Planets can form in the galactic center!?

Old September 13th 12, 06:07 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Planets can form in the galactic center!?

Planets can form in the galactic center - Astronomy Magazine
http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx...b-fe6a804559b3
Old September 13th 12, 03:37 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:07:15 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Planets can form in the galactic center -
Astronomy Magazine

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx...b-fe6a804559b3

Consuming a stellar sheath (it seems to me) is not forming a planet. They are just imagining that planets could form in a cloud with no differential rotation. If that were the case, globular clusters would have more mergers than they do.

I also don't "believe" this.

David A. Smith
Old September 15th 12, 10:21 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 13/09/2012 10:37 AM, dlzc wrote:
Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:07:15 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Planets can form in the galactic center -
Astronomy Magazine

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx...b-fe6a804559b3

Consuming a stellar sheath (it seems to me) is not forming a planet. They are just imagining that planets could form in a cloud with no differential rotation. If that were the case, globular clusters would have more mergers than they do.

I also don't "believe" this.

Well, I guess they are saying that this proves planetary disks can form
in the galactic center. So even if they aren't being consumed by the
galactic blackhole, they may still exist around other stars in the region.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 15th 12, 10:32 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 13/09/2012 10:37 AM, dlzc wrote:
Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:07:15 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Planets can form in the galactic center -
Astronomy Magazine

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx...b-fe6a804559b3

Consuming a stellar sheath (it seems to me) is not forming a planet. They are just imagining that planets could form in a cloud with no differential rotation. If that were the case, globular clusters would have more mergers than they do.

I also don't "believe" this.

David A. Smith

I'm also getting a little excited at the prospect of our galactic
blackhole becoming a quasar. I wonder if it's going to be as visible as
a supernova?

Yousuf Khan
Old September 16th 12, 06:55 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:32:09 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I'm also getting a little excited at the
prospect of our galactic blackhole becoming a
quasar. I wonder if it's going to be as
visible as a supernova?

If we were aligned along its axis of rotation, we'd already see it as either a pulsar or a quasar.

I doubt we will see too much different in the ecliptic plane due to the intervening dust, were it to increase.

But if we see the Puppeteer fleet on its way outsystem, we know it is time to leave too...

David A. Smith
Old September 18th 12, 05:10 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 16/09/2012 1:55 PM, dlzc wrote:
Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:32:09 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I'm also getting a little excited at the
prospect of our galactic blackhole becoming a
quasar. I wonder if it's going to be as
visible as a supernova?

If we were aligned along its axis of rotation, we'd already see it as either a pulsar or a quasar.

I doubt we will see too much different in the ecliptic plane due to the intervening dust, were it to increase.

That dang dust again, keeps us from seeing all of the cool stuff.

But if we see the Puppeteer fleet on its way outsystem, we know it is time to leave too...

Okay, explain that sci-fi reference.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 18th 12, 03:05 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

http://www.astronomy.com/~/link.aspx...4264-b30b-fe6a....

Consuming a stellar sheath (it seems to me) is not forming a planet. *They are just imagining that planets could form in a cloud with no differential rotation. *If that were the case, globular clusters would have more mergers than they do.

I also don't "believe" this.

Well, I guess they are saying that this proves planetary disks can form
in the galactic center. So even if they aren't being consumed by the
galactic blackhole, they may still exist around other stars in the region..

* * * * Yousuf Khan

And that's a very large and well illuminated region that should be
highly evolved because, all of the local stars at the galactic center
should be those of such terrific metallicity.

Old September 18th 12, 05:59 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Monday, September 17, 2012 9:10:54 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 16/09/2012 1:55 PM, dlzc wrote:

But if we see the Puppeteer fleet on its way
outsystem, we know it is time to leave too...

Okay, explain that sci-fi reference.

Sorry.

"Ringworld" by Niven (and Pournelle?). The mentally unbalanced scouts of a race called Pierson's Puppeteers (who had been encountered in previous novels) had observed a calamity near the center of the Milky Way, that was going to end up destroying life in the Milky Way in some 100,000 years or so. So they accelerated some planets to 0.1c or so, set them up with an artificial sun, and they (the more conservative members, who did not care for the probabilities of FTL) rode them outsystem.

Ringworld was good, Ringworld Engineers was OK too, I did not get beyond that.

David A. Smith
Old September 19th 12, 08:39 PM posted to sci.astro
Dr J R Stockton[_176_]

In sci.astro message 17eef273-53df-4f0d-b8fa-af556a7f8c4c@googlegroups.
com, Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:59:10, dlzc posted:

[...]

Ringworld and three sequels were written by Niven only. Four prequels
("Fleet of Worlds" series) were written by Niven & Lerner. For details,
see Wikipedia.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old September 20th 12, 04:49 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/09/2012 10:05 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
On Sep 15, 2:21 pm, Yousuf wrote:
Well, I guess they are saying that this proves planetary disks can form
in the galactic center. So even if they aren't being consumed by the
galactic blackhole, they may still exist around other stars in the region.

Yousuf Khan

And that's a very large and well illuminated region that should be
highly evolved because, all of the local stars at the galactic center
should be those of such terrific metallicity.

Lots of metallicity, but a very turbulent environment, with a lot of
supernovas going off nearby. The largest stars probably form close to here.

Yousuf Khan