"Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider"

Old October 26th 16, 08:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default "Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider"

Pete Birks, not for the first time, has introduced me to a phrase I hadn't heard before - "Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider".
It perfectly describes how I came to feel about the arcane world of variable star observing. It didn't matter what I did, how many discoveries I made, how many papers I had published or what support I offered people I was never, ever, going to be allowed into the influencial inner circle of the hobby and of the American Association of Variable Star Observers. It is a shame it took me so long to realise this!
Old October 26th 16, 04:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 03:49:45 UTC-4, wrote:
Pete Birks, not for the first time, has introduced me to a phrase I hadn't heard before - "Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider".
It perfectly describes how I came to feel about the arcane world of variable star observing. It didn't matter what I did, how many discoveries I made, how many papers I had published or what support I offered people I was never, ever, going to be allowed into the influencial inner circle of the hobby and of the American Association of Variable Star Observers. It is a shame it took me so long to realise this!

Variable star observing: The "chartered accountancy" of amateur astronomy!
Old October 26th 16, 08:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 3:49:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Pete Birks, not for the first time, has introduced me to a phrase I hadn't heard before - "Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider".
It perfectly describes how I came to feel about the arcane world of variable
star observing. It didn't matter what I did, how many discoveries I made, how
many papers I had published or what support I offered people I was never, ever,
going to be allowed into the influencial inner circle of the hobby and of the
edit. It is a shame it took me so long to realise this!

Given that the organization has several thousand members, it should not be surprising that only a few get into the "inner circle." You could try starting your own organization, however. Others might feel as you do.

Old October 26th 16, 08:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 11:24:21 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 03:49:45 UTC-4, wrote:

edit

Variable star observing: The "chartered accountancy" of amateur astronomy!

It's actually quite fascinating, it's Real Science and not much in the way of equipment is needed to get started.
Old October 26th 16, 11:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 11:24:21 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 03:49:45 UTC-4, wrote:

edit

Variable star observing: The "chartered accountancy" of amateur astronomy!

It's actually quite fascinating, it's Real Science and not much in the
way of equipment is needed to get started.

In the 1979s I knew a committed variable star observer. His equipment
consisted of an old submariners' rubber suit (I assume an escape suit)
which he wore in the local park to keep him dry as he lay down on the wet
grass comparing his chosen variables against comparison stars. He also wore
the suit on the bus as he travelled to the park.

Old October 27th 16, 02:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 6:42:56 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 11:24:21 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 03:49:45 UTC-4, wrote:

edit

Variable star observing: The "chartered accountancy" of amateur astronomy!

It's actually quite fascinating, it's Real Science and not much in the
way of equipment is needed to get started.

In the 1979s I knew a committed variable star observer. His equipment
consisted of an old submariners' rubber suit (I assume an escape suit)
which he wore in the local park to keep him dry as he lay down on the wet
grass comparing his chosen variables against comparison stars. He also wore
the suit on the bus as he travelled to the park.

Your Lord Mayor, no doubt. And we wonder why the UK is a third rate power.
Old October 27th 16, 06:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 00:42:56 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

In the 1979s I knew a committed variable star observer. His equipment
consisted of an old submariners' rubber suit (I assume an escape suit)
which he wore in the local park to keep him dry as he lay down on the wet
grass comparing his chosen variables against comparison stars. He also wore
the suit on the bus as he travelled to the park.

That's probably a rubber fetish rather than the more usual equipment fetish.
Even cave divers have been known to ride on buses.
Lying down in the park is apt to seem rather small beer to them.
Though the element of risk [of arrest] might hold some allure. ;-)
Old October 27th 16, 11:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:27:39 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/10/2016 08:49, wrote:
Pete Birks, not for the first time, has introduced me to a phrase I
hadn't heard before - "Group of the Doomed To be An Outsider". It
perfectly describes how I came to feel about the arcane world of
variable star observing. It didn't matter what I did, how many
discoveries I made, how many papers I had published or what support I
offered people I was never, ever, going to be allowed into the
influencial inner circle of the hobby and of the American Association
of Variable Star Observers. It is a shame it took me so long to
realise this!

You could always join the BAA VSS group if AAVSO won't have you.

The OP was complaining that an organization won't let him into its "inner circle," not that it won't let him become a (dues-paying) member of the organization.

He might have a valid point or he might have a misguided sense of entitlement.

It would be as if you were a member of an astronomy club where you participated in all of the grunt work for years, knew your stuff WRT astronomy, but never got nominated or voted in for office or board, or any recognition.