ASTRO: who needs a telescope

Old October 24th 08, 11:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price[_2_]

Default ASTRO: who needs a telescope

Taken from a farm just south of Blueknob State Park on 23 October
2008. Taken with a Canon 300mm F/4 lens at F/4. Three 20 minute
exposures at 100ASA using a Hutech modified Canon 40D. Image reduced
to 50% of original.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M31_10_23_2008_300mmF4__40DH_3x20min_100ASA_50p.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	900.5 KB
ID:	2239
Old October 25th 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Robert Price wrote:
Taken from a farm just south of Blueknob State Park on 23 October
2008. Taken with a Canon 300mm F/4 lens at F/4. Three 20 minute
exposures at 100ASA using a Hutech modified Canon 40D. Image reduced
to 50% of original.

Probably about the same look as you'd get with a non modified camera
since little HII is involved. This should encourage others with DSLR's
to piggy back their cameras!

In any case that's a great image. I took a shot in the early 60's
(1961?) of it using a 400mm f/6.3 lens that cost me all of $35 and an
Exa body that cost the same. Though instead of a real mount I used a
two hinge barn door mount driven by a 30's era wind up alarm clock
mechanism. I suppose that clock if not tore up for the drive would be
worth a lot today. I have no idea what happened to either the barn door
mount or the "drive". I used Tri X and 30 minutes. Today's CCD's have
far more resolution than 35mm Tri-X. The attached photo is as big as it
can go without severe grain showing and has all the resolution of the
negative (lost when a tree limb came through the roof in 1991 during a
severe ice storm).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m31.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2240
Old October 25th 08, 12:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kev Lawrence

Very good images from both of you.

Doesnt it show progress very well! What ameteurs get out of small scopes
today professionals would have been proud of until recently.

Kev

Old October 25th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:30:58 -0400, Robert Price
wrote:

Taken from a farm just south of Blueknob State Park on 23 October
2008. Taken with a Canon 300mm F/4 lens at F/4. Three 20 minute
exposures at 100ASA using a Hutech modified Canon 40D. Image reduced
to 50% of original.

Wow! Can I see the full size please?

After an enjoyable eighteen holes of golf, a man stopped in a bar for a beer before heading home. There he struck up a conversation with a ravishing young beauty. They had a couple of drinks, liked each other, and soon she invited him over to her apartment. For two hours they made mad, passionate love.
On the way home, the man's conscience started bothering him something awful. He loved his wife and didn't want this unplanned indiscretion to ruin their relationship, so he decided the only thing to do was come clean.
"Honey," he said when he got home, "I have a confession to make. After I played
golf today, I stopped by the bar for a beer, met a beautiful woman, went back to
her apartment and made love to her for two hours. I'm sorry, it won't ever happen
again, and I hope you'll forgive me."
His wife scowled at him and said, "Don't lie to me, you sorry scumbag! You played thirty-six holes, didn't you?"
Old November 12th 08, 07:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
ergonaut

Robert Price wrote in
:

Well you still need something to guide the thing....