.

I do have an open mind.

So open that all your brains fell out.

Lame, peterson, lame.

Old September 14th 16, 05:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 6:08:36 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 3:48:27 PM UTC-6, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:12:57 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

His quotes of the bible to justify foreign policy? His references to
religion is signing the odious Religious Freedom Restoration Act in
Indiana last year,

(1) I don't live in Indiana.

No, but you live in the United States, and Mike Pence is running for the Vice
Presidency thereof.

(2) Religious freedom doesn't sound "odious"
to me.

Religious freedom isn't odious, but odious things can be done in its name. In
this case, the law in question removes protection from discrimination for a
certain group.

The RFRA simply clarifies the First Amendment for those who have forgotten what it means or for those who, like peterson, never knew what it means in the first place.

Old September 14th 16, 05:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:29:19 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Once we elevate the opinions of anybody above criticism, we're in
trouble.

You have elevated your own opinions above criticism, peterson.
Old September 14th 16, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:19:48 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:59:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:29:19 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Once we elevate the opinions of anybody above criticism, we're in
trouble.

You have elevated your own opinions above criticism, peterson.

I think not.

That's just it, peterson, you DONT'T think, at least not very well. You consider your opinions about everything to be unassailable.

But as proof of my earlier statement we have this, from another thread:

'Obviously, you are unable to admit any mistake that you make, peterson.'

'Here we see where you assumed that the info I posted was wrong, and it turns out that the info actually came from a source, the Census Bureau, that you claimed was right:'

'On September 9th wsnell01 wrote:

"California has the nation's highest poverty rate, followed by DC."

Later peterson wrote:

"Where in the heck do you get that? The states with the highest poverty
rates, from the worst: Mississippi, New Mexico, Louisiana, Alabama,
Kentucky, Arkansas, DC, Georgia, West Virginia, Arizona. California is
#35. That's from the U.S. Census Bureau."

On September 10th wsnell01 wrote:

"When California's high cost of living is factored in, its poverty rate jumps to almost 24%. DC's is only slightly lower."

On September 11th peterson wrote:

"Yeah, I guess you can make up whatever numbers you want. I'm going
with the Census Bureau."

On September 12th wsnell01 wrote:

"Then here you go:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...le2916749.html

California has highest poverty rate.

Are you going to argue with that, peterson???" '
Old September 14th 16, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 12:53:02 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:47:12 AM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 6:32:36 PM UTC-4, roland c. wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:46:02 PM UTC-5, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:46:06 AM UTC-6, Razzmatazz wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:29:02 AM UTC-5, Gary Harnagel wrote:

https://art-soulworks.com/pages/prin...peace-painting

That's a stunning portrait for an 8 year old to have painted. very
talented youngster indeed.

For me, images of Jesus have no meaning whatsoever. However, his words
are priceless gifts.

Razzy

I may be wrong, but I think these two experiences are indeed connected
and were designed by Providence (as George Washington would say) for those
whose faith has been eroded by the caustic winds of doubt.

If you are really interested in what constitutes a free nation run on
Christian principles, consider this essay by Bill Moyers, who I consider
to be a moral voice of reason, a true Christian in the classic sense:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/1761...meri ca/#more

Let me know where you think Trump stands, what principles he espouses
(besides making oodles of money for himself).

roland c.

Trump once wrote that it isn't the -money- than motivates him, it's the
-process- whereby he makes the money that motivates him. It's the
journey, not the destination.

Was that Trump or his ghost writer?

Wouldn't matter, the idea is quite plausible.

delete

Is this the kind of man you want as president?

The ill-debeest would be far worse.

Why did you snip this bit?

It has not been verified.

Were you a fraud to look it up. There's a lot like this on the Internet.

Oh, well then, if it's on the -Internet- ....

Try to keep an open mind.

I do have an open mind. Learn to follow your own advice, hypocrite.

Open mind?
You wouldn't know what it means. You are so locked into your tea party
mindset that you seem to believe any old rubbish as long as it comes out of
a right wing icon. Anything you disagree with forces you into a desperate
internet search for contrary evidence.
Trump would be a disaster as president. That wouldn't bother me if it
didn't mean he was in control of the US nuclear arsenal.
You only have to look at his hair to see how out of touch he is with the
real world.
The parts of posts you delete are those which you don't want to think
about. You'll probably delete this.

Because you're a mental coward.