Armadillo ****ed at Masten

Old November 1st 09, 12:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Armadillo ****ed at Masten

Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

Pat
Old November 1st 09, 02:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

Pat Flannery wrote:
Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

I think he was more ****ed at the judges for giving them an extra day.

Pat

Old November 1st 09, 06:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

And now that real money is on the line, we see the 'mammals' starting
to behave like the 'dinosaurs'.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 2nd 09, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Pat Flannery wrote:

Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

And now that real money is on the line, we see the 'mammals' starting
to behave like the 'dinosaurs'.

I'm sure there is a bit of complaining over the rules, but the judges do
have some lattitude in what they're doing and I'd expect there to be some
complaining when they use that lattitude to seemingly help out one of the
contestants.

That said, I'm subscribed to the ARocket email list, and know that many of
the players in this competition are there and communicating with each other
on a regular basis (including both Armadillo and Masten). They tend to help
each other up the learning curves with information on hardware, procedures,
and etc. In this case, the reality is that Masten couldn't have flown
without a lot of people *who don't work for Masten* pitching in at the
competition and helping them fix their vehicle (apparantly a bit broken from
a hard landing?). The reality is that behind the scenes, the mammals really
are helping each other out a lot more than the press is letting on, and
they're doing so far more activly than the 'dinosaurs' help each other out
with each other's traditional cost-plus government contracts.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old November 2nd 09, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

And now that real money is on the line, we see the 'mammals' starting
to behave like the 'dinosaurs'.

I'm sure there is a bit of complaining over the rules, but the judges do
have some lattitude in what they're doing and I'd expect there to be some
complaining when they use that lattitude to seemingly help out one of the
contestants.

It's more than 'a bit of complaining' Jeff, Armadillo issued a press
release protesting the judges using that latitude.

That said, I'm subscribed to the ARocket email list, and know that many of
the players in this competition are there and communicating with each other
on a regular basis (including both Armadillo and Masten). They tend to help
each other up the learning curves with information on hardware, procedures,
and etc. In this case, the reality is that Masten couldn't have flown
without a lot of people *who don't work for Masten* pitching in at the
competition and helping them fix their vehicle (apparantly a bit broken from
a hard landing?). The reality is that behind the scenes, the mammals really
are helping each other out a lot more than the press is letting on, and
they're doing so far more activly than the 'dinosaurs' help each other out
with each other's traditional cost-plus government contracts.

You think I don't subscribe to Arocket? You think I don't know how
things work?

All your spin and whitewash doesn't change reality - a line has been
crossed even though the mammals may not yet realize it.

D.

Old November 4th 09, 12:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Pat Flannery wrote:

Says they cheated on the lunar lander prize:
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...te-erupts.html

And now that real money is on the line, we see the 'mammals' starting
to behave like the 'dinosaurs'.

I'm sure there is a bit of complaining over the rules, but the judges do
have some lattitude in what they're doing and I'd expect there to be some
complaining when they use that lattitude to seemingly help out one of the
contestants.

It's more than 'a bit of complaining' Jeff, Armadillo issued a press
release protesting the judges using that latitude.

Unfortunately, the way the rules were written, it looks like the judges
didn't violate the rules when doing so. Protesting may not do any good
because of this.

[...]

I agree that it looks like a moral line was crossed. The judges seemingly
abused their power in a way that favored one of the contestants.

If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Crying foul after the
fact won't do you any good. Everyone should have learned this lesson in
grade school.

In this down economy, people are getting screwed over left and right and
there is nothing they can do about it either. I know of a certain company
who has had maybe half a dozen rounds of layoffs so they can keep their
profit margins high enough. They're still making profits to keep the
shareholders happy and insure the higher ups get their bonuses (even as low
level employees enjoy a pay freeze and zero bonuses). It makes the
employees sick to their stomachs to know that their coworkers are getting
laid off just to maintain profits. In my opinion, it's morally repugnant
and a whole list of other things, but it's also completely legal.

Jeff

Old November 4th 09, 06:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

It's more than 'a bit of complaining' Jeff, Armadillo issued a press
release protesting the judges using that latitude.

Unfortunately, the way the rules were written, it looks like the judges
didn't violate the rules when doing so. Protesting may not do any good
because of this.

If we were discussing the behavior of the judges, you'd have a point.

All your spin and whitewash doesn't change reality - a line has been
crossed even though the mammals may not yet realize it.

I agree that it looks like a moral line was crossed. The judges seemingly
abused their power in a way that favored one of the contestants.

If we were discussing the behavior of the judges, you'd have a point.

unrelated twaddle snipped

Your ability to spin away from the point remains unmatched.

D.