ASTRO: B163 A dark nebula for a change

Old August 16th 12, 08:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: B163 A dark nebula for a change

Barnard 163 is one of many dark nebula in IC 1396 home of the far more
famous "Elephant Trunk". IC 1396 is a huge emission nebula in Cepheus.
Barnard 163 is a full degree from the center of the nebula and the
"Elephant Trunk", both of which are to the northwest. 2 degrees north
is Mu Cephei the "Garnet Star". So this is a rich area. It is thought
to be about 3000 light-years distant. For beginners I should mention
the B stands for Barnard. Edward Emerson Barnard was a famous
astronomer of the late 19th and early 20th century with lots of
discoveries credited to him. He complied a atlas of dark nebulae of
which this is entry 163. http://www.dvaa.org/AData/Barnard.html He
pioneered scientific imaging of the sky helping to bring an end to the
era of visual astronomy. While others had taken images of a few bright
objects he took the art to a much higher level. He also has a nearby
dwarf galaxy and a star named for him. Which reminds me. I have to
find some clear skies to add this year to my movie of his star's proper
motion. He was the sole discoverer of 14 comets and co discoverer of 2
more. He died in 1923 at the age of 65 from complications of diabetes
which had dogged him the latter part of his life.

To me Barnard 163 looks like a goose coming in for a landing. Even the
neck is goose-like. I saw several references to it looking like a duck
but what duck has such a long neck? "Wings" do look more duck-like
however. Barnard was more serious in his description: "Small; very
black; pointed to the S; two dark streams running from this to the N."

Also in my image (lower right corner) is the cometary globule (another
elephant trunk type object) GN 21.39.9 which houses a very tiny red spot
known as HH 588 which in turn is due to the young stellar object 2MASS
J21402898+5635556. This is a protostar condensing out of the cometary
globule that has not yet lit its hydrogen fusion core. I've marked a
few other HH objects in the area, all carrying the HH 588 name plus
additional descriptive characters so as to have a unique designation.
All are likely the result of a protostar hidden behind obscuring dust.
The annotated image shows a few of the brighter ones as well as other
named features. Two dark nebulae weren't in SIMBAD. They are marked by
a question mark. In researching this field I found some with very wrong
labels for these objects. I identified these using SIMBAD and plate
solving to find the exact locations so am sure of my designations. I
even copied and pasted them rather than risk a typo.

I am constantly asked how I come up with the objects I image. In most
cases my to-do list was done so long ago I have no idea but sometimes I
make a note. In this case it was an APOD image,
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110501.html . I even framed my image the
same. Considering the APOD is credited to several major observatories I
think my image is quite comparable. To see the entire cloud click on
the last link in the article then click on the image to see it oriented
the same as mine, north at the top. It shows Mu Cephei in the very top
of the nebula and Barnard 163 at the bottom. The real elephant trunk is
seen to the right of center.

Due to weather issues this was taken over many nights in August.
Conditions varied greatly making assembling this image "interesting" to
say the least. My not using H alpha data added to the issues - I wanted
to see if it was even possible without it and it was.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=9x10' RGB=4x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B163L9X10RGB4X10.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	960.7 KB
ID:	4225  Click image for larger version

Name:	B163L9X10RGB4X10-67.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	4226  Click image for larger version

Name:	B163L9X10RGB4X10-50-ID.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	4227  Click image for larger version

Name:	B163L9X10RGB4X10CROP67.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	4228