Ram Disk follow-up

Old October 27th 03, 03:58 AM
Leor Zolman

Default Ram Disk follow-up

A short while after posting my suggestion to use a RAMdisk to speed up
image processing with tools such as Registax, the RAMdisk utility I
was using at the time went belly-up on my machine. After searching
almost from here to the Kuiper Belt for one that actually serves my
needs, I *think* (nothing's for certain when software's involved) I've
found one I can trust. The good news: it is free (well, sort of...)

The page is he

http://www.ramdisk.tk

The version you can download directly is limited to a 64M RAMdisk
size, but you can email the author for a version that will go as big
as anyone should realistically need. He'll send it to you, and suggest
a modest $10-or-so donation. As soon as he sends me his PayPal info, I
plan to pay him--because this thing works, and I've seen enough
turkeys to get a feel for how hard M$ must be making it for folks to
get one of these bad boys to work.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks without a single glitch, but
there are a couple of minor inconveniences. Inconvenience #1: control
of the drive parameters is via the Hardware Device Manager, and
getting to the right spot takes a bunch of mousing around. A shortcut
with the following command target:
CONTROL.EXE sysdm.cpl, system, 2
saves a bit of time by taking me right to the Device Manager button.
If there's a faster way to get to the RAMdisk property sheet within
Device Manager, I haven't found it yet.

Minor inconvenience #2: There seems to be no way to "just disable" the
RAMdisk; the closest I've been able to come without removing it from
Device Manager completely is to select a size of 1M. The size/drive
assignment may be done without rebooting, so that much is nice.

On my 512Meg XP Home notebook, I just leave a 168M RAMdisk up all the
time, and haven't noticed any significant slowdown of the system
overall (of course, when I'm actually using the RAMdisk I definitely
enjoy the speed-up...and when I'm done processing, I copy anything
"important" off the RAMdisk immediately).

Since HD throughput seems to be the greatest bottleneck on notebooks,
I think that's where the greatest benefit of using a RAMdisk lies.
There'd be less of a benefit on a desktop sporting a speedier high-end
HD.

Clear Skies,
-leor