Aurora Question

Old October 29th 03, 01:59 PM
Glenn Mulno

Default Aurora Question

Ok - It sounds like there is a remote possibility that even here in the
burbs of Boston I might be able to see an aurora tonight. Having never seen
one except is some ones photo - I am not entirely sure what the heck I am
looking for.

How long does a typical aurora last? Does it happened for an extended
period of time or is it one of those if you blink you missed it scenarios?
Any tips (other than go to the darkest location I can find) to improve my
chances?

Thanks,

--
Glenn

Old October 29th 03, 03:03 PM
Richard F.L.R. Snashall

Glenn Mulno wrote:

Ok - It sounds like there is a remote possibility that even here in the
burbs of Boston I might be able to see an aurora tonight. Having never seen
one except is some ones photo - I am not entirely sure what the heck I am
looking for.

Maybe you haven't noticed yet. When you see such events announced
in s.a.a., it is a coded message for clouds/rain/snow/sleet (substitute
anything but "clear") here abouts... or didn't you notice the rain
last night ?;-)

Old October 29th 03, 03:50 PM
Glenn Mulno

Oh sure - I noticed the rain. But the forecast is for clearing skies
"tonight" (whenever that is). Just thought I might give it a try. I just
want to have an idea of what I am looking for. I feel comfy as far as color
goes - I am just not sure how long it lasts and how frequent they appear.

Thanks,

--
Glenn

Old October 29th 03, 07:23 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Glenn Mulno" wrote in message
Oh sure - I noticed the rain. But the forecast is for clearing skies
"tonight" (whenever that is). Just thought I might give it a try. I just
want to have an idea of what I am looking for. I feel comfy as far as

color
goes - I am just not sure how long it lasts and how frequent they appear.

I'm told you should look at the sky every 10 minutes, because there can be
substantial changes on that timescale, and that the most activity is usually
just before midnight.

A native of Georgia, I am *not* an experienced aurora watcher!

Old October 29th 03, 10:00 PM
Rune Allnor

"Glenn Mulno" wrote in message ...
Ok - It sounds like there is a remote possibility that even here in the
burbs of Boston I might be able to see an aurora tonight. Having never seen
one except is some ones photo - I am not entirely sure what the heck I am
looking for.

How long does a typical aurora last? Does it happened for an extended
period of time or is it one of those if you blink you missed it scenarios?
Any tips (other than go to the darkest location I can find) to improve my
chances?

You are looking for a "neon-like" greenish light-glow in the skies.
It can be very prominent or it can be just some sort of eerie light
pollution. It usually appears in bands that some times span all the
visible sky, other times just parts of it. It usually lasts for hours,
but once you see it, chances are you'll be just watching how all those
light play over the sky, changing rapidly on the order of seconds.

Once you see it you will not be in doubt of what it is.

According to Scandinavian folklore the aurora was due to the "åsgårdsrei",
the ghosts of the dead returning to Odin's Valhall after battle. If you
wave at the aurora with a white piece of cloth, the spirits would see you
and bring you along. So you may want to pay a little attention to what you
are wearing while outside...

Rune
Old October 29th 03, 11:05 PM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

How long does a typical aurora last? Does it happened for an extended
period of time or is it one of those if you blink you missed it scenarios?
Any tips (other than go to the darkest location I can find) to improve my
chances?

It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to all night. The activity waxes and
wanes quite a bit as time goes on, but often the main auroral band low in the
north can remain present for much of the night. The quality of the display
can range from a barely-discrenable glow low in the north to some of the most
spectacular color that you will probably ever see in the sky. You need to be
out north of any major lighting and just keep watching for an hour or two at
least. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old November 1st 03, 12:18 PM
Lawrence Troxler

Rune Allnor wrote:

: Once you see it you will not be in doubt of what it is.

As a first-time observer as of about 8pm / Oct 30 EST (I guess that would
be
October 31, 0100 UTC, correct?), I see what you mean. Although the display
I saw was quite faint (apparently I
caught the last of it as it was fading) I quite instantly understood what
all those paintings and photographs of the northern lights were attempting
to depict.

Larry