"popularity"

Old January 15th 07, 06:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sitav

Default "popularity"

I am always told that "popular" kids tease and mess with you because
they have nothing better to do but at times i have to stand for myself.
But i am always laughing too hard to. What can you say to a kid who
thinks that 2 to the second power is 22?

Old January 15th 07, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

I was never a popular kid at any of the schools I went too, with my folks
moving a lot I went to a good number of schools. I would say that 90% of
what I leared was from reading books on my own and it always seemed to me
that the so called popular kids where the ones that got into trouble the
most.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

ups.com...

Old January 15th 07, 08:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Steve Paul

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
I was never a popular kid at any of the schools I went too, with my folks
moving a lot I went to a good number of schools. I would say that 90% of
what I leared was from reading books on my own and it always seemed to me
that the so called popular kids where the ones that got into trouble the
most.

I was a (pretty) popular kid (even among the teachers and administrators),
but for being an individual who didn't put up with the establishment telling
me how to live my life. I got in trouble a lot for cutting class, smoking
(before we finally got a school sanctioned smoking area), drank, did drugs,
and was sexually active. I was a "freak", and a biker. Favorite hangout, the
smoking area (and not just for butts). When no one was monitoring the doors,
I'd go out to the quadrangle (a small open sky area with trees and benches
in the center of the building), which was reserved for seniors only. I was a
quadrangle regular for all four years of high school, and had more school
friends in upper classes than I did in my own class. Not too many folks had
the nerve to give me any sh*t about it either. If I left upon request, it
was understood that I was making a decision not to cause a scene that would
mean yet another visit to Mr Parker's office. When I was finally a senior, I
had but a few friends left in the school.

I hated privilege, exclusion, and being told what to do and where not to go.
That made me "popular", well-liked, and respected, even if troubled.

None of that stopped me from getting A's and B's in the college prep
curriculum. Most of my friends outside of school were of the border line
drop out and drop out persuasion back in the '70's. But when it came to
actually being in the classrooms, I had an easier time sitting next to
Poindexter in the IPS lab experimenting with Newton's Laws than I did
standing next to Jocko the Place Kicker on the football field.

It was the Jocko's who were "popular", and for the most part, void of common
sense and concern for intelligence.

--
Steve Paul
AstroTech 66ED; StarHoc 6-5; '93 FXRS-C

Old January 15th 07, 09:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Sitav" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am always told that "popular" kids tease and mess with you because
they have nothing better to do but at times i have to stand for myself.
But i am always laughing too hard to. What can you say to a kid who
thinks that 2 to the second power is 22?

How about.........
"Hello Mr President........"

------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security
will deserve neither and lose both."
[Benjamin Franklin]

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it."
[Erasmus]

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
[Thucydides]

Old January 15th 07, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rick Evans[_1_]

"Sitav" wrote in message ups.com...
I am always told that "popular" kids tease and mess with you because
they have nothing better to do but at times i have to stand for myself.

Isn't that a bit of a generalization. In my high school
the senior class officers and student government officers
were popular and well liked students. Maybe you're thinking
of the notorious cliques.

Now, time to get back on topic Sitav. Hint: Planets, stars, galaxies,
comets, telescopes, ...

--

Rick Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old January 15th 07, 11:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
elaich

"Sitav" wrote in news:1168885436.570928.305220
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I am always told that "popular" kids tease and mess with you because
they have nothing better to do but at times i have to stand for myself.
But i am always laughing too hard to. What can you say to a kid who
thinks that 2 to the second power is 22?

What does this have to do with astronomy?

Old January 17th 07, 09:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe Bergeron

In article . com,
Sitav wrote:

What can you say to a kid who
thinks that 2 to the second power is 22?

How about, "Say, speaking of those numbers, did you know that both M2
and M22 are spectacular globular star clusters? Why, I was just looking
at them the other night..."

That ought to get them out of your face soon enough.

--
Joe Bergeron

http://www.joebergeron.com