Where is this located?

Old August 6th 19, 12:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Where is this located?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Airlock_Module
Apparently this is being launched on the next Dragon flight.
But I'm curious where it will be berthed.

Anyone know.

Old August 6th 19, 08:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Airlock_Module
Apparently this is being launched on the next Dragon flight.
But I'm curious where it will be berthed.

Anyone know.

Endcap of Node 3 apparently. Reference 4 in that article leads to an
arstechnica article with more detail.

Anthony

Old August 6th 19, 11:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Airlock_Module
Apparently this is being launched on the next Dragon flight.
But I'm curious where it will be berthed.

Anyone know.

Picture shows it attached to the axial CBM on a Node:

http://nanoracks.com/nanoracks-adds-...ce-to-airlock/

It's the dome shaped thing on the axial CBM port. That's really all it
is. You open the CBM hatch, load this thing up with nano-satellites,
close the CBM hatch, undo the CBM attachment (motorized bolts), then use
the SSRMS to grab the dome shaped thing and aim it the other way for
satellite deployment.

Jeff

Old August 6th 19, 04:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 8/6/2019 6:30 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

It's the dome shaped thing on the axial CBM port. That's really all it
is. You open the CBM hatch, load this thing up with nano-satellites,
close the CBM hatch, undo the CBM attachment (motorized bolts), then use
the SSRMS to grab the dome shaped thing and aim it the other way for
satellite deployment.

Jeff

I suppose I should read the article. What's the advantage of being able
to do that from the ISS? Last minute reconfigurations of the satellites?
Retreival of satellites after exposure to space?

Dave
Old August 6th 19, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

On 8/6/2019 6:30 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

It's the dome shaped thing on the axial CBM port. That's really all it
is. You open the CBM hatch, load this thing up with nano-satellites,
close the CBM hatch, undo the CBM attachment (motorized bolts), then use
the SSRMS to grab the dome shaped thing and aim it the other way for
satellite deployment.

I suppose I should read the article. What's the advantage of being able
to do that from the ISS? Last minute reconfigurations of the satellites?
Retreival of satellites after exposure to space?

I honestly have no idea what the advantage is. This is only for
deployment. Retrieval has not been done, as far as I know.

The Russians just take them outside with the crew on an EVA and deploy
them by hand. The US has this fancy deployment mechanism. I believe
that the Japanese lab module also has a deployment mechanism for
smallsats. So I'm not really sure what the "need" is for this US
system.

Jeff

Old August 6th 19, 11:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2019-08-05 19:34, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Airlock_Module
Apparently this is being launched on the next Dragon flight.
But I'm curious where it will be berthed.

On top of other links, video of installation and the various uses
techniques of the bishop airlock.

https://youtu.be/d6lBmmxScsI

the airlock can be used as launch while held by SSRMS, or when attacked
to the mobile base system on the truss.

With regular cargo shipments to ISS, it makes it easy to launch small
number of satellites who couldn't otherwise get on their own rocket.

Both Arianespace and SpaceX have just announced that they will sell
dedicated smallsat launches. These are ride-shares organized directly
by Arianespace and SpaceX.

Arianespace and SpaceX offering new dedicated rideshare services
by Jeff Foust - August 5, 2019
https://spacenews.com/arianespace-an...new-dedicated-
rideshare-services/

To me, this is looking like yet another area where the government is
competing with private enterprise. No sir, I don't like it.

Jeff
Old August 7th 19, 01:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2019-08-06 18:20, Jeff Findley wrote:

Both Arianespace and SpaceX have just announced that they will sell
dedicated smallsat launches. These are ride-shares organized directly
by Arianespace and SpaceX.

If I want to send my iPhone in orbit as a "small sat", wouldn.t I get a
better deal going with NASA which likely subsidizes such endeavours for
people it likes vs having to buy a launch from SpaceX or ArianeSpace?

That's my point. Why should the US Government be subsidizing the
smallsat industry? NASA should be working on innovating and pushing
bleeding edge tech. Smallsat launch is not that.

It is easier to pack such a device in a box/pallets to be launched to
ISS on Dragon/Cygnus/Progress, and then launchy it out of that airlock
rather than having to deal with SpaceX/Ariane to get the specs for the
luanch interface and do all the paperwork for a single little device.
(if you're sending 60 cobesats, things would be different).

If you think NASA paperwork would be a picnic, I've got a bridge to sell
you.

Actually, the size of cubesats have been standardized for quite some
time. There are also standard cubesat launchers as well. Atlas V
announced its entry into this space years ago:

ULA Making Cubesat Dispenser Standard on all Atlas 5 Rockets
by Mike Gruss - November 23, 2015
https://spacenews.com/ula-making-cub...andard-on-all-
atlas-5-rockets/

As for Cygnus, you can hitch a ride directly on the Cygnus. No need to
go inside ISS:

External Cygnus Deployment
http://nanoracks.com/products/extern...us-deployment/

And I haven't even mentioned the dedicated smallsat launchers like
Elektron and the like.

Again, I see *zero* reason for NASA to be doing this on ISS. It's not
pushing tech in any way and it's clearly directly competing with private
industry.

Jeff
Old August 7th 19, 11:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2019-08-06 20:18, Jeff Findley wrote:

That's my point. Why should the US Government be subsidizing the
smallsat industry?

Industry, no. But research and educational institutions yes.

NASA can do this by grants to research and educational institutions.
NASA doesn't need to be in the smallsat launch business. The US
Government should not be in direct competition with private industry
like this. It's b.s.

If you think NASA paperwork would be a picnic, I've got a bridge to sell
you.

I suspect that when NASA chooses some educational instiutution for some
experiment on ISS, the paperwork is done by NASA PAO because they want
the good PR from those projects.

You suspect? How about a cite instead?

Again, I see *zero* reason for NASA to be doing this on ISS.

Do any of the small launches from ISS remain in communications with ISS
for the experiment? (aka: experiment monitored by ISS crews)? That could
be an advantage of an ISS launch vs launch on a rocket.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing not. Their orbits will diverge
from each other, so it's going to be hard for ISS to monitor a smallsat
that's literally on the other side of the planet.

The fact that NASA wants this capability and the Japanse lab is at
capacity for such launchs points to there being a need for ISS
operations to launch such objects.

I never said there wasn't a need. But why does the US Government have
to provide this service when there are literally dozens of start-up
smallsat launchers being developed in the US? Why should the US
Government take market share away from a growing market where US
companies are trying to compete (and drive down prices)?

I'm sorry, but this is entirely ass-backwards. When the shuttle was
planning to fly educational payloads, it made sense because there were
precious other ways for such payloads to fly. But this is now 2019 not
1979.

And yesterday, Rocketlab just announced that they're going to attempt to
recover and reuse Electron first stages:

Rocket Lab to attempt to reuse Electron first stage
by Jeff Foust - August 6, 2019
https://spacenews.com/rocket-lab-to-...lectron-first-
stage/

This is *exactly* the sort of commercial innovation that NASA is
undercutting by offering subsidized rides.

Jeff

Old August 7th 19, 02:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
Jeff Findley wrote:

The Russians just take them outside with the crew on an EVA and deploy
them by hand. The US has this fancy deployment mechanism. I believe
that the Japanese lab module also has a deployment mechanism for
smallsats.

The USA *doesn't* currently have independent capability, they get half
the openings of the Japanese airlock (12 a year limit so 6 available) to
put stuff outside. Smallsat launches have to share with experiments
using the JEM exposed facility which is creating a bottleneck. This new
'airlock' will allow more launches more frequently.

Anthony