I watched Apollo 18 last night

Old February 8th 12, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark

Default I watched Apollo 18 last night

On Feb 3, 8:39*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 4/02/2012 10:30 AM, Jonathan wrote:

"David *wrote in message
m...
Jonathan wrote:
One question the movie raised for me.
Could the astronauts take off from the
Moon, rendezvous and return to Earth, even
if Houston was actively trying to stop them
from getting back home?

Umm didn't see Apollo 18, maybe will on cable pay-per-view, not sure.

How did they handle the story line of the CM pilot just, well,
saying see you guys (or whatever you are) later....

That would be a spoiler.

Though for those who don't intend to see the movie, or don't care about
spoilers, the Wikipedia article for the movie contains a plot summary,
including the ending.

Sylvia.

All in all I'd give the movie a thumbs up. I think science fiction
fans would like it best though. It did have some shock moments for
horror fans.
An aspect of the movie I liked is that the mission landed at the
lunar south pole near one of the permanently shadowed craters. There
was some dialogue in fact about not going too far down into the crater
since their suits were not rated for temperatures that low.

Missions to some of these permanently shadowed craters are in fact
being now contemplated since orbital observations suggest these might
have deposits with a high proportion of cometary ice, organic
materials, and minerals that could be used for propellant or to
support a lunar colony.
And since such deposits from comets, which are believed to have
delivered the building blocks of life to Earth, would be preserved in
pristine condition from early in the solar systems history, who knows
what else they could contain ...

Bob Clark

Old February 9th 12, 12:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Jonathan

"Robert Clark" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 8:39 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 4/02/2012 10:30 AM, Jonathan wrote:

"David wrote in message
m...
Jonathan wrote:
One question the movie raised for me.
Could the astronauts take off from the
Moon, rendezvous and return to Earth, even
if Houston was actively trying to stop them
from getting back home?

Umm didn't see Apollo 18, maybe will on cable pay-per-view, not sure.

How did they handle the story line of the CM pilot just, well,
saying see you guys (or whatever you are) later....

That would be a spoiler.

Though for those who don't intend to see the movie, or don't care about
spoilers, the Wikipedia article for the movie contains a plot summary,
including the ending.

Sylvia.

And since such deposits from comets, which are believed to have
delivered the building blocks of life to Earth, would be preserved in
pristine condition from early in the solar systems history, who knows
what else they could contain ...

It seems so hard to imagine life on the Moon, but I think
the ultimate initial condition for life is just some kind of
persistant energy gradient. Life and self organization thrives
from changes in state.

Bob Clark

Old February 9th 12, 05:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
B0b Mosley

....I downloaded a really good-quality Russian copy of this off the
torrents when it premiered. It has sat in the downloads folder,
unwatched, ever since. I suspect someone'll chop it up into 15 minute
segments and throw it up - literally and expurgorically - on YouTube
in a month or three. Then I'll download a low-rez reference copy,
throw it into my YouTube Space History clip archive under the Apollo
Missions section under an "Apollo 18" folder, where it will remain
unwatched for an indefinite time. After reading the reviews and the
Movie Spoiler synop, I wouldn't pass up two hours of ABC's pathetic
coverage of the JFK Assassination - considering the most bumbling
network catastrophy coverage in US TV history - to watch even the last
20 minutes of this mess where all the action is supposed to take
place.

Living lunar regolith. Has anyone bothered to call Steve Baxter and
tell him to inquire as to whether the choads who made this mess ever
read "Anti-Ice"?

[shakes head in utter dismay, but not enough to cause dizziness]

OM
Old February 10th 12, 12:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Jonathan

"B0b Mosley" wrote in message

...I downloaded a really good-quality Russian copy of this off the
torrents when it premiered. It has sat in the downloads folder,
unwatched, ever since. I suspect someone'll chop it up into 15 minute
segments and throw it up - literally and expurgorically - on YouTube
in a month or three. Then I'll download a low-rez reference copy,
throw it into my YouTube Space History clip archive under the Apollo
Missions section under an "Apollo 18" folder, where it will remain
unwatched for an indefinite time. After reading the reviews and the
Movie Spoiler synop,

Why would anyone want to read the plot details first
unless they wanted to dislike something?
That takes all the fun out of it.

I wouldn't pass up two hours of ABC's pathetic
coverage of the JFK Assassination - considering the most bumbling
network catastrophy coverage in US TV history - to watch even the last
20 minutes of this mess where all the action is supposed to take
place.

Sometimes the idea of a movie or book is just the few hours
immersed in some other place or time. To do that a movie
doesn't have to be all that good, just good enough.

Living lunar regolith. Has anyone bothered to call Steve Baxter and
tell him to inquire as to whether the choads who made this mess ever
read "Anti-Ice"?

[shakes head in utter dismay, but not enough to cause dizziness]

OM

What I liked about this movie wasn't so much the quality
of the plot and acting etc. But I appreciated what the
were trying to do, which was somewhat novel and
effective.

They were trying to combine a whole host of different
themes, and in a way where none of them dominated
over the others.

It tried to keep the science fact aspect pretty accurate.
But it also had aspects of sci-fi, horror, conspiracy theory,
vampires, castaway, outbreak, reality tv and all mashed
together inside a claustrophobic LEM and a couple
of space suits. Even the life forms were barely shown
or explained.

About the only things they made a fuss about were those
motion activated cameras, but all they did was give
jumbled images blinking on and off all the time.

It was better than average sci-fi in my opinion.
But then, I wanted to like it.

Jonathan

Old February 10th 12, 06:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark

On Feb 9, 7:19*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
[...]

That's a good defense of the movie. It's not great art, but fans of
the genre could enjoy it.
A better recent film with a lunar theme would be "Moon".

Bob Clark
Old February 10th 12, 04:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Howard Brazee

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 22:05:31 -0800 (PST), Robert Clark
wrote:

That's a good defense of the movie. It's not great art, but fans of
the genre could enjoy it.
A better recent film with a lunar theme would be "Moon".

For various values of "better". The basic environment that ran the
plot made absolutely no sense at all. Big Bad corporations had to
spend lots of extra money in order to do what they did. Lots.

- James Madison
Old February 11th 12, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Jonathan

"Robert Clark" wrote in message

That's a good defense of the movie. It's not great art, but fans of
the genre could enjoy it.
A better recent film with a lunar theme would be "Moon".

Bob Clark

I like that movie too, it was better.
There's not nearly enough good sci-fi around.

Old February 22nd 12, 04:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science

On Feb 8, 11:22*am, Robert Clark wrote:
On Feb 3, 8:39*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

On 4/02/2012 10:30 AM, Jonathan wrote:

"David *wrote in message
m...
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

I saw it an to me it was totally stupid. Why would the astronauts use
strobe lights in a dark crater instead of a regular flashlight? Of
course, it was merely a plot device. What a bunch of hooey. Stupid
movie.
Old February 22nd 12, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark

On Feb 22, 11:34*am, M wrote:

I saw it an to me it was totally stupid. Why would the astronauts use
strobe lights in a dark crater instead of a regular flashlight? Of
course, it was merely a plot device. What a bunch of hooey. Stupid
movie.

One might argue that in complete darkness a flashlight would have
limited extent of illumination. A flash could provide bright
illumination and a further illuminated area but only for a short time.
But were the justifications of the strobe lights in 'Alien'?

Bob Clark
Old February 23rd 12, 11:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
GordonD

On Feb 22, 11:34 am, M wrote:

I saw it an to me it was totally stupid. Why would the astronauts use
strobe lights in a dark crater instead of a regular flashlight? Of
course, it was merely a plot device. What a bunch of hooey. Stupid
movie.

One might argue that in complete darkness a flashlight would have
limited extent of illumination. A flash could provide bright
illumination and a further illuminated area but only for a short time.
But were the justifications of the strobe lights in 'Alien'?

One of the most stupid plot devices I ever saw along those lines was in an
animated series for kids, many many years ago, where the heroes were
investigating reports of ghostly figures seen prowling in the woods in a
remote country area. It turned out to be the crew of a crashed Soviet lunar
mission - they were wearing luminous pressure suits because (naturally) they
were supposed to land on the dark side of the Moon...
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."