Need personal accounts of Soyuz entry experiences

Old May 6th 07, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
norman

Default Need personal accounts of Soyuz entry experiences

On Fri, 04 May 2007 12:09:22 -0500, Jim Oberg wrote:

Need personal accounts of Soyuz entry experiences

Does anybody have any good links to personal spacefarer accounts of what
it FEELS like to come back to Earth in a Soyuz? I've found a number
of good on-orbit diaries and 'letters home' but they all seem to end with
a brief, 'then we landed', kind of terminal sentence. I'd like to find some
personal
accounts of the human experience -- sights, sounds, pressures, even smells
of
the process. Help, please -- for a feature article.

JimO

I seem to recall having read some good descriptions by Mike Shuttleworth
and posted on the internet. Sorry, I do not have any links.

Norman

Old May 6th 07, 11:04 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Jochem Huhmann

"Jim Oberg" writes:

Mike, this is great -- the best account so far!!
Thank you!!

There's an account from Anousheh Ansari of what happens *after* reentry
on her blog: http://spaceblog.xprize.org/2006/10/05/second-birth/

Quote: "Before descent, Jeff reminded me to make sure I moved slowly
upon landing and to keep my head steady... This helps with the
vestibular system’s readjustment to gravity. I followed his instruction
and made sure that I did not make any sudden movements. The head of the
Training Center handed me an apple that looked appetizing but as soon as
I started to take a bite someone from the medical team started shaking
his head telling me not to eat it... I guess he was worried that it
would make me feel sick. I waited a while but the apple looked too good
to give up so I started taking small bites."

I quite sure to remember reading something from her about the actual
reentry back then, but I can't find it now.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old May 10th 07, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Jochem Huhmann" wrote in message
I quite sure to remember reading something from her about the actual
reentry back then, but I can't find it now.

From the Soyuz Flight Attendant Manual (translation to russian outsourced to
China): "Please to be remembering the fate of John Glenn when there be
streaming flaming chucks of cabin outside viewport."