Iranian forgery of Ansari photo -- too much body hair visible!!

Old September 17th 06, 03:38 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Iranian forgery of Ansari photo -- too much body hair visible!!

Some over-zealous misogynistic mullah in Iran had to
hide Ansari's head hair with a photoshopped space helmet --
can't be inflaming them passions of chaste Moslem men!

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2006/09...xtography.html

Old September 17th 06, 02:03 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 03:51:38 GMT, in a place far, far away, Gene Cash
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way
as to indicate that:

"Jim Oberg" writes:

Some over-zealous misogynistic mullah in Iran had to
hide Ansari's head hair with a photoshopped space helmet --
can't be inflaming them passions of chaste Moslem men!

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2006/09...xtography.html

Now THAT'S funny!

But to be fair, it's no different than the Christians trying to bleep
all the "foul" language or sex scenes out of the movies. Or all the
books they're trying to ban.

One evil repressive religion is not much different from any other.

Funny, I don't recall Christians rioting and threatening death to the
infidels when whosit dunked the crucifix in ****, or that guy painted
a picture of the virgin with elephant dung.

Insult Christianity, and the Christians just shake their heads.
Insult Islam, and get death threats. No, no difference at all.

What I really find amusing is the current furor about what the Pope
said. Now there's the immovable object meeting the irresistible force.

I think that by their actions, they made his point quite eloquently.
Old September 17th 06, 02:45 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Herb Schaltegger[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:03:04 -0500, Rand Simberg wrote
(in article ):

Funny, I don't recall Christians rioting and threatening death to the
infidels when whosit dunked the crucifix in ****, or that guy painted a
picture of the virgin with elephant dung.

Then you're not looking very hard.

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you

Old September 17th 06, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg[_1_]

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:03:04 -0500, Rand Simberg wrote

Funny, I don't recall Christians rioting and threatening death to the
infidels when whosit dunked the crucifix in ****, or that guy painted a
picture of the virgin with elephant dung.

Then you're not looking very hard.

I recall protests about such stuff being done with taxpayer funds,
but I watched the controversy pretty closely and, like Rand, never
noticed any ritoing or death threats. Herb, are you delusional, or
do you have news links to back up your assertion? Or some other possibility?

Old September 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:45:21 -0500, in a place far, far away, Herb
Schaltegger made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:03:04 -0500, Rand Simberg wrote
(in article ):

Funny, I don't recall Christians rioting and threatening death to the
infidels when whosit dunked the crucifix in ****, or that guy painted a
picture of the virgin with elephant dung.

Then you're not looking very hard.

Then I'm sure you'll provide an example. To be comparable, it would
have to be by the millions, in the streets, encouraged by the clergy,
not just a few nutjobs.
Old September 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Markus Baur

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:45:21 -0500, in a place far, far away, Herb
Schaltegger made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Then you're not looking very hard.

Then I'm sure you'll provide an example. To be comparable, it would
have to be by the millions, in the streets, encouraged by the clergy,
not just a few nutjobs.

have you looked into history .. ?

like - things going on shortly before, during or after the 30 years
war perhaps?

government repression of other (=differing from the one the government
believes in) christian believes?

"Cuius regio, eius religio" was a generaly accepted policy statement ...

progroms of protestant or orthodox or catholic or jewish minorites,
aided and abeted by authorities as a social "safety valve"?

servus

markus

Old September 17th 06, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg[_1_]

"Markus Baur" wrote in message
.. .
have you looked into history .. ?

Right -- four hundred frigging years ago...

Nutjob yourself.

Old September 17th 06, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:50:37 +0200, in a place far, far away, Markus
Baur made the phosphor on my monitor glow

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:45:21 -0500, in a place far, far away, Herb
Schaltegger made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Then you're not looking very hard.

Then I'm sure you'll provide an example. To be comparable, it would
have to be by the millions, in the streets, encouraged by the clergy,
not just a few nutjobs.

have you looked into history .. ?

We're not talking about history. Christianity had its Reformation
hundreds of years ago. Islam still awaits its. That was one of the
points of the Pope's speech.
Old September 17th 06, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Jochem Huhmann

h (Rand Simberg) writes:

Insult Christianity, and the Christians just shake their heads.

First, when it's like that (and it isn't everywhere like that) this is
quite new. And when things have changed in the past few hundred years,
this was not because Christianity has gotton more reasonable, but
because its role in society has been sidelined to a very large degree
(and the Christians didn't like that at all, mostly). There are more
than enough Christians totally willing to remove the head of someone who
insulted Christianity if they'd get away with it. Has happened in the
past more than once...

Insult Islam, and get death threats. No, no difference at all.

Well, I think give Islam a few hundred years in a stable and prospering
society with guaranteed civil liberties and it will look very much like
Christianity in the more civilized parts of the world looks now. Islam
is just very much in the Dark Ages right now.

You shouldn't think that either Christianity or Islam are shy of killing
or torturing Unbelievers. Look at what Christianity has done over the
centuries and Islam today looks not that bad at all compared to this.

The choice is not between Islam and Christianity, it's between societies
ruled by law and rationality and those ruled by power and propaganda. By
which name individuals in both societies call their deity is hardly worth
more than a footnote.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old September 17th 06, 07:25 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:21:03 +0200, in a place far, far away, Jochem
Huhmann made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) writes:

Insult Christianity, and the Christians just shake their heads.

First, when it's like that (and it isn't everywhere like that)

Where is it not like that?

this is
quite new. And when things have changed in the past few hundred years,
this was not because Christianity has gotton more reasonable, but
because its role in society has been sidelined to a very large degree
(and the Christians didn't like that at all, mostly). There are more
than enough Christians totally willing to remove the head of someone who
insulted Christianity if they'd get away with it. Has happened in the
past more than once...

The past is not the present. Again, this is exactly the point that
the Pope made.

Insult Islam, and get death threats. No, no difference at all.

Well, I think give Islam a few hundred years in a stable and prospering
society with guaranteed civil liberties and it will look very much like
Christianity in the more civilized parts of the world looks now.

I hope you're right. A few centuries is a long time to wait. The
problem is that we're not talking about centuries ago, or centuries
from now, but rather, the present.

Islam is just very much in the Dark Ages right now.

Which is my point.