No more observing for Patrick!

Old March 29th 05, 11:33 PM
Steve

Default No more observing for Patrick!

Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is preventing
him from observing so he is `hanging up the scope` so to speak.
Steve
Old March 30th 05, 12:18 AM
Fleetie

"Steve" wrote
Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is preventing him from observing so he is `hanging up the scope` so
to speak.
Steve

CCD, computerised drive, PC and some long cables?

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Old March 30th 05, 07:10 AM

Steve wrote:
Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is

preventing
him from observing ...

Any word whether he is "hanging up" _The Sky at Night_?

- Canopus56

Old March 30th 05, 09:43 AM
Lawrence Harris

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:33:39 GMT, Steve wrote:

Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is preventing
him from observing so he is `hanging up the scope` so to speak.
Steve

I did suggest to Patrick during the Star Party that a webcam and other minimal
equipment would enable him, albeit with a little help, to continue any level
of observations, but he seems to feel that it is not the same as direct
eyeball vision. I can sympathise with that view but I still feel that Patrick
could get a lot of pleasure from using more recent technology to continue to
enjoy the hobby. For decades, I also spent much time doing direct observing -
and still do a little - but our equipment can let us see so much more.

Lawrence Harris

Old March 30th 05, 10:26 AM
Phil Stovell

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:33:39 GMT in uk.sci.astronomy, Steve
wrote:

Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is preventing
him from observing so he is `hanging up the scope` so to speak.
Steve

That's really sad :-(.
--
Phil Stovell, Hampshire, United Kingdom

I do not reply to usenet posts containing ad hominems.
Except in uk.politics.misc, of course, which is nothing but.
Old March 30th 05, 10:45 AM
Ian Sharp

See the topic "Full moon with PM's 15" Newt" for more on this.
Cheers
Ian.

Old March 30th 05, 11:13 AM
Andy Guthrie

wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve wrote:
Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is

preventing
him from observing ...

Any word whether he is "hanging up" _The Sky at Night_?

Not before April 2007 surely ?

Old March 30th 05, 12:01 PM
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve wrote:
Sorry to see in the Daily Mail today (29th) Patrick`s back is

preventing
him from observing ...

Any word whether he is "hanging up" _The Sky at Night_?

There was a similar article in the Telegraph about this at the weekend. He
said he intended to continue doing the Sky at Night at present.
He has not been able to use a scope for more than a very short glance, for
quite a while.
There is a double 'sadness' to this, since technology today (CCD camera,
and a TV screen), potentially allows superb viewing without accessing the
eyepiece, but he also has hand problems, and 'likes' the real feeling of
viewing through an eyepiece, rather than the isolated version on TV.
Apparently he has a computer, but doesn't get on with it...
Perhaps somebody can persuade him that a simplified 'low light' camera,
and screen version (without involving a computer), is very close to the
same as using the eyepiece.

Best Wishes

Old March 30th 05, 03:01 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Lawrence Harris" Lawrence@astronomer wrote in message
[...]

The wide field views relayed indoors live to his wide screen TV for a while
during the Star Party using a Mintron camera were very impressive.

Robin

Old March 30th 05, 04:01 PM
adm

"Robin Leadbeater" wrote in message

The wide field views relayed indoors live to his wide screen TV for a
while
during the Star Party using a Mintron camera were very impressive.

Just as a metter of interest, what Mintron camera was used ? I am thinking
about a set up like this (with a Meade GoTo scope and a copy of Starry Night
or similar).....