Orion Atlas Mount?

Old February 10th 06, 07:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Orion Atlas Mount?

Anyone have any experience with this mount? I'm considering the newest one
with "Goto" but can't find anything on it. I'm concerned about the quality
of the electronics---not a strong suite with Orion---and the height maximum.

Doink

Old February 10th 06, 08:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I'm considering the newest one
with "Goto" but can't find anything on it. I'm concerned about the quality
of the electronics---not a strong suite with Orion---and the height maximum.

Doink

I'd check Cloudy Nights for review and/or discussion.

Phil
Old February 10th 06, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Doink wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I'm considering the newest
one with "Goto" but can't find anything on it. I'm concerned about the
quality of the electronics---not a strong suite with Orion---and the
height maximum.

Doink

I'd check Cloudy Nights for review and/or discussion.

Phil

You might want to go he

More data here on this mount than probably anywhere on the planet...

It's a Yahoo group, and you may have to join the group to see the posts.
There have been over 10,500 posts to this group, which is about this
mount... It includes experiences from MANY owners, how-to's, work arounds,
adn fixes. More than you ever wanted to know about this mount... There's
much more about the non-GOTO than the newer, GOTO version, but there have
been posts about that, too... Have fun...

Old February 10th 06, 08:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:
[...]

Oops! I meant that as a reply to Doink, but if you haven't been there, and
have any interest in that mount, this is a good place to get it...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3

Old February 10th 06, 08:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Note my mis-directed response under Phil Wheeler.

Also note that the Atlas is really the Synta EQ6 mount, which Orion SELLS as
the Atlas. The fact that Orion is selling it under their badge has no
bearing on the electronics, or the rest of the mechanics.

The pluses and minuses of these mounts are quite well known by now. Over
10,500 posts about this mount can be found on the Yahoo EQ6 Group mentioned
in my earlier post. While the majority of the discussion are about the
non-GOTO earlier version, there have been discussions about the new one as
well...

Old February 10th 06, 09:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Doink" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I'm considering the newest
one with "Goto" but can't find anything on it. I'm concerned about the
quality of the electronics---not a strong suite with Orion---and the
height maximum.

Doink

My observing buddy has the SkyWatched EQ-6 with SkyScan, and it is actually
a very nice GoTo system. When it slews at high speed, it is a lot less
"grindy" and a lot more pleasant sounding than others. It's not as loud, and
it's accuracy is excellent (as are most). It is very well self-contained
with just the one cable from the handset being exposed (just like the fork
mount scopes), and the power cable to battery or AC adapter going to the
base of the head.

Not sure about the tracking accuracy for imaging, but it is a definitely a
fine, robust visual mount. It handles my C9.25 with an AstroZap aluminum
dewshield like butta'.

I've even considered the possibility of selling my G-11w/DSCs to get one of
my own. But, it will need to track well for imaging. The G-11 is an amazing
(disgusting) weave of wires when you have the drive cables, DSC cables, ST-4
cables, anti-dew heater cable from the controller to the scope objective,
and the power cables for all four items, plus the DSLR shutter release
cable. Not to mention if you use a laptop with a CCD.

Eliminating the drive wires, the DSC cables and the DSC power cable suddenly
seems like a real plus. :-)

-Stephen

Old February 10th 06, 09:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Jan Owen wrote:
"Jan Owen" wrote in message

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
. ..

Doink wrote:

[...]

Always interested in new info, Jan. I just picked up a new 80 mm APO and
may want an EQ mount for it in time for imaging .. though I suspect any
mount called "Atlas" may be more robust than needed

Phil
Old February 10th 06, 10:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Doink wrote:

[...]

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope, unless you are
planning on imaging. And if you are planning on imaging, I'm not sure how
good a platform it is... Sturdy enough, for sure, but tracking, while fine
for visual, may or may NOT be for imaging.

FYI, I use my 94mm APO visually on an Orion SkyView Pro mount, and like it a
lot... But I DON'T use it for imaging...

Old February 10th 06, 11:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.2 KDE 3.3
Old February 10th 06, 11:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"AM" wrote in message
Jan Owen wrote:

The Atlas/EQ6 may be just a tad large for that scope,

There is no such thing !!!!!!!!

--
AM

No such thing as WHAT???