looking for constraints on possible dark solar companions

Old December 18th 11, 02:03 AM posted to sci.astro
tom

Default looking for constraints on possible dark solar companions

I'm looking for any studies that conclude something like, "there no
bodies of at least one solar mass within X AUs of the Sun." X can be
whatever the precision of the study is. For example the study might
conclude that there are no one solar mass (or larger) bodies within
50,000 AUs of the Sun. Something like that. Thanks for any pointers.

Old December 18th 11, 02:34 AM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_67_]

"tom" wrote in message
| I'm looking for any studies that conclude something like, "there no
| bodies of at least one solar mass within X AUs of the Sun." X can be
| whatever the precision of the study is. For example the study might
| conclude that there are no one solar mass (or larger) bodies within
| 50,000 AUs of the Sun. Something like that. Thanks for any pointers.

It's not that simple, a solid can be closer than a fluid and the Sun is a
fluid that would be closer to the solar mass.
The French astronomer E. A. Roche (1820 - 1883) stated "no satellite can
exist closer to a planet than 2.44x its radius or 1.44x from its surface."
This is clearly false, the ISS is well within the Roche limit. However, it
is a solid with tensile strength, a fluid would spread into a ring around
the Earth like Saturn's rings.

Old December 18th 11, 03:53 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear tom

On Dec 17, 7:03*pm, tom wrote:
I'm looking for any studies that conclude something like,
"there no bodies of at least one solar mass within X AUs
of the Sun." X can be whatever the precision of the study
is. For example the study might conclude that there are
no one solar mass (or larger) bodies within 50,000 AUs
of the Sun. Something like that. Thanks for any pointers.

There is a possible 4x Jupiter mass, named Tyche for now, that is not
expected to be found inside the orbit of Pluto. So nothing larger
than that out to 4 light years or so.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.0212

Between gravitational lensing, and perturbations of orbits we can
measure... the area we are in is swept pretty clear.

David A. Smith