Comet 73P - a tight fit!

Old April 7th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default Comet 73P - a tight fit!

Hi all,

After a very confusing night with comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann on
Wednesday, I finally figured out that the comet I'd found was in fact
both of the brighter fragments B & C. A bit of investigative work then
led to the conclusion that they should just fit in my widefield scope
setup - they are about 4 degrees apart by my reckoning. So here they
are...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/73P.html

Not the most beautiful of image but I'm just happy to have got them on
the same telescopic frame.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old April 7th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

In article , Pete Lawrence wrote:
Hi all,

After a very confusing night with comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann on
Wednesday, I finally figured out that the comet I'd found was in fact
both of the brighter fragments B & C. A bit of investigative work then
led to the conclusion that they should just fit in my widefield scope
setup - they are about 4 degrees apart by my reckoning. So here they
are...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/73P.html

Not the most beautiful of image but I'm just happy to have got them on
the same telescopic frame.

Well done Pete.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com
Old April 7th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi all,

After a very confusing night with comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann on
Wednesday, I finally figured out that the comet I'd found was in fact
both of the brighter fragments B & C. A bit of investigative work then
led to the conclusion that they should just fit in my widefield scope
setup - they are about 4 degrees apart by my reckoning. So here they
are...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/73P.html

Not the most beautiful of image but I'm just happy to have got them on
the same telescopic frame.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

I concur with Jim. Nice work, Pete.

George

Old April 7th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Although I don't recall seeing any mention of it here on SAA, the B
fragment of 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann has this week undergone an
enormous photometric outburst which raised its magnitude from 12.5 to
9.3 in just days! Currently, it outshines its parent, or C component
and could possibly still be brightening. Fragment G is also within
visual range at 12-13 magnitude and may also be experiencing an
outburst. At least one very recent report indicates that up to 40
separate bodies have been detected on their way to perihelion, most
trailing the C - B comets.

CNJ999

Old April 8th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Thanks Pete, I will try to look at it tonight as the sky should clear
out here in suburban Philadelphia!

Very nice image of Totality...you should make up T-Shirts and sell
them!

Best wishes from across the pond

Ed Murray