Apollo One, the FBI, and Scott Grissom

Old June 10th 04, 11:17 PM
Derek Lyons

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
If you're truly an "investigator", why don't you spend less time on
idiotic posts like this one and answer Scott Hedrick's questions about
your "team mates", rk's and Michael Gardner's questions and comments
regarding your statement about the electrical loads, currents,
impedances and cabling in the spacecraft, my comments about the LiOH
canister testing you allege should have occurred, or Daniel's comments
regarding the test procedures?

Herb; Could we agree to keep these messages to one a day or so? This
tactic never does really work and merely worsens the signal-to-noise
ratio.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 10th 04, 11:19 PM
Derek Lyons

Could we in future move substantive comments out of the troll threads
into appropriately named threads of their own? It's better netiquette
and hopefully wil make the group read 'cleaner' since it allows for
the killfiling of individuals rather than threads.

(I'm know, I'm guilty too... But I'm taking the pledge.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 10th 04, 11:43 PM
Terrell Miller

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

I am
not "Usenet" savvy.

As evidenced by your reference to a "Post #164" instead of a real,
verifiable reference.

ironic, innit?

--
Terrell Miller

"Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more
willing to die."
Proverb

Old June 11th 04, 03:36 AM
Charleston

"Ami Silberman" wrote:

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message

OM, you are such a windbag. Did I say the hypergolics were on board?
I said they fired the thrusters, and they did fire the thrusters. If
you people are not going to take the time to learn what happened out
there that day, how can you pretend to debate?

Um, I thought that "fired the thrusters" meant "issued the command that
caused the thrusters to fire, causing the thrusters to operate in such a
manner as to cause thrust."

It does mean exactly that when they are connected correctly. The you can
operate them dry or wet.

Dry = no propellants.

Wet = propellants loaded. NASA has a silly habit. They label such things
"loaded". They do this in many different ways so that unsuspecting workers
don't get killed. Where the hell is Kim Keller when we need him?

Daniel

Old June 11th 04, 04:16 AM
Doug...

om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:14:55 -0500, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

Actually, I was rebutting the assertion made by LaDonna that the RCS
thrusters actually fired during the test.

...What gets me is that she actually thinks that anyone would fire any
sort of reaction engine that produces such toxic gasses in a
semi-enclosed environment such as the area around the CM during the
plugs-out test.

Actually, I *think* that what scott and his followers are referring to
is a Service Module RCS hot-fire. IIRC, even on Block I capsules, they
never did a hot fire on the CM's RCS until fairly shortly before
separating from the SM.

snip

Bottom Line: The RCS fuel is nasty stuff, and there's no way in
****ing hell that it would have been tested on the ground as LaDip****
or "scott" claims it was. In fact, the tanks weren't even fueled up
that far in advance of the launch, which was still, IIRC, almost a
month away. Even if they were, doing a test firing like that would
have a) been hazardous if not fatal to the Pad Crew, and b) would have
contaminated at best the entire White Room and adjacent work areas.

Remember, though, that what was later called the "wet CDDT" (the full
dress rehearsal of the countdown, including propellant loading, etc.)
had just been completed on AS-204 a few days prior to the fatal Plugs-
Out Test. (The Schirra crew was inside CSM 012 for portions of that
earlier test.) If I'm not mistaken, the wet CDDT included the fueling
of all the booster and spacecraft systems (including the CSM's
cryogenics, the SPS propellants and the RCS propellants). I know that,
once you loaded the hydrazine/nitrogen tetroxide fuels, you had a finite
remaining lifetime of the propulsion systems, since the fuels were
corrosive to the seals. What I'm not at all certain of is whether or
not the SPS and RCS tanks were emptied and re-filled between the CDDT
and the actual launch. The cryogenics were definitely emptied and later
refilled -- does anyone have a definitive answer for the SPS and RCS
tanks?

The point is that the RCS tanks were indeed filled for the earlier wet
CDDT, and that they *may* have still been filled during the Plugs-Out
Test. But since they weren't going to retract the White Room or the
access platforms for the Plugs-Out Test, but still wanted to exercise
the procedures for the hot fire test, the RCS was disabled and the hand
controllers wired into an RCS response simulator for the Plugs-Out Test.
Since the S-11 switch and the hand controllers (among other things) all
fed into the wiring that was redirected to the response simulator, there
is *absolutely* no way that any manipulation of them could *possibly*
have caused any response of any kind back in the SM.

Doug