Galaxy is forming new stars, in tail-like regions well away fromits galactic disk

Old January 27th 10, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro
gb[_3_]

Default Galaxy is forming new stars, in tail-like regions well away fromits galactic disk

On Jan 25, 3:55*pm, Antares 531 wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:59:45 -0800 (PST), gb wrote:
On Jan 24, 1:42*pm, Antares 531 wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:37:20 -0800 (PST), gb wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:37 am, Antares 531 wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:31:57 -0800 (PST), gb wrote:
The two tails are the two ends of the main spiral arms.

Galaxies have two main arms which begin giving off mass
at one point.

Michio Kaku was one of those scientists who showed
that without dark matter a galaxy would not stay together.

When the dark matter energy bubble is disrupted, possibly
from a near collision at the galaxy core with a small galaxy,
the dark matter machine gives up.

Are the spiral shapes of galaxies caused by some form of the Coriolis
effect such as that which causes the weather patterns on Earth to have
this same spiral shape?

If the three spatial dimensions of our discernable universe are
curved, but to an almost infinite radius, while the other seven
spatial dimensions of the multiverse are still curled up to less than
a Planck Length, the curvature of our spatial dimensions could produce
a Coriolis effect similar to that produced by the curved surface of
the earth. Are the galaxy spirals an indication that our universe is
indeed curved?

Is this dark matter perhaps the mass in those other universes that
form the multiverse of String/SuperString/Membrane Theory?

Gordon

What Michio Kaku implied is that the galaxy curves up into spiral
shapes because of dark matter, which recently was mapped
and appears as a ball around the galaxy, a vertically stretching ball,
not sideways stretching ball with the galaxy.

Michio said (2004) that if we remove dark matter, the galaxy falls
apart, as
there would not be much gravity left to hold it together.

This may be right, but I'm still wondering if this whole setup might
not involve nexus holes into another universe of the multiverse.

The idea is simple. Dark matter represents 90 percent of the
mass in a galaxy. If this dark matter vanishes, the galaxy breaks
apart, which
the picture shows in what happens with a galaxy
when that happens, because it is dark matter which keeps
a galaxy together. Something happened with dark matter
in that galaxy, the galaxy cannot keep itself together.
It's spiral arms, two of them start stretching long in space,
not circling any more the galaxy.

The strange thing is that mass which gets ejected is left behind.

Galaxies travel in space like trains, even accelerate on their course
for some reason.

I'm by no means an expert in these matters. I worked as an aerospace
physicist during my career, and concentrated on navigation and
guidance within this space/time universe we are able to perceive.

But, I wonder if perhaps the dark matter you mention is actually the
ordinary matter in those other universes associated with this universe
we perceive. SuperString/Membrane Theory posits 11 total dimensions,
one temporal and 10 spatial dimensions in the multiverse.

I have no disagreement concerning your statement that dark matter
keeps the galaxies together, but I wonder if that dark matter is
somehow the effects of the ordinary matter in the other universes of
the multiverse, that somehow interacts through the galaxy core "nexus"
and produces an effect in this universe we perceive.

As to galaxies traveling through space and even accelerating, it seems
this would be normal. That is, nothing is holding all the galaxies in
a stable position relative to our and other galaxies. Each galaxy is
subject to the net gravitational forces that exist in the region of
that galaxy, and those net gravitational forces aren't likely to be
equal in magnitude or orientation, throughout the universe. Each
galaxy produces a gravitational attraction for the other galaxies,
especially those closest to it. This would tend to pull them into a
"train" of galaxies, I would think.

Gordon

You can ask Michio Kaku on his web page, he is the one who researches
questions in the way you put it. Galaxies do get pulled into trains of
galaxies, the Universe looks like a sponge, with channels carrying
billions of galaxies in one direction.

Old January 29th 10, 09:25 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
The two tails extend out 200,000 light-years from the galactic centre of
ESO 137-001.

Do you mean two tails pointing in different directions or the "X-ray
tail" and the "H-alpha tail," which coincide spatially and are well
known? They are presumably the same physical tail, seen at two
different wavelengths.

Secondly, the galaxy has a nearby companion galaxy, ESO
137-002, which also has a tail. Sounds like these two interacted with
each other in the past

It does sound that way the way you write it, but is there any
evidence for interaction?

The journal article is at:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0004-6.../72057.web.pdf
and there's a somewhat coherent press release at:
http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/07_...ss_092007.html

the scientists who discovered it are having trouble explaining the
tails at all, so maybe it's more complicated than that.

The X-ray/H-alpha tail arises from ram pressure stripping of the
galaxy's gas as the galaxy moves through the cluster. (I don't know
why this would seem difficult to explain.) The question is exactly
why stars are forming in the stripped gas. Evidently dense gas is
formed somehow, but it isn't obvious how. Neither, of course, is it
obvious dense gas should not form. It would take detailed modeling
to tell whether there's a problem or not.

I think the OP was victimized by yet another confusing press release.

Galaxy Has Two 'Tails' - Star-producing ones nonetheless - Softpedia
"Scientists at the Michigan State University (MSU) recently used the
famous Chandra X-ray telescope to peer deep within the Universe, and
discover one of the most peculiar galaxies out there today. The space
formation features stellar nurseries, just like any other normal galaxy,
but it does not include them within its confines. In other words, the
nurseries are located in two gas tails that the galaxy carries with it
wherever it goes. This is something that astrophysicists find
ridiculously hard to explain, or even begin to comprehend. Galaxies
don't usually carry tails with them, let alone two of them."
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Galax...s-132801.shtml

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old January 31st 10, 07:36 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.research
bert

Default Supermassive black hole rotation & host galaxy rotation

On Jan 27, 12:12 pm, dlzc wrote:
Dear eric gisse:

On Jan 27, 2:26 am, eric gisse wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

[...]

Submitted to SPR as well. Likely attract better
discussion - or nothing.

In most galaxies, their central blackhole's axis is
pretty much aligned perpendicular with their
galaxy's disk plane. The jets of a black hole come
out of its axis. So I don't see how black hole jets
smashing into the medium at right angles to its
galactic disk would in anyway affect the shape
of its disk.

It wouldn't - he is saying something that loosely
translates to "not even wrong".

Black hole jetting is a largely local phenomena. The
area around the black hole, and the areas the
beamline nails are affected. That's it - and 'affected'
gets to be a pretty weak term pretty quick.

Stuff forms in a disc for a reason: angular momentum.

Small correction: Stuff stays axially symmetric due to angular
momentum. It forms down into a disk via *friction* (and frame
dragging?).

I am reasonably certain that we do not know even
one black hole whose accretion disk's inclination is
well known enough to make a determination whether
it lies in the same plane of its' host galaxy or not.
The local access hatch to nothing over at Sgr. A*
has a pretty damn wide parameter space for
inclination that spans pretty much everything
between 0 and 90 degrees depending which model
you believe.

It is, however, my personal instinct that the rotation
of the supermassive black hole and thus its'
accretion disk are (more or less) in the same plane
as the rotation of the galaxy.

Unless there have been "recent" mergers of two or more galaxies...

[[Mod. note -- 28 very-excessively-quoted lines snipped. -- jt]]

David If rotation of a black hole in center of spiral galaxies
createsthe overal rotation of the galaxy it begs this question. Are
the stars in lock step? Does gravity do this like spokes in a wheel?
When I spin a fresbee I do it from its out edge. So a BH does it by
creating a vortex at its center. What if the BH is turning in one
direction and its rim in the other direction? I wonder in the micro
realm if all particle pairs have to have opposite spin ?? TreBert

[[Mod. note -- The answer to each of your questions is "no".

What we think is going on with galaxies & central black holes (BHs)
is more that some of the processes that (in as-yet-ill-understood
ways) shape the formation and growth of a galaxy also affect (in
as-yet-ill-understood ways) the formation and growth of its central
BH in such a way that some properties of the BH are closely correlated
with some properties of the host galaxy.
-- jt]]
Old February 4th 10, 06:32 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.physics.research
bert

On Jan 31, 2:36 pm, bert wrote:
[[Mod. note -- 58 very-excessively-quoted lines snipped. -- jt]]
[...]

-- jt]]- Hide quoted text -

Massive fast spinning BH can create a vortex in space,and this is
shown to us as a very strong magnetic field is projected out of it
going all the way to Earth. TreBert

[[Mod. note -- The strength of the "vortex in space" to which you refer
decays very rapidly with distance from the BH, so it's negligible for
any objects which aren't *very* close to the BH. The same applies to
magnetic-field effects from the BH. In particular, these effects from
a central BH are utterly negligible for stars in the galaxy.
-- jt]]