46P, can't see

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10th 18, 11:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default 46P, can't see

Mike Collins wrote:
StarDust wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 9:13:17 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 23:15:38 -0000 (UTC), Mike Collins

I just found it again from my back yard. Not perfect seeing. I can just
make out the Milky Way but only one star in the bowl of USA minor is
visible. I make it out to about 8 seconds of arc.

8 _minutes_ of arc?

That's very small?
Few people here saying the comet is very large.
Maybe the brightest part, the nucleus of the comet is 8 arc minutes?

I went by the side of the comet I could see. I used the apparent distance
between the nearby stars to estimate the size. It was exact where Luminos
predicted. From the darker sky site I used for my first observation it
might have been larger but you are observing from a city with light
pollution maybe worse than my village. Getting in my car to observe the
comet wasn’t an option last night due to early sampling of Christmas port.

I went to a darker sky area a couple of miles away and the comet was easy
in 10x50 binoculars but not visible with the naked eye. It was-1.5C and, as
common at this time of year in Norfolk fog was beginning to form over the
fields. I’m not good at estimating the brightness of extended objects like
comets but it was less bright than the Orion Nebula and M31 and about 10 or
12 minutes of arc.
The comet was also visible in the 8x40 binoculars I keep in the car for
wildlife and bird watching.