Are NASA astronauts being abused at the Space Station?

Old November 15th 07, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

Default Are NASA astronauts being abused at the Space Station?

NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly. Vacation
time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else. They should be able
to do whatever they want on their off-time. Like, stare out the window,
take pictures, play the guitar, go for a walk ... maybe even start their
own business.

I wonder what kinds of businesses Astronauts would start in their free-time
on-orbit?

I know that the Cosmonauts are entrepreneurial, but I wonder, are there any
entrepreneurial Astronauts visiting the Space Station?

Since I'm most likely going to be voting for Ron Paul in the next election,
and he likes free-markets, I would hope Astronauts would be free to do what
they want in their spare time. Like the Cosmonauts seem to be.

Or, does NASA have a monopoly on Astronauts time on-orbit?

Anybody have Astronaut Peggy Whitson Space Station E-Mail address? I'd like
to offer her ten dollars for a picture of me at my house in Clear Lake...
Is she free to do that? Make a little extra cash in her free time?

Or, would I have a better chance at getting an e-mailed picture from
Cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko?

I wonder what the auction price would be for a personal high resolution
e-mail from space, taken by an actual Astronaut or Cosmonaut? I'd probably
even save the e-mail, use the picture as desktop background, a picture of
me at my house waving at the Astronauts and Cosmonauts as they fly over.
Even though the resolution might not be high enough to make out all the
detail, it's the thought that counts. Definitely worth ten bucks.

Ten bucks from a thousand people, all waving hello from below. I usually
wave when I see them go over anyway.

Anybody else out there wave to the crew of ISS as they flies over?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation
time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else. They should be
able
to do whatever they want on their off-time. Like, stare out the window,
take pictures, play the guitar, go for a walk ... maybe even start their
own business.

So how many hours per week are NASA astronauts on ISS "on the clock" so to
speak? A normal work week for me is sometimes closer to 50 hours, not
including commute times, which are really short on ISS. ;-)

I know that the last Skylab mission had a problem with the "overtime" they
were being required to work.

Jeff
--
"When transportation is cheap, frequent, reliable, and flexible,
everything else becomes easier."

Old November 15th 07, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else. They
should be able to do whatever they want on their off-time. Like, stare
out the window, take pictures, play the guitar, go for a walk ... maybe
even start their own business.

So how many hours per week are NASA astronauts on ISS "on the clock" so to
speak? A normal work week for me is sometimes closer to 50 hours, not
including commute times, which are really short on ISS. ;-)

And what of sailors at sea, and soldiers in the field? My work week
averaged around 80 hours underway.

But the commute was indeed short.

I know that the last Skylab mission had a problem with the "overtime" they
were being required to work.

I think the problem was less being required to work overtime, than
overtime was required to complete the assigned work. I.E. the ground
consistently underestimated the time required to complete the jobs.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 15th 07, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.station
Todd H.

Craig Fink writes:

NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly. Vacation
time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else.

Curious--what parallel universe do you live in where everybody has
paid vacation and a 40 hour week?

Has anyone encountered anyone coming home from ISS stage that looked
or seem abused?

Is the post tantamount to calling for prosecution of a victimless
crime?

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Old November 16th 07, 05:20 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else. They
should be able to do whatever they want on their off-time. Like, stare
out the window, take pictures, play the guitar, go for a walk ... maybe
even start their own business.

So how many hours per week are NASA astronauts on ISS "on the clock" so to
speak? A normal work week for me is sometimes closer to 50 hours, not
including commute times, which are really short on ISS. ;-)

And what of sailors at sea, and soldiers in the field? My work week
averaged around 80 hours underway.

But the commute was indeed short.

Yeah, but the sleeping quarters could be a bit lacking.

I recall reading a book about life on the USS Kennedy, discussed how the
guys working on the engines often never saw the sky during their tour of
duty.

I know that the last Skylab mission had a problem with the "overtime" they
were being required to work.

I think the problem was less being required to work overtime, than
overtime was required to complete the assigned work. I.E. the ground
consistently underestimated the time required to complete the jobs.

I think that's about right.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old November 16th 07, 09:20 AM posted to sci.space.station
Bob the Tomato[_2_]

Asking an astronaut to take a pic of you in your backyard is not gonna
happen.

The cameras belong to the govt. The bandwidth to get the digital info
to the ground, and the radios used to transmit that info, likewise
belong to the govt.

The astronauts can do what they want with their time off, but using
govt resources for private enterprise is out.

Plus, astro time on orbit is somewhere around $75,000 an hour. I
don't want them screwing off and taking long coffee breaks!

--
Bob the Tomato

Old November 16th 07, 09:54 AM posted to sci.space.station
MetroHenrik

" NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation
time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else.

Curious--what parallel universe do you live in where everybody has
paid vacation and a 40 hour week?

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/

Well, the normal time of work in Denmark, are 37 hour, a week. 5-6 weeks
paid vacation, and when i get sick, the company accept 1-2 days a month.
If you calle that a parallel universe, thats just around the globe. (where
the ISS never flies over)

Henrik

Old November 16th 07, 02:44 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

MetroHenrik wrote:

" NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation
time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else.

Curious--what parallel universe do you live in where everybody has
paid vacation and a 40 hour week?

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/

Well, the normal time of work in Denmark, are 37 hour, a week. 5-6 weeks
paid vacation, and when i get sick, the company accept 1-2 days a month.
If you calle that a parallel universe, thats just around the globe. (where
the ISS never flies over)

Many people in the United States don't understand the parallel universes
that other people live in. And when do you get your 5-6 weeks vacation in
Denmark?

Here in the US, it's common practice to give no vacation time for a little
while. After six months to a year, usually a week or two. By the time
someone has been with a company long enough to earn 5-6 weeks of vacation a
year, they are about to retire. That is if they didn't get layed off and
had to go back to a week or two of vacation with some other company.

Your talking to a bunch of serfs here on the other side of the Atlantic.
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 16th 07, 03:18 PM posted to sci.space.station
Craig Fink

Bob the Tomato wrote:

Asking an astronaut to take a pic of you in your backyard is not gonna
happen.

Well, I don't have the e-mail addresses yet. I do understand that ten bucks
isn't a lot of money, and they might have better things to do with their
time. But, I'm pretty sure Astronauts at the Space Station are allowed
personal e-mail. Which the offer would be, ten buck for a personal picture
of me waving from the ground, personally taken by an Astronaut, waving from
the Space Station. Maybe if I find another 999 people in the Clear Lake
area (near JSC) willing to pay ten bucks each, it might be worth their
personal time on orbit. Pick a date and time, and all wave as the Station
flys over.

Anybody have those e-mail addresses?

Anybody willing to pay ten buck for a personal picture, taken from space?

The cameras belong to the govt. The bandwidth to get the digital info
to the ground, and the radios used to transmit that info, likewise
belong to the govt.

Kind of sounds like a monopoly. Aren't there anti-trust laws in Space?

The astronauts can do what they want with their time off, but using
govt resources for private enterprise is out.

Plus, astro time on orbit is somewhere around $75,000 an hour. I
don't want them screwing off and taking long coffee breaks!

So Astronauts don't get any free-time? Time that is theirs, to do what they
want with? Time to do things like open a lemon-aid stand and sell pictures?
Ever heard of packet Ham radio, or personal cameras? Is NASA's concept
really only "Work in Space", or a more futuristic "Live and Work in Space"?

I like the "Live and Work in Space" concept.

Anybody else wave to the Astronauts while watching the Space Station fly
over? Hummm, nobody has said that they do yet? Maybe, it's only me?
Old November 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
Here in the US, it's common practice to give no vacation time for a little
while. After six months to a year, usually a week or two. By the time
someone has been with a company long enough to earn 5-6 weeks of vacation
year, they are about to retire. That is if they didn't get layed off and
had to go back to a week or two of vacation with some other company.

Where I work the maximum is still four weeks of vacation per year. You have
to be with the company 10 years to get to that level.

Jeff