Apollo One, the FBI, and Scott Grissom

Old June 13th 04, 12:48 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote in

message ...

Read Deke! Deke Slayton basically said, given the opportunity, he'd

have
assigned Gus to the first landing flight if it were possible.

GT-3 and Apollo 1 weren't necessarily "tame" they were fairly

prestigious
flights... first opportunity to fly a new class of craft and all.

--
Terrell Miller

"Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot

more
willing to die."
Proverb

Thank you, Greg. I've been off the computer since early last evening,
so thank you for "subbing."

Please don't thank me for "subbing" I don't want to be mistaken as for
supporting your theories or agenda.

Old June 13th 04, 01:09 AM
Herb Schaltegger

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote in message
(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

Will somebody please explain where this simulator (which would have to
be hooked up to the CM, the SM, the S-IVB, and the S-I) have been
located?

Daniel has already referred you to the pages of the official report
where this is discussed.

They weren't in the VAB; they were on the pad. They DID
"simulate" power by using external batteries to provide power rather
than the fuel cells (since fuel cells require LOX and LH for
operation, that would have been impossible.) However, the instruments
were not being simulated.

They most certainly were, as anyone who has ever been involved with
ground testing of development, qualification or flight hardware for
spacecraft will tell you. And yes, that includes me.

OK, I'm terrified to ask this question, because I'm sure I already
know what the answer is going to be (I hear this ridiculous reply many
times a day), but here we go: If everything (according to you) was
being simulated, and no real equipment was being tested, then what
caused the fire?

simulated." I claimed that they were. That's ALL I claimed.

Honestly, if your grasp for detail is so poor that you can't even read
your OWN quotes and the replies thereto, why should anyone take anything
you say seriously?

And, as long as I'm asking questions, if everything was being
simulated (which would mean NASA was correct in proclaiming it
"non-hazardous", then why did they have a live rocket on the Launch
Escape Tower?

"Live" in the sense that it contained solid rocket fuel or "live" in the
sense that it was actually ready to pull the CM off the stack and
parachute it a few miles away over the ocean? Clarify your terminology
(a skill you have yet to demonstrate mastery of) and you may get an
answer.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old June 13th 04, 02:04 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
Please don't thank me for "subbing" I don't want to be mistaken as for
supporting your theories or agenda.

Support, hell! It just means that, by sheer random chance, one of her
wild-assed unsupported claims brushed up against the truth.

Old June 13th 04, 02:05 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
If everything (according to you) was
being simulated, and no real equipment was being tested, then what
caused the fire?

How about you first tell us how the RCS could fire without fuel?

why did they have a live rocket on the Launch
Escape Tower?

Why would they have taken it off?

Old June 13th 04, 05:58 AM
LaDonna Wyss

[...]

You don't have to support theories or agenda to step in and address
issues upon which we agree. There's certainly enough antagonism in
here that it is not necessary for you to become defensive when I was
only being civil.
LaDonna
Old June 13th 04, 06:21 AM
LaDonna Wyss

Herb Schaltegger wrote in message ...

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

[...]

Well, now, I guess I'm going to have to repeat what I posted a week
ago in order to answer your question (it truly would be helpful if you
folks would have read it last Sunday): First, what you choose to
believe when I am finished depends on whether you wish to believe
Frank Borman or whether you choose to believe the facts. Borman
claimed the rocket was safetied. That would have meant that yes, it
was actually ready to pull the CM off the stack but no, the pyros had
been safetied (by the pulling out of Panel 150; I'm too tired to go
into THAT tonight, but if you need those details I'll reiterate THAT
part of my earlier post tomorrow.) The evidence, however, indicates
the pyros were not safetied until after the fire (note Borman doesn't
bother to tell Congress WHEN it was safetied--a cute trick every
six-year-old knows.)
Here is what happened during the fi
1. Repeated gimbal torque motor signals.
2. SCS oscillating in roll, pitch, and yaw.
3. LEV accelerometers oscillating in pitch and yaw.
4. RCS jet driver activation commands in all 16 flight directions.
5. 12.4 and 13.6 seconds: Roger switches the entry batteries over to
the main batteries, which not only ensures the suit compressor will
continue functioning but also completes the Emergency Detection System
circuit.
6. 17 seconds: They receive a Program Check Fail and an Error Detect
Fail. These are abort failures. They generate a guidance and
navigation warning, two Master Caution and Warning, and two DSKY
lights.
7. 18.5 seconds: Gus rotates the T-handle to the translation
controller 360 degrees clockwise and switches thrust vector control
on. THIS SWITCHES FROM THE APOLLO GUIDANCE COMPUTER TO MANUAL
ATTITUDE CONTROL.
So the question is: Why is he worried about that in the middle of a
cockpit fire on the ground UNLESS he is afraid the LEV is about to
light? And, as I mentioned before (and this was so interesting to Stu
Roosa that he ordered close-ups of this switch) the BMAG switch had
ALSO been turned off. The BMAGS do not have to be turned off in order
to engage manual attitude control; however, in the event of a guidance
and navigation failure, the BMAGS serve as a back-up so they will
CONTINUE TO SEND ERROR MESSAGES TO THE AGC. Again, another indication
Gus was worried the auto abort was either about to be or already had
been engaged.
Finally, for those who are about to argue THIS point: Once an abort
has been triggered, it cannot be stopped simply by switching off the
EDS. There is a failsafe built in so that in the event of an
electrical failure an auto abort will continue. The only way to stop
it is by switching to manual control.
Time for bed.
LaDonna
Old June 13th 04, 02:37 PM
Herb Schaltegger

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

[...]

The investigative report says they were safed for the entire duration of
the test. What evidence do you have to claim otherwise? Detailed
citation, please.

[...]

Citation to your evidence, please. The investigative report says the
controllers were pinned.

[...]

How come it isn't time for you to answer any of the many questions
presented to you before now? Scott Hedrick's still waiting to know who
your "teammates" are. rk and Michael Gardner are still waiting for you
to address their comments concerning the nature of the alleged
electrical faults you keep insinuating. I'm still waiting to hear you
address the LiOH canister testing you allege should have been done.
Daniel is still waiting for you to address his myriad concerns, as well.

Why is it you have so much time to flame, insult and post more
distractions (see above), and so little time to provide basic
information corroborating or substantiating the conclusions you've
previously asserted?

Old June 13th 04, 03:32 PM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
First, what you choose to
believe when I am finished depends on whether you wish to believe
Frank Borman or whether you choose to believe the facts.

Until you provide verifiable documentation to the contrary, they are one and
the same.

Old June 13th 04, 07:03 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Doug..." wrote in message
She also seems to think that AS-204 was assembled in the VAB and taken
to Pad 37. That's also a laugher.

Not a problem- all she has to do it provide a verifiable road map that shows
the path how this was done.

A current aerial photo won't work, since she could always claim it was
altered. Let her produce a verifiable map or picture from the period showing
the path from the VAB to Pad 37.

As a "skilled investigator" this should be trivially easy for her.