Iranian-American space tourist to fly NEXT MONTH

Old August 22nd 06, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Rusty

Default Iranian-American space tourist to fly NEXT MONTH

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 22 Aug 2006 11:32:01 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Rusty"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Eric Chomko wrote:
Glen Overby wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Wouldn't Ansari be the fifth ride that Russia has sold to space (unless
they have sold others)?

Don't forget the two congressmen that NASA sent up on the shuttle.

Didn't they put those guys to work? They should have!
I bet John Glenn worked...

Trivia question:

How many U.S. Senators have been in space?

The answer, of course, depends on whether you mean they were Senators
when they were in space, or they are Senators now...

Either way, the answer is one. If you mean either, then two...

And if you want to talk ex-Senators (or future Senators...) it gets
even more complicated...

Four people. Glenn (flew before and after election). Garn (flew while
in the Senate). Nelson (was a Congressman at the time, later elected
Senator.) Schmidt (later elected senator).

Rusty

Old August 22nd 06, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Rusty

Default Tehran News Service Plagiarizes Other Services

Jim Oberg wrote:

A US-based Iranian businesswoman, Anoushe Ansari, will travel into space as the world's fourth space tourist, instead of Japan's Daisuke Enomoto who has been ruled unfit to make the trip into space.

When Daisuke Enomoto was washed out by the Russian doctors, did the
Russian space agency refund all of his money, or did they keep a
portion for the space training received up to that point?

Rusty

Old August 22nd 06, 08:00 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Glen Overby[_1_]

Eric Chomko wrote:
I wrote:
Don't forget the two congressmen that NASA sent up on the shuttle.

Didn't they put those guys to work? They should have!

well, sure, but writing pro-nasa legislation hardly requires a visit to space
to write.

I bet John Glenn worked...

As I recall, he flew on the rationale of medical research. I don't recall
ever hearing much of what he did. Did he ever sign the medical release so
researchers (other than his doctor) could use the information gathered?
(probably a quesiton for JimO).

Glen Overby
Old August 22nd 06, 08:36 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 22 Aug 2006 11:50:43 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Rusty"

Eric Chomko wrote:
Glen Overby wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Wouldn't Ansari be the fifth ride that Russia has sold to space (unless
they have sold others)?

Don't forget the two congressmen that NASA sent up on the shuttle.

Didn't they put those guys to work? They should have!
I bet John Glenn worked...

Trivia question:

How many U.S. Senators have been in space?

The answer, of course, depends on whether you mean they were Senators
when they were in space, or they are Senators now...

Either way, the answer is one. If you mean either, then two...

And if you want to talk ex-Senators (or future Senators...) it gets
even more complicated...

Four people. Glenn (flew before and after election). Garn (flew while
in the Senate). Nelson (was a Congressman at the time, later elected
Senator.) Schmidt (later elected senator).

But only Nelson is a Senator now, and only Garn flew while a Senator,
so what I said. And it's Schmitt, not Schmidt...

Are there Rusty tee shirts?
Old August 22nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Rusty wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:
Glen Overby wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Wouldn't Ansari be the fifth ride that Russia has sold to space (unless
they have sold others)?

Don't forget the two congressmen that NASA sent up on the shuttle.

Didn't they put those guys to work? They should have!
I bet John Glenn worked...

Trivia question:

How many U.S. Senators have been in space?

Two, Jake Garn and John Glenn.

Eric

Rusty

Old August 22nd 06, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Thieves always find excuses,
as do friends of thieves....

"JF Mezei" wrote in message
Jim Oberg wrote:
Ansari's selection merely a

rewrite of two other stories, from ARRL (

In case you didn't know, it is extremely common for media outlets to
take text from newswires and include them mostly unchanged in their ow
content. That is why they pay the big bucks to get those news feeds.

One whether the media from one nation that has been artificially
isolated from the world by another nation would pay for those feeds is a
different story.

Old August 22nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message . net
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:38:09 -0400, in a place far, far away, John Doe
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as
to indicate that:

What does "Iranian-American" mean ?

It means she was born in Iran, but has become a naturalized US
citizen.

Ah, that must explain all those African-Americans then.

Like Charlize Theron you mean?

Anthony

Old August 23rd 06, 12:15 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:42:18 +0100, in a place far, far away, Anthony
Frost made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

In message . net
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:38:09 -0400, in a place far, far away, John Doe
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as
to indicate that:

What does "Iranian-American" mean ?

It means she was born in Iran, but has become a naturalized US
citizen.

Ah, that must explain all those African-Americans then.

Like Charlize Theron you mean?

And Theresa Kerry^H^H^H^H^HHeinz.

Also, Andrew Case, who used to post here, is a Zambian-American,
despite being a person of pallor.
Old August 23rd 06, 01:37 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
John Charles

Glen Overby wrote:
...As I recall, he flew on the rationale of medical research. I don't recall
ever hearing much of what he did. Did he ever sign the medical release so
researchers (other than his doctor) could use the information gathered?
(probably a quesiton for JimO).

Glen, I hope you will be comforted to learn that Sen. Glenn did indeed
sign every release form that weput in front of him, in my presence.
And his data has been published (fully personally identifiable, as a
septuagenarian astronaut) in credible, reputable scientific journals.

John Charles
Houston, Texas

Old August 23rd 06, 05:23 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy
hop

Rusty wrote:

When Daisuke Enomoto was washed out by the Russian doctors, did the
Russian space agency refund all of his money, or did they keep a
portion for the space training received up to that point?

Rusty

I'd be very surprised if they didn't charge him for the training
program. Especially given that he may, like Olsen, get his flight
eventually.

If Ansari flies, does she pay full price, or does she get a discount
for filling in ? I assume she also paid a fair bit to just be a backup,
with (historically) very little chance of flying.

Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't remember Tito, Shuttleworth or
Olsen ever ever being listed as backups.

NOMINATION: digest, volume 2453397 Ross Astronomy Misc 233 October 23rd 05 04:24 AM
CEV PDQ Scott Lowther Policy 577 May 27th 05 10:11 PM
National Space Policy: NSDD-42 (issued on July 4th, 1982) Stuf4 Policy 145 July 28th 04 07:30 AM
Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers) Rand Simberg Space Science Misc 18 February 14th 04 04:28 AM
New Space Race? Eugene Kent Misc 9 November 13th 03 02:42 PM