Ares I-X Status Report - July 27, 2009

Old July 29th 09, 09:25 PM posted to sci.space.news
ron

Default Ares I-X Status Report - July 27, 2009

July 27, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468

STATUS REPORT: ARES-I-X-072709

ARES I-X STATUS REPORT

Launch Vehicle: Ares I-X
Launch Date: October 31
Launch Pad: 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla.

Ares I-X Flight Hardware
Last week's milestones include:

- New launch date
The Constellation Program has recommended setting Oct. 31, 2009, as
the new target launch date for the Ares I-X test flight. This change
is the result of a detailed schedule assessment performed as
follow-on to the Ares I-X Mate Review, which was conducted June 30 -
July 1. The purpose of the mate review was to evaluate readiness to
begin stacking major vehicle components on the mobile launch
platform. The complexity of all known work and challenges ahead to
achieve a successful test flight were identified, as well as
logistics and personnel constraints. This data was then used to
determine an aggressive yet achievable new launch date. The date
change is currently being reviewed by NASA Headquarters, with formal
determination expected by the end of July.

- Electrical instrumentation testing

Recent milestones completed include:
- Forward center motor segment stacking

- Final of four motor segments stacking

- Stack 1 modal test
A series of sensors strategically located throughout the stack
measured the amount and direction of movement, as the
electro-mechanical shakers imposed random loads to determine the
rocket segment's first several bending modes.

Next processing milestones:
- 7/29: Super Stack 1 lift and mate to the RSRM on MLP 1 in Vehicle
Assembly Building High Bay 3

- Flight instrumentation testing ongoing

Ares I-X Ground Support Equipment
- At Launch Pad 39B, modifications are ongoing.

The Ares I-X flight test will provide NASA an early opportunity to
check and prove hardware, analysis and modeling methods, and
facilities and ground operations needed to develop the Ares I, which
is NASA's next crew launch vehicle. The test also will allow NASA to
gather critical data during the ascent of the integrated stack, which
will help inform the design of the Ares I rocket and the Orion crew
exploration vehicle. The data will ensure the entire vehicle system
is safe and fully operational before astronauts begin traveling in it
to the International Space Station and moon.

For more information about the Ares I-X flight test, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

Previous status reports are available at:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...tus/index.html

-end-